Tricare for Life Question

DJW

Ok, the DW and I both turn 65 this month. We have received from SS our Medicare cards which we kept and as I understand this if you did not send them back you are automatically enrolled in Medicare. We both received letters from SS indicating that the $104.xx will be deducted from our SS checks beginning in May. Today we received a e-mail from Tricare indicating that the DW has been de-enrolled from Tricare Prime effective 30 April 2015. However no where did it state that she will automatically be enrolled in Tricare For Life only that she was de-enrolled from Tricare. She has doubled checked DEERS and all our information is current and up to date. She has her initial appointment with her new Doctor the first part of June when we get back to BV, AR. If she read the Medicare booklet correctly this first visit and all the testing is on Medicare? Does she need to do anything to make sure she is now enrolled in Tricare for Life so the next time she goes to the Doctor the 20 percent plus the deductible is covered by Tricare for Life and she is still eligible to use Express Script for her meds?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

You should not need yo do anything as long as you are up to date with DEERS. You do need to get new military ID cards. As example my ID cards was due to expire in March. Went to Pensacola for a new one and they issued me one that is only good until my 65th birthday in August. I need to renew it before 8\1. Its about having the date on the back showing eligibility for medical care. This applies to the retired member as well as the spouse. You need to take your Medicare card with you to the ID office.

You can go online to make an appointment at any pass and ID office.

Be aware of dates for certain annual blood work and mammigrams. They must be 365+1 day apart or you will not be covered

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

You said you have both parts A and B.

go to tricare4u.com and register, this should then become your default site for tricare for life

contact them at 1-866-773-0404, they will walk you thru any problems or questions.

Humana Military (tricare prime) automatically dropped you on the first day of your birthday month. As per your deers info. Since you have parts A and B

Make sure when you see a Doctor that you show them your medicare card (carry it with you) because the med billing needs this to change you from Tricare prime to medicare part A&B .

Remember medicare is your primary and tricare for life will be listed as your secondary. This has to be done at all Dr.s you see and any other medical stuff you have done.

Also remember if you have maintenance meds (take every day for life) then you will probably need to sign up for mail order pharmacy.

go to .express-scrips.com/tricare and registered. Be vary careful since you became medicare and tricare4life there is a limit on the # of maintenance meds that tricare for life will cover if not thru mail order. If you exceed that # then you might be billed for the whole/full price.

Contact scripps at 1-877-363-1303 and they will answer your questions and help you get any meds set up, they will work with your Dr.s and try and get then set up for mail order. BUT IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TALK WITH EACH DOCTOR/NURSE (Who every does this at the clinic) to make sure the info is accurate

Use the sites listed and the contact info. and also read there FAQ's page cause they cover a lot of info.

I repeated some of the info from your post. just trying to cover all bases.

• 6 months later...

Tricare for life is not supplemental coverage - it is full tricare standard coverage BUT is , by law, secondary to Medicare and requires, by law, that the member have both Medicare part A and Part B.

Overseas, Tricare for life is complete primary health insurance and functions as a tricare standard coverage.

Got this from https://heroanswers.org/182/what-is-the-tricare-for-life

So who approved all of these changes? As it has been happening lately NO one remembers anything that was promised to our VETS. Time to clean house and rid us of career political leaders! Term limits sounds SO GOOD.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Anybody that has served since Valley Forge is aware of the difference in promises and delivery but now with more open dissemination of news folks that are thinking of serving are becoming aware of the problems and many are rethinking the military as a career. Too bad for the military but for fire and police departments the influx of folks wishing a service career while having contractually obligated benefits is manna from heaven.

The politicians and bureaucrats have conspired to make the military and retired military almost powerless in the benefits question, no choice or option other than to vote with your feet and move somewhere you have a certain future.

If I knew what folks today can easily find out from Google I'd either have done a single enlistment to gain job skills or just gone directly to a non-military service career.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

When i retired from the Marines in 1999 after 25 years, the two hardest things for me to get over were: (1) having to pay to use a gym, and (2) a monthly payment to Tricare.

Mike

Mike

2016 Heartland Landmark Newport 365 w/MoRryde IS and 8k PSI disc brakes

RAM 3500 DRW 4.1

What about paying for dental?

Dental coverage is separate from TFL, administered through Delta Dental of CA. My dental coverage costs $58/mo.

This new Tricare for Life fact sheet (444kb download) explains the Tricare program: http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTUxMjA0LjUyMzE1NTExJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE1MTIwNC41MjMxNTUxMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MDU3MDAzJmVtYWlsaWQ9Zm93bGVyckBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9Zm93bGVyckBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://go.usa.gov/DMX3

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived