HELP with Microwave/Convention oven

I need to change out my oven and I do not know how to secure it. I have no access to the top of the current one as you can see by the picture, the panel above is false and does not come off according to Newmar. I have 2 screws on each side that hold the oven up and the new ovens do not have that access in order to hang. So does anyone know how to replace this oven????

post-8160-0-27057300-1429405131_thumb.jpg post-8160-0-27352100-1429405141_thumb.jpg post-8160-0-13406900-1429405149_thumb.jpg

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
2016 Lifestyle LS37CKSL/2016 Ford F350 DRW
Fulltiming since Aug 09
Blog http://www.pclivinthedream.blogspot.com/
Blog http://www.pclivinthedream2.blogspot.com/

The panel above the oven sure looks like a drawer front to me. It has to be held on in some manner. I would probe it from the sides with a flat blade such as a putty knife. I suspect that with a little pressure you can pry it loose. Regardless of what they've told you there has to be some provision for replacing or repairing the oven. You can always glue the panel back on later after you install the new one.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

It's been a couple of years but I remember mine had two long screws that went from a front panel all the way thru to the back where the wall hanger was. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Once you get into the compartment above the oven, there will be two bolts that go down into the oven ad unscrew.

then on the bottom of the oven, there will be two long screws (one on each side) that go up at an angle (approximately 45 degrees)

Then the oven is hung on a bracket that is fastened to the back wall. A skilled RV technician will have had experience in doing all of this if you can't figure it out. Or perhaps you could call an appliance repair person who could talk you through it.

WATCH OUT!! The oven is really bulky and HEAVY!

Good Luck and Bless you!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

There is no compartment above the oven so I am not sure what you are talking about. There is no hole there. If you look at the middle picture you will see that the oven is held in by the 2 screws on the side not from the top????

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
Fulltiming since Aug 09

Like the others said, there has to be an access from above. Ours is attached by 3 bolts from above. It then sits, or pivots, on a hinge type channel. It is very heavy. We've taken ours down before and will be replacing ours next month. You will need 2 people. All trailers were assembled which means they ALL come apart. (I love that fact). HOW they come apart is the pain in the butt part! Good luck!!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

I'm pretty sure those screws from the side aren't what's holding the oven up. All these "OTR" (over-the-range) ovens (that's what they're called because that's what they were designed for) are designed to bolt into the cabinet above them. The weight is far too much for a screw on the side to hold it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

There is no compartment above the oven so I am not sure what you are talking about.

If you take that wooden panel off there will be a compartment above the oven.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I guess I would believe Newmar that the panel above the oven doesn't come off. But, I bet it comes off if you can get the oven out.

I would build a rack out 1X2's or something similar under the oven to support it. Perhaps build it a little short and use wood shims to get the last 1/2 inch or so of support. Then remove the bolts and see if the oven is loose. It may be supported in the back with a bracket mounted to the back wall. If it loose, get help. You will have to pull the oven out, hold it until someone unplugs it and then you can remove it.

There may be a bracket mounted on the back wall that supports the back of the oven while the 4 screws up front hold the front of the oven. Many residential installs have the bracket in the back and screws that come down from an overhead cabinet to support the front of the oven.

Assuming you get this far, come back with what you find. I'm sure there are a bunch of us that will have suggestions. Not saying that any of them will be good.

Once the oven is out you can figure out how to remove the overhead panel. If you find out it could have been removed without taking the oven out then you can be pi$$ed off at Newmar for lying to you. Once you can see what is behind and above the oven you should be able to figure out how to support the new oven.

Ask Newmar how it was installed, then reverse the installation process. Multiple replies are correct, there must be screws/bolts holding the front up tight against that cabinet. I've replaced 3, and every one had bolts holding the front tight against the cabinet above, and a mounting plate on the wall behind.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for an RV appliance to be installed during the construction of the RV and may not have provided any way to remove and replace that appliance. I once had to cut holes into the floor of a cabinet in order to access the mounting screws for an under cabinet coffee maker. It would not be surprising to see some mounting that requires more than one would expect to remove it. I agree with Joel that there has to be more than those four screws holding it in as there must be some support at the rear of the microwave, near the outside wall. It might be that it has some type of bracket at the rear which it slides back onto and then the four screws you can see hold up the front and keep it back on that mounting.

If it were me, I'd make sure you have some means of supporting it and then try removing those four screws and then see if it will wiggle or move at least a little. If it does, that may then point to what else it has by way of support. There should also be a power cord in there somewhere and it is probably connected into a common household outlet.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We did remove the 4 screws and the MW starting to drop down, we did not remove it all the way because we do not have the replacement for it yet. It is still working for now but it is on and off. We don't want to remove it until we are sure of the replacement going it. The plug is in the cabinet to the right of MW. I talked to Newmar friday and they said that the 4 screws in the front are what is holding it in place. The GE people stated that the bracket on back is what holds most of the weight and the screws up front are used to keep it level. I guess we are going to have to pull it out and see what kind of mods we will have to make??

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
Fulltiming since Aug 09

We replaced the MW in our 2003 Newmar Dutch Star, two years ago. Finding an over the counter, vented MW to fit that space was a nightmare.

We finally found out they were discontinued in the dimensions we needed, then lucked out and found one new in the box being sold as used by someone that decided to go with another option in their remodel...

Two long bolts (Screws if you like) at the top of the oven, behind the vent, hold the unit in place via a wall mounted bracket. The back edge of the oven slips into/onto that bracket, somewhat akin to a "French Cleat" the oven pivots up, and the bolts secure the whole thing to that bracket.

Our MW is 22.5 inches wide. They still make counter top models that size, but if you are looking for one that size to fill your old ones place, I certainly wish you luck....

PM sent

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

We removed the top panel and that's where ours was plugged in and also where the long screws were to hold the unit. The hinge was on the back wall that also held it. That's strange how yours seems to be different and our MHs were just a year apart. Maybe because of what cabinets were surrounding it. We had a normal upper cabinet on one side and the refrigerator on the other. We got our micro/convection replacement at Home Depot about three years ago. We sold the MH in Nov and all the paperwork went with it but it was a GE micro/convection - the same as before - and the measurements were the same. It fit perfectly. It is, indeed, very heavy when you get it loose so have two strong people helping. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Well I didn't have to replace my microwave after all. After doing some research on how the convection portion works I discovered that the problem was the bolts that attach the motor were loose and that was what was causing the fan to hit and stop turning. I finally got a very small wrench in there to tighten them and (knock on wood) we have repaired the convection part. Thanks for all the help and I am so glad I do not have to replace at this time.

Thanks

Cathy

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
Fulltiming since Aug 09

Archived