Hard Starting

Ronbo

I changed fuel filter as it was dieing. Cummins N14. Before the filter plugged it would start right up. Now it cranks. I pause. I crank. I pause. Then it starts. Took off Baldwin filter and installed a Wic filter.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Removed my check valve this morning. Found a lot of crud and a piece of paper inside. I was looking at the o-ring in side and it looked loose. I was trying to seat it and the whole thing came apart in my hand. I replaced the internal o-ring and re-installed. It started up without delay and did the obligatory stumble when the air hit it. It then idled and appeared quieter than I remember. We shall see how it does later today when I move it to load the jeep.

Ron C.

Still starting hard. Purchased a new check valve. Discovered the new valve has a spring pushing the plunger to seal it. My old valve does not. We will see how it works on monday.

Ron C.

if you meant WIX filter on your motor , id be ditching that thing as fast as you can throw it in the trash.

they are garbage and i know at least one forum member thats had a WIX filter grenade his motor.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

I put over a million miles on a 98 Volvo with a N14. It took a while but I discovered it mattered what brand of fuel filter I used. It would be really hard to start after a filter change and hard to start in the mornings. Fleetguard (what you get at a Cummins or Volvo dealer) or anything built by whoever makes their filters were the culprit. I generally used and carried Baldwin.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

I put over a million miles on a 98 Volvo with a N14. It took a while but I discovered it mattered what brand of fuel filter I used. It would be really hard to start after a filter change and hard to start in the mornings. Fleetguard (what you get at a Cummins or Volvo dealer) or anything built by whoever makes their filters were the culprit. I generally used and carried Baldwin.

Fleetguard is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cummins, Inc. and is the OEM filter for all Cummins engines. Are you suggesting that the Fleetguard filter is an inferior product?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I know there was a thread and numerous pictures on this forum several years ago comparing different filters. They were cut in two and pictures taken. I also believe the author was RandyA (TheProfessor at that time). Couldn't find it by search but if I recall the Wix didn't perform so well. Also if my memory serves me correctly (always a 50/50 shot ;)) the suction collapsed the internal components of the Wix.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So as not to be "labeled", I should disclose that I am a Cummins employee. Nevertheless, I know of no better filter than Fleetguard. How's that for bias?!

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Fleetguards are pretty good in any testing you can find. I'd be interested in any further info on this backed up with any facts possible.....not just "Dodge is better than Ford". I had to put a Wix in my truck in my little adventure with bad fuel....but I'm happy to switch it out of the 382. It is pretty simple to do.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Can't say whether or not it was an independent lab...

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB2-02-1.pdf

and even though they don't reference the independent lab...

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf/about_us/news_room/corp_news/corp_story69.pdf

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Well, you convinced ME.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I know there was a thread and numerous pictures on this forum several years ago comparing different filters. They were cut in two and pictures taken. I also believe the author was RandyA (TheProfessor at that time). Couldn't find it by search but if I recall the Wix didn't perform so well. Also if my memory serves me correctly (always a 50/50 shot ;)) the suction collapsed the internal components of the Wix.

Trucksaledave (I thiink that's the right spelling) was the one with where the Wix trashed his engine.

He hasn't been on for awhile..

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Years ago I installed a new filter and started the N-14. It was normal to be a little hard to start so it acted normal.

The next day I thought maybe the filter was not tight enough so I twisted it on a little more. Now the truck will not start. loosen the filter and now back to normal hard starting but it will start.

This is with NAPA filters.

Trucksaledave (I thiink that's the right spelling) was the one with where the Wix trashed his engine.

He hasn't been on for awhile..

Thanks Ray. As I said my memory is 50/50 at best. Got the subject right but the poster wrong.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It is not just the brand of the filter, although I have used all the majors and never had a problem with any of them. There are several part #'s for a filter for the same application, usually the differences involve the size or capacity/flow in microns. The guy who sells you the filter behind the counter has no idea that there are differences. Start with taking your engine serial # to the engine manufacturer and get the correct original filter # from them and cross it to other brands if need be. Of course many of these trucks have had modifications done to them, but getting back to the original configuration is a help. A filter with the wrong micron rating may cause problems, particularly in close to gelling conditions. I always ask the Freightliner dealer to look up the vin just like any other part and let them sell me part# originally installed. I have kept track of the correct #'s over the years, but they get superseded all the time, so sometimes that leads to a dead end.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I had the truck serviced at Speedco. I asked for an extra Fleetpride fuel filter. They only charged me $7.99. It has been sitting a few days and I will start it tomorrow and see how it does

Ron C.

Archived