Renew TX Vehicle Registration online now. Avoid Inspection Requirement

Al F

Editing this topic to give information provided by Trey & Susan, in post #8.

According to the info in http://twostepsonesticker.com/ in the FAQ section if your renewal is in March and the inspection is later you can skip the inspection until March 2016.

No, you will not have to pay for more than one inspection in a year. During the sync up year from March 1, 2015-February 29, 2016, some vehicle owners will go beyond their 12-month inspection cycle to align the expiration dates for inspection and registration.
For example:
  • Registration sticker expires 3/15
  • Inspection sticker expires 9/15
The owner will be able to renew registration in March 2015 and not have to get the vehicle inspected again until 2016 because the inspection sticker is valid at the time of renewal (inspection sticker expires 9/15).
The following year, before the end of March 2016, both inspection and registration will be due.

It MAY CAN be possible to avoid the Texas 2 step vehicle registration if your renewal is in March or April, by going online and renewing your vehicle registration NOW, before March 1st.

My MH vehicle registration must be renewed in March (by 3/31) and the inspection is required in April. If I wait until after March 1st to renew I would have to have the inspection done before the registration renewal is fully completed.

Online you can renew up to 90 days before your registration is due by going to: https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/RegistrationRenewalServlet

A few days ago I went online and renewed my registration. This morning I received an email my registration was accepted.

I'm assuming this means I can wait until April to get my inspection. Or if, like many of you who are out of state, this may mean you can avoid filing a out of state exemption or delaying your inspection until it is due.

As I just wrote, this is an assumption on my part. It will be a week or so before I receive my new registration window sticker. When I do, I will update with my results.

For next year, 2016, you will have to follow the the new Texas 2 step process. That is; inspection within 90 days before registration or filing the out of state exemption.

Edit to change "MAY" to "CAN".

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Interesting post. I just had our SUV inspected two days ago as the sticker expired at the end of Jan. Our vehicle registration is due in March so I'll be getting mine while holding a valid inspection sticker. It crossed my mind to wonder if I could have done the "one sticker" process early but the inspection station said that they are told to issue the current inspection stickers through the end of this month.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I wonder if you are actively traveling will they mail it to our skp forwarding address or only out of state since that is the reason we are not getting an out of state exemption. If so will we need to plan on staying somewhere long enough to get our mail. Also will they mail to General Delivery I wonder. It may take a little time to shake it all out.

In my case my registrations are Oct and Nov but if I back into the state it seems I will have 3 days to get and inspection on both and then again within 90 days of Oct/Nov. Theoretically I could see this happening every year. That could be another unintended consequence of this change. We'll see.

I always use the online renewal and a couple/few years ago I tried to have our new registration sticker sent to our daughter's address in Texas, instead of our home address in Texas and it was rejected. I called the county and they said something like, "Since you are changing your address within the state of TX you need to register your vehicle in the county of your address. We will send the renewal sticker to an out of state address as we are used to dealing with military folks."

I don't know about the General Delivery address. The online form allows any address to be entered, so the GD address might work. You can try, the worst that can happen would be the county rejects the renewal and you are out the $2 online fee. You probably won't be able to send it to Livingston if your vehicle is registered in another county in Texas.

The confirmation/rejection notice come via email within 2-3 business days. I have always received the sticker or plates in the mail in about 10-14 days after submitting the online renewal.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Today (2/12/15) I received my registration sticker in the mail. No mention of the need for the "Two Step" process which requires an inspection 90 days prior to registration. This process starts in March.

So even though your registration will expire in March, by renewing online now, you can avoid the inspection until the month it is due. Or if your vehicle is out of state you can avoid filling out the form or affidavit stating the vehicle is out of state. You must do this before the end of this month.

This might even work for April and possibly May or part of May. You can apply, online, for renewal up to 90 days before the registration expires.

It is possible if you wait till February 26-28th this may not work because the county may not be able to process the renew before March 1st.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

There will be a one year grace period for these situations.

See article under heading Timing may Change

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

So we have 3 days to get an inspection upon returning to the state. As of this month LEO can look at out windshield and see we are out of inspection. As of next month there will be no visual indication of being out of inspection. Hmmm.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Hmmm is right. There are going to be problems. Even in the future. I think there will be some manner to tell if you have a valid inspection and when. I think it will be tied to the computerized license plate readers that check for stolen cars/plates. Reading the link from Treyandsusan, and I am still not clear about one issue. Not so much the first year but subsequent years for sure.

You are out of state for months when your inspection and you renew your registration based on the "self inpection or waiver" , When you come back to the state you get inspected within 3 days but your next registration is 9months away. Will you now have to get another inspection within the 90 day window. This could go on for multiple years if you travel in a certain pattern. What is also worrisome is this record could be used to say you are not a resident of Texas if the situation ever comes up.

Hmmm is right. There are going to be problems. Even in the future. I think there will be some manner to tell if you have a valid inspection and when. I think it will be tied to the computerized license plate readers that check for stolen cars/plates. Reading the link from Treyandsusan, and I am still not clear about one issue. Not so much the first year but subsequent years for sure.

You are out of state for months when your inspection and you renew your registration based on the "self inpection or waiver" , When you come back to the state you get inspected within 3 days but your next registration is 9months away. Will you now have to get another inspection within the 90 day window. This could go on for multiple years if you travel in a certain pattern. What is also worrisome is this record could be used to say you are not a resident of Texas if the situation ever comes up.

I think you have some miss information. Accurate info is the Texas State website http://twostepsonesticker.com/

1st, it looks like if your inspection month is after your renewal month from March 2015 to Feb 2016, you won't have to inspect your vehicle until the 90 day period before your renewal in 2016.

No, you will not have to pay for more than one inspection in a year. During the sync up year from March 1, 2015-February 29, 2016, some vehicle owners will go beyond their 12-month inspection cycle to align the expiration dates for inspection and registration.
For example:
  • Registration sticker expires 3/15
  • Inspection sticker expires 9/15
The owner will be able to renew registration in March 2015 and not have to get the vehicle inspected again until 2016 because the inspection sticker is valid at the time of renewal (inspection sticker expires 9/15).
The following year, before the end of March 2016, both inspection and registration will be due.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

It is possible to change your registration expiration dates.

It is not done often so many of the clerks are not fully aware that it is possible. But their supervisor should know.

It can only be done before your current expiration up to 90 days prior.

You will have to pay the prorated part of the registration for the extra months to get it to the month you desire.

It can be done over the phone or in your county clerk's office.

Over the past year, I had all three of our vehicles changed to December (by phone and in two different Travis county Registration offices).

We plan to be in Texas every year in December so we can get here, get inspected on the way in and then get the registration renewed.

Just another option for those who might return at the same time each year.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm in the "mix" on this.

Typically I get my renewal in the mail and just send it in and get the sticker. I've never done it online. I'll be darned if my computer skills are good enough to find the online registration renewal site. Everything I find say "the county office handles it and may allow online renewal". Where is the online renewal done for Polk??

Also they keep referencing the waiver form, and I cannot find that either. ALthough the info site says there is a place online to indicate a waiver when doing the registration online - now if I could just FIND that online registration site.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Or go to Texas.Gov and select Vehicle Registration Renewals from the list of services. It's the top one on the list.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Barb, you nailed it. Thanks. Not sure why I could not find that myself....must be age related.

It was easy to do online and the waiver was integrated into the process. Paid with a credit card. Easy!!! I love Texas.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On February 27, I took a young lady that I work with to the inspection station here in New Caney, Texas. She had her new registration sticker

in hand that she had gotten online and it was mailed to her. Her inspection was to run out at the end of March. The inspector took off the old registration

sticker and put on the new one and told her to wait until March 1st and then take off the inspection sticker so that all she had was a registration sticker.

He stated that for this year only she could get by without the inspection. Next year 90 days or less from when her registration runs out she will have to have it inspected.

Typically for me in recent years my p/u and my rv are not in Texas at all. This could be true for the next couple of years. Therefore I have not had a Tx safety inpection in years. One exception on the p/u only about 2 years ago. I am still a Tx resident so I have to register in TX. My trailer month is Oct. and truck is Nov. and will certainly be using the out of state inspection form. I will be interested to see how this all shakes out first in Oct/Nov then on following years.

Archived