Calendar to Sync Between Android and Windows Platforms

Capt Joe

I am looking for software/app which will sync between Android phones/tablets and Windows computers. We are getting too many doctor appointments, obligations, etc to keep them on a paper calendar and being able to access them whenever and wherever. Some sort of calendar or organizational program that will keep all of our devices synced and up to date would be a great thing. Something that would give calendar, messaging, memos, etc and the like is what I am looking for.

Have thought about using the 'cloud' but haven't been getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about that. Maybe some of you folks are actually doing this by using the cloud and can help me get into using it to do this.

Any and all thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J3

Capt Joe

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on WH20 Chassis w/8.1L and Allison

Not a calendar per se but doe the reminders too. Go here and read the reviews, but change the filter from helpfulness to newest. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.onenote The reviews are awesome in the 2015/late 2014 versions. It is free for both Android and Windows.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Google Calendar syncs events quite well. Either Onenote from Microsoft or Evernote will share notes. If you want to share lists, Geeks on Tour just reviewed https://www.outofmilk.com/ , on their weekly video podcast. They are all cloud based, since that is the way of the future. Using cables is the old way.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for our email with an add-on called Lightning for the calendar. It syncs very well with Google Calendar and automatically syncs to our two laptops and my android smart phone. Both my wife and I use Thunderbird to automatically download our emails from Gmail to our laptops. Reminders are easy and show up on both laptops and smartphone.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Another Google calendar user here. My wife and I each maintain our own calendars, but have them crosslinked so we each see both sets on our laptops via our browsers, in Thunderbird with Lightning, and on our tablets and smartphones. Using different colors for each calendar type makes it easy to keep track of what belongs to whom.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We use gSyncIt to synchronize calendars and contacts between multiple PCs, and two smartphones. The common media points are Google Calendars and Google Contacts.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks for the replies so far. Several options to take a look at to see if I can find something that will work in my configuration.

BTW, I am on Android 4.2.1 on my Asus tablet, 4.4.4 on my Samsung Galaxy S5 and windows 7 on my laptop. My wife has had her 'dumb' phone for several years (a LG Octane) and so far hasn't wanted to make the jump to a smart phone. I'm thinking that by sync'ing the calendars, etc, I might be able get her updated with her phone as I don't thing anything would work with her current phone as she only has voice and text.

Still open for comments. Lots of good support and info available here.

Tx,

J3

Capt Joe

I am on Google calendar. Not the most sophisticated calendar I have seen, but my needs are not great. It works everywhere and is pretty easy to use. I see no reason to use anything else.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm starting to use the Google calender, not really loaded with features and a lot of stuff is frustrating to figure out the first time. Nice to have stuff available on all my devices though.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I was making suggestions to answer for syncing Android and Windows. I used to try all that too. With the same unsatisfying results. Since I've dropped my Google everything. Not really because I dislike Google's products and software for their tablets/phones. My Windows environment is stable across the board. Windows phone 8.1 accesses OneDrive as do the others. Same for photos, Word Docs, PDF files, excel etc. Works perfectly. Why sync across different OS' lacking MS Office, when it can all be done with Windows devices now.

Jack, I know you haven't found a Windows phone big enough. Just me.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Count me in for the Google Calendar crowd. I use Linux on laptops, desktops, servers along with Window 7 on desktops and Server 2008/2012 servers as well as Android tablet and smart phone. Google Calendar works on all of them so that's the easy choice. Plus, if I'm somewhere else I can still just access Google Calendar.

I do have reservations about Google's attitude towards my data but unless I create my own cloud (a PITA) I'm stuck. I do have a half-vast cloud setup in my offices but the hardware really wouldn't tolerate anything serious and I'm not interested in spending the bucks.

BTW, I set up an Amazon Cloud last year for a client and, as far as I can tell, he would have been better off setting up a personal cloud with a decent router in his office. It wasn't difficult but it could be expensive even if you had to pay someone like me to manage it.

So... Google.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Honestly, in all the years I have done projects and common calendar-ing I have not found anything that is better than Google/Android based solutions. They work as browser based apps or as individual apps for various hardware platforms whether Android, WIndows, Linux, Mac, I-products, etc.

For me, I like to be able to have all my tools work together. Though I used to be a Microsoft MVP and ran my own Enterprise servers with full Exchange and all the bells and whistles, I am just as happy with the hands off Google/Android solution. It does not require me to be on a particular platform with all my hardware to make it work the same.

Mostly, on my Android devices, I use the Android aCalendar app instead of the regular Google Calendar app. Mostly because I like the views a little better.

Simply put, My calendars work seamlessly for me, my wife, my kids, friends, etc. without my having to be involved with each of them.

Like Dutch, my wife and I have our own separate calendars that we share with each other so I put my stuff on mine, she on hers but we both see each others without a lot of manual sharing, inviting,etc. I also keep birthdays/anniversaries on a separate calendar we can all access so whatever updates/additions anyone makes is instantly available to all.

I create a separate calendar for RV travel to both plan where/when venues and to provide a consistent track of where we were and when. That has been helpful more than a few times, looking back. This is particularly nice to have to just share with our families and friends without letting them see the rest of our daily lives. It also helps keep our own individual calendars much simpler and cleaner to work with.

When we are settled into a hosting/volunteering position, it is nice to have its own calendar where all of the stuff associated with that location is kept together and can be easily shared with upper management and/or others that should be kept on the same page. Having it all on a separate calendar also lets me make it visible to anyone without exposing any of my personal calendar information, doctor's visits or birthdays, travel plans, etc.

Each separate calendar can be made visible/invisible on any specific device with a simple toggle on/off by calendar in your list of available calendars. This is really nice when things get hectic or you just want to work on a single thing, like trip planning times/places. There's even a "Display only this calendar" toggle for each calendar to make it simple and quick.

I know this is a lot more than you meant to ask for but it is the kind of solutions that are available when you are ready for them. STarting with a good platform allows for growth without having to start all over when you find you need more than you started with.

The only other item I might offer is that moving forward means moving forward. Trying to do so with one foot still nailed to old technology will only cost a lot more in time, money and inconvenience. As James Brown would say, "Git on Up offa' That Thang!"

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Just found one fix for a Google calender frustration, all day items are nicely colored and you get about a dozen choices. Specific time items come with a white background but you can pick a tiny square of color, not very visible.

The fix is to load the background tool from the Google Labs tab and then make yourself a block of color JPEG file. I made a 200x200 pixel square of about 15% gray and use it tiled as the background. Now the short items show up as a nicely contrasting white against the background.

Nice approach as long as one is not color blind. Then, it's a different game, anyway. I sometimes forget that white is a color, too.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Depending on the colors you can't see you can fiddle all the highlight colors and the background to hopefully get something you can work with, you are stuck with the bright white for the borders and short term items.

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions, thoughts and comments. I've been looking through some of the apps suggested but haven't made a decision yet as to what to use in my situation.

One app I have seen lately and have downloaded but haven't had a chance to take a look at is called 'COZI'... (www.cozi.com). It looks to have most everything needed but I don't know yet how it operates or how your info is displayed etc. Have any of you folks seen or used COZI? First hand experience is sure great to hear.

Thanks Again,

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

My BIL's family has been using it for awhile and it seems to work for them. Or at least, it did until they wanted to start including a few friends and others that were not using COZI. There is a way to sync it with Google Calendar and a few other independent calendaring apps but he says it may take several hours to get changes synced across these various platforms.

Just his word about this. I think I tried it briefly a couple of years ago and just did not like the lack of integration with all the other things I use that play together on the Google platform. For me, it is more than just being able to see an item. I also want it to automatically alert me on whatever device I am currently using and be connected into my contacts, histories and other tools I use and I don't want to have to remember how to transition between differing technologies to keep it all together. But that's just me 'cause I never assume that what I think I will need will be all that I will want as I get better using something new. I just want it all to work and not fall apart when I try to do something new.

One app I have seen lately and have downloaded but haven't had a chance to take a look at is called 'COZI'... (www.cozi.com). It looks to have most everything needed but I don't know yet how it operates or how your info is displayed etc. Have any of you folks seen or used COZI? First hand experience is sure great to hear.

we've been using Cozi for several years. It's designed to be used by several people each of who has his/her own schedule. It's free and easy to use.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks for the first hand experience with the Cozi product. I had a chance (between doctor appointments and such) to get it set up on my phone (Samsung S5), tablet (Asus TM 700) and laptop (Lenovo Win 7) and the basic free version seems to like my setup just fine. Syncs very well and even synced the family photo I put in on the laptop. Have only tried some calendar appointments (still have a bunch to put on) and a few notes to share. Seems to only take a minute or maybe less to update all the devices no matter which device the item is entered on.

About the only negative I see, for my use, is that they want $29.99 PER YEAR for the ad free version that also has a few added benefits such as allowing contacts and a birthday management system. I'd be fine with a one time fee but don't really like the PER YEAR charge. Just getting a bit more frugal... actually cheap..... in my old age I guess. Have to use it more in actual conditions to decide if I REALLY need the Gold Version.... or I might find another system that is charging a one time fee or maybe even FREE which is good.

Oh yeah, there is also a grocery list that is in the basic version but the Gold enhances that. It would be nice to be able to make a grocery list from any of your devices whenever and wherever you may be.... and to have hanging on your belt at most all times.

Thanks for everyone's help with this. I would also be interested in any other ways others are keeping up with their appointments and such,

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

Archived