Cost for tow setup for a toad?

Phil Saran

I got my quote from the install shop for a Blue Ox tow bar, frame mounts, brake setup (similar to brake buddy)

wiring, cables etc. plus install to flat tow my 2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 truck behind a MH.....$2900.

Is that in the ball park of what others have paid?

Just want some feedback before I move forward.

Thanks in advance.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Brake units (all types) about $1K.

Baseplate installed and tow bar about $2K. Lots of hours in the install.

So, yes in the ballpark.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Guest ticat900

I got my quote from the install shop for a Blue Ox tow bar, frame mounts, brake setup (similar to brake buddy)

wiring, cables etc. plus install to flat tow my 2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 truck behind a MH.....$2900.

Thanks in advance.

you can buy everything you need from amazon for 1900.00 takes about six hours to install and wire etc so 2900$ is not outrageous

If your motor home has an air suspension you might want to look at an Air Force One braking system -- just an air line hookup between mh and toad. I tried a brake buddy and tired of getting down on knees to install it at every towing.

I agree, the AF1 and the M&G engineering braking system are the best units for air systems. The M&G may also be used on MH's with hyd. brakes. Both systems are out-of-sight and work flawlessly.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks in advance.

Two years ago we paid about $3000 for the complete Blue OX installation for our CRV. It seemed like a lot but we did the complete job & got it done right. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Yes just what did you get for $575.00?? Was it only a tow bar and some welding?

The price included: tow bar, lights, plug adapter, safety cables, receiver with ball, and a custom cross bar tow plate. The tow bar was not first choice, it was the only one available and did not have time to order a Roadmaster tow bar. It is not prefect but it works and for a hell of lot less money. I was quoted $2200 for tow installation plus a drive shaft disconnect because it was a five speed overdrive? Talk about a RV shop wanting to give me the shaft!

You can pay more; it is your money!

Blue Ox is a good product but you are paying for the name. If you go to a RV place for installation you are paying RV Prices. I try to avoid RV shops for finding parts and replacements, just the mention of RV and the price is double if not triple.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

The price included: tow bar, lights, plug adapter, safety cables, receiver with ball, and a custom cross bar tow plate.

No brake unit. You don't tow without a brake unit do you?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Guest ticat900

The price included: tow bar, lights, plug adapter, safety cables, receiver with ball, and a custom cross bar tow plate. The tow bar was not first choice, it was the only one available and did not have time to order a Roadmaster tow bar. It is not prefect but it works and for a hell of lot less money. I was quoted $2200 for tow installation plus a drive shaft disconnect because it was a five speed overdrive? Talk about a RV shop wanting to give me the shaft!

You can pay more; it is your money!

Blue Ox is a good product but you are paying for the name. If you go to a RV place for installation you are paying RV Prices. I try to avoid RV shops for finding parts and replacements, just the mention of RV and the price is double if not triple.

Not true.I looked on amazon which is way less than dealers and it was still 1900.00 of which 900.00 was a brake deal. what you got was old homemade tow bar and a big ugly front home made mount plate all hooked to a trailer ball.Most likely works just fine. Are we really comparing oranges to oranges?? No, Not even close

For $975 you could have had a brand new blue ox tow system.

We came in at a a good bit less than most by using multiple sources. Saved a bit more by using the vehicle dealer to mount the base plate as part of the purchase of the new vehicle. I also saved a good $200 by going with a little heavier tow bar (aventa lx ii) vs the lighter one and I was lucky and found a RViBrake 2 out of Canada for close to 1/4 of the full price on Ebay. Lastly, went with the magnetic temp tow lighting scheme (takes a little longer on hook up/unhook). Total was approx $1100. Some of the things that really saved money for us was free shipping on the tow bar and base plate - both would have been a pretty big hit.

So, for your Dodge you are in the ballpark and since you are going with a single source, I recommend you score some sort of warranty out of them.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Guest ticat900

We came in at a a good bit less than most by using multiple sources. Saved a bit more by using the vehicle dealer to mount the base plate as part of the purchase of the new vehicle. I also saved a good $200 by going with a little heavier tow bar (aventa lx ii) vs the lighter one and I was lucky and found a RViBrake 2 out of Canada for close to 1/4 of the full price on Ebay. Lastly, went with the magnetic temp tow lighting scheme (takes a little longer on hook up/unhook). Total was approx $1100. Some of the things that really saved money for us was free shipping on the tow bar and base plate - both would have been a pretty big hit.

So, for your Dodge you are in the ballpark and since you are going with a single source, I recommend you score some sort of warranty out of them.

I assume at 275$ for the Rv brake it was Used not new? there around 1170$ new? the aventa LX2.5 (hd) is 760$ plus tax by itself bracket kits runs in the 370$ range and magnetic lites 50$

so not including ship or sales tax your at $2350 !! and you got it all for a total of $1100 !! I wish I was that lucky when I go to buy stuff

I told my wife some of the discussion here and her reaction was "I would not be married to those guys". She does hook and unhook and actually cares how it all looks. An aluminum towbar was needed to keep the weight down, a built-in braking system was needed since she has a bad back and can't maneuver a Brake Buddy type unit, and it had to look decent or it was not acceptable. $2900 for a professional install, of all new parts, by someone who has done many sounds good to me.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Guest ticat900

I do all the hooking and unhooking.I don't need the wife getting in the way as they normally makes things more complicated when they get involved

When something is not right iam responsible and look after things. as far as those guys? one person posting on here took the cheap route and so what?

If its safe and does the job then so be it. none of my business.

Not true.I looked on amazon which is way less than dealers and it was still 1900.00 of which 900.00 was a brake deal. what you got was old homemade tow bar and a big ugly front home made mount plate all hooked to a trailer ball.Most likely works just fine. Are we really comparing oranges to oranges?? No, Not even close

For $975 you could have had a brand new blue ox tow system.

Not at all, it is mounted to the frame behind the bumper, and barely visible. The tow bar is a commercial built unit and is not homemade. Just because I did not pay $3,000.00 does not mean it is "big fat, ugly, or homemade. Most people will not even realize it is custom built. I am not comparing oranges, I just had a custom built for far less.

As I stated earlier: You can pay more; it is your money!

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

Guest ticat900

Not at all, it is mounted to the frame behind the bumper, and barely visible. The tow bar is a commercial built unit and is not homemade. Just because I did not pay $3,000.00 does not mean it is "big fat, ugly, or homemade. Most people will not even realize it is custom built. I am not comparing oranges, I just had a custom built for far less.

As I stated earlier: You can pay more; it is your money!

you know as we say if your happy that's all that matters.

I do all the hooking and unhooking.I don't need the wife getting in the way as they normally makes things more complicated when they get involved

My wife and I are both capable of doing the entire breaking camp, hooking up process unaided, which is very useful if one of us is incapacitated or unavailable for any reason. In normal times we share the duties and use a cross check process to make sure nothing is overlooked. It's a partnership concept that's worked well for us for over 50 years.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived