information flow?

bigjim

I need to understand if this is correct or what is correct. I need it simple at first please.

1. me and mylaptop>wifi>firefox or what ever> server> IP then where ever?

2.me>wifi>server>IP>firefox>

3. Your route since I am a computer idiot.

Keeping it simple could rule out my friend RV :lol: (still poking the bear)

You, your computer' operating system, Firefox, back to the computer's operating system, over WiFi to the local internet connection, over their link (wireless or wired) and equipment to the internet. From the internet to the company hosting the server you are looking for, over their equipment and links to the server.

Your computer and operating system are involved at two points, converting your keyboard typing and mouse movements to something Firefox understands and sending it that information. And again translating from Firefox's inputs and outputs to what is needed your link to the internet. If you have a firewall or anti-virus they will likely be involved in the Firefox to internet conversation too.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Are you kidding? I already KNOW >>>>>(THEY)<<<<< can track me. :angry::blink::o:ph34r::D I am just trying to understand even one tiny little additional piece to the puzzle and to see if a friend who is trying to explain something to me knows what he is talking about. Based on Stan's answer I think he is as much in the dark as I am but I'm not pointing a finger and laughing. I just don't want to get misinformation.

Thanks for the umpteenth time Stan.

If my answer didn't make sense then I guess I completely misunderstood your question. What I gave you is the information flow from your fingertips to the server that hosts the site you are looking for.

I'll take another shot at an answer if you'll take another shot at asking.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Bigjim

This is as simple as it gets. You turn on your computer it talks with something somewhere you touch the keyboard it sends something someplace and comes back with something else. What's not to understand.

Happy New Year Big Guy

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Stan, I thought your description to be very accurate and very simple to understand for a lot of people.

There are some ad-ons to firefox that will show how your data goes over the net. That includes the ads that get placed on your computer. They show all the sites that are sending back data, usually google contracted ads.

Just to be a smart alec, you didn't show what a keylogger and a trojan or a router virus does with data. haha

My normal understanding follows what DJW says. Once in a while I want to know just a little more and hope I can comprehend the explanation mostly. Stan, your explanation came through pretty well I think. I do try to keep in mind the time years ago you were helping me with setting up filter and after all the dust cleared I had done everything right except clicking on the stupid "radio" knob or button. I eventually gave you access to my email at the time and you fixed it. It took me a while to figure out what that damned knob was. I didn't know for a long time what the heck this avatar thing was that everyone was talking about.

No offense taken Barb, I got it but maybe I wasn't funny enough in my reply. B)

PS It was years before I understood how your were able to access my email even with my permission since you were so far away,Stan. Also one of my issues is I don't seem to have a ready memory for computer related stuff which really frustrates me and sometimes makes me feel like I am dumb even though I know I am not.

Don't feel dumb, Jim. I've worked on computers (professionally) most of my life, including all the system software components from the OS to databases, to compilers, to networking. There are lots of things I still don't know about computers. And don't care to know. Mostly, these days, I just want the darn things to work. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Bingo azbillsfan.

I suspect that an apptitude for math and music might make it easier to remember the stuff you need to remember when using computers and that is not me. I can do most basic math but often takes a little longer. I actually have a pretty good memory in other areas but it is fading fast. :(:P:lol:

Like a lot of things, if we don't use it we tend to loose it. I don't think I could do a partial differential anymore without having a calculus book beside me. BTW - music & math do go together.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I don't think I could do a partial differential anymore without having a calculus book beside me.

That is what computers are for. Advanced math is not something I'm going to want to remember, or need to remember. I have computers for that. :) When they work.

BTW, in cleaning out my Dad's house last month I found his old slide rulers (he was an engineer). Now THAT was interesting - I tried to do some basic math on them and could not remember how they worked.....will have to get back to that sometime. :)

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We still carry our slide rules with us! Don't really use them, but could in an emergency. The trick is to do some really simple calculations to remind yourself what each scale is for.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We still carry our slide rules with us! Don't really use them, but could in an emergency. The trick is to do some really simple calculations to remind yourself what each scale is for.

Barb

Yeah, Barb, it is those "really simple" calculations I had trouble with ;)

www.jackdanmayer.com

I also let the computer do the hard calculations. BUT, I learned long ago that you better have a pretty good idea of what the answer should be, and if it isn't close the computer is WRONG! Accepting a computer answer without analysis is an open path to disaster. Thankfully however, instead of the computer, at least for me, a "fat" finger is the normal cause of a wrong answer. Most notable examples are the rare million $ that shows up in a checking account, the $10,000 phone bill. Years ago we had an order for 2 jet engines show up as 2,000. It was only caught because the entire post budget was not large enough to pay for them!

Archived