Jumper/battery tender hook up

Broncohauler

GFdO7JRl.jpg

Wired in a couple battery jumper posts so now I don’t need to remove the battery box cover to hookup a battery tender or for jump starting. 
So far real happy just need a higher out put tender. 
One thing I did notice though is that for some reason both the main ground cable and positive to the starter are coming from the same battery??

I would think  the negative wire be at the last battery of three in the battery bank?

I think you opened up a can of worms! I have the same battery tender you have. I move it from one battery to the next when charging. Some say charge all the batteries at once some say one battery at a time. This will be fun to watch the engineers on this on.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

The Battery cables should be on different batteries. The + on the front battery and the - on the back or vise versa. What you are looking to do is have all the batteries be the same electrical path length so they share the load equally. Having both connections on one battery puts that one under more load since its the shortest electrical path. This is more important under high loads like turning over a cold 14 liter diesel. Where I come from in the Telco world this type of thing is even written into our codes.

And as far as charging with a small charger it does not really matter. Even if hooked to one battery they are all connected together. I usually do the same with my charger as the main leads thou. offset them end to end. but again a lot of that is just habit.

Edited by Imurphy907

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

I was learned to treat batteries connected in sets as one battery re: charging / maintaining etc.

I also saw an article I can’t find with a diagram of how to connect multiple batteries and the science behind the recommendations. 

It kind of showed poles connected together and load connected each at opposite ends of the batteries...kinda factory Kenworth style...

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The engineers know how to build it, properly. The accountants know how to make money off of it. The marketers know how to sell it at a set profit margin. Guess who won the 3 way tug-of-war when it came time to spec the battery cables. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Dumb question: Why don't you just mount your charger and hardwire it to the battery posts, just like the starter should be, positive on one battery and negative at the other end? That is a much better connection than those clamps to a battery post.

As far as a charger/maintainer I use a Noco Genius G26000

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 2/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, Big5er said:

Dumb question: Why don't you just mount your charger and hardwire it to the battery posts, just like the starter should be, positive on one battery and negative at the other end? That is a much better connection than those clamps to a battery post.

As far as a charger/maintainer I use a Noco Genius G26000

Not a dumb question at all Phil. 
This charger is actually temporary until I get one specifically for the truck. 
When I decide what charger I want, I’ll  hard wire and mount it in the battery box. 
the posts are more for emergency jump starting without taking off the battery box cover. 

I have an Anderson plug in the left saddle box on my truck.     With jumper cables and a charging harness.    In my truck it is imperative I have a remote battery connection, my batteries are behind my fifth wheel under the deck.

The chargers I have would drain the batteries IF left connected and unplugged.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.