Best RV Internet Package for full timers ?????

Just now, Zulu said:

So you moved the SIM back or what?

There was no "back."  I only wanted it for the iPad.  It had never been in a phone, and I had no use for another phone.  So they re-activated the account, it worked for a while, then it was locked again.  So I switched carriers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minor violations by individuals would never be punished with anything more than a cancellation and ETF charge.  Violations by large groups/companies are a different story.  Most I've heard of an individual being spanked with is a few hundred in ETFs.

However, it still is illegal.

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Minor violations by individuals would never be punished with anything more than a cancellation and ETF charge. 

Cancellation is what I worry about, not criminal prosecution.

I would hate to lose a data plan and then discover it is no longer available.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Utility companies don't hesitate to file theft of services for many things. In this case I wouldn't expect them to do more than shut down your connection. I have my Prepaid Jetpack from Verizon. It has been unlimited for the past 6 months or so. It is $65 month. I did not have to do convoluted tricks to get it up and running. I don't have to worry about my account shutting down in the middle of streaming Breaking Bad. There is an area of SC and Ga where it doesn't have service.

Edited by Sehc
spelling

Most people accept that the term "illegal" means a violation of law.  Generally, breaking conditions of a contract is not considered illegal.  HOWEVER, in the matter of which we are speaking, it could very well be considered illegal to take a service intended to be used in a certain manner and misappropriate it in another manner. 

Here is a similar example, which is filed from time to time.  You have a contract to rent an apartment.  One of the benefits of living in this apartment is a dumpster on site intended for the disposal of your household trash.  Sometimes, you dump your construction debris at the end of a day on your carpenter job in that dumpster.  You are using a service for which you are not paying.

If you're paying for service specifically designed for a phone and using it in a tablet, I would consider that theft of service by deception.  Similarly, knowingly using a service designed and intended for an iPad in a hotspot might be considered theft.  I doubt that any cellular provider would file such a charge, but it wouldn't surprise me.  It's pretty common for electric utilities to pursue such charges in response to people hot wiring their electric meter so that it gives a reduced usage.    However, I've never even heard of a cellular provider filing such charges.

Here is an excerpt from the theft of service statute in Texas, I'm sure other States have similar laws:

Sec. 31.04. THEFT OF SERVICE. (a) A person commits theft of service if, with intent to avoid payment for service that the actor knows is provided only for compensation:

(1) the actor intentionally or knowingly secures performance of the service by deception, threat, or false token;

Here's a link to the entire statute, in case anyone wants to read it.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.31.htm

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

If we want to knit pick on this then you must on every other aspect of life.

All of this conversation here reminds me of the time when you had to pay for every single tv  or telephone you had hooked up  in your house. Some people paid the hefty price...some people bought some  telephone line,coax cable,splitters and wired up a few extra tvs or phones. All of this was illegal.

Do you go 58mph when the speed limit is 55? ..well you are breaking the law and can be punished.

Drink a beer in a coozie on the beach where the  access sign  says "no alcoholic beverages allowed"..well you have committed a crime !

if you really want to get technical ..in most states sexual oral copulation (BJ) or sodomy (backdoor action) is still illegal...so gentleman pull up your pants or pay the price !

point is...lets not throw stones while living in glass Rv's   :)

Edited by SurfsideNomad

Who's post made you so defensive?

I don't think anyone was throwing stones.  Someone brought up the legality point, so we were having a discussion about it.  I've been using a workaround of one sort or another for over 11 years for internet, all of them against the terms of service.  I connected my flip phone for years via PDANet to get 3G data. 

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Ok, so getting back on topic. Is the new TOGO using AT&T unlimited $360 a yr plan a good way to go?  Can I stream using this device? What do I need to hook up to my tv? A fire stick, a Roko? What streaming services are available and at what cost? Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+. I assume I would get my local channels OTA?  Does the TOGO set up a network for my iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Canon printer without needing any additional equipment like a router?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

This is what I am getting on 

11 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Ok, so getting back on topic. Is the new TOGO using AT&T unlimited $360 a yr plan a good way to go?  Can I stream using this device? What do I need to hook up to my tv? A fire stick, a Roko? What streaming services are available and at what cost? Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+. I assume I would get my local channels OTA?  Does the TOGO set up a network for my iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Canon printer without needing any additional equipment like a router?

This is what I am getting on my ToGo right now. 
ToGo.jpg.6ef9f2e9ca3e1c3a2321acc86c397dca.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 11/23/2019 at 8:33 AM, chirakawa said:

Who's post made you so defensive?

I don't think anyone was throwing stones.  Someone brought up the legality point, so we were having a discussion about it.  I've been using a workaround of one sort or another for over 11 years for internet, all of them against the terms of service.  I connected my flip phone for years via PDANet to get 3G data. 

Nobody's ...To be defensive..one must first be offended. I have not been offended by anything anyone has posted here lol. To each their own.I just thought it was kind of ironic where some people draw lines on legalities to what suits their own needs at the time. As I stated earlier....I am good with what I am doing and  hope some found this thread as helpful as I did !!!

On 11/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, Jim1521 said:

I have Togo.  Have had it for 1 month.  I have put over 210 GB old data through it in this time period.  No throttling or rate limiting.  About 12 Mbps down/ 6 Mbps up.  Works fine.

UPDATE:  I think I finally found AT&T's limit.  I hit 300 GB this morning, and it has now kicked me down to 3G.  I'll see how long they keep me here.  I'm at 33 days of usage.

I've never heard of a carrier forcing anyone off LTE for over usage.  They would rather have you on LTE instead of 3G.  You are most likely in an area with sketchy reception for LTE.  What carriers do when they think you've used too much is either de-prioritize your data (Togo is always de-prioritized), or actively apply a rate limit.

I'm sitting in the exact same place I've been for the past 3 weeks.  Haven't moved an inch.  The display shows 4G LTE with a big red X through it.  When I click on it, it shows the following:  "4G Signal Strength: 26% (3G)"

Edited by Jim1521

Reboot the device.  Where I live, I get knocked off LTE at random.  My phone sits in a dock on my desk all day while I work.  It changes bands due to coverage being poor here.  The ability to force a device off LTE onto 3G exists, but I'm not aware of it being deployed.  And in a conversation with my friend who manages AT&T's probes division, he said they actively try to force all handsets to LTE.

Certainly a signal issue.  Something most people don't realize is that antenna polarization matters.  Imagine the antennas inside the device being shaped like a stick, just like an external antenna.  Facing a device vertically or horizontally can make a huge difference.  In my office, the Mifi will get good speeds when standing up on the bottom edge, but awful signal when laying flat.  Try moving yours around, let it settle for a minute, then test.

Edited by Carlos

On 11/25/2019 at 6:02 PM, Carlos said:

Try moving yours around, let it settle for a minute, then test.

He said he has a ToGo....it's mounted on the roof. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo