Wheel Size

SuiteSuccess

My wheels are HiSpec series 10 I believe.  The biggest wheel size in this series is 16 x 6.5 HD in  an 8 bolt pattern.  Is this what I need for a replacement 17.5 inch tire (215/75R17.5)?  This is to replace my damaged wheel from the brake caliper.PgAwNxNl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

11 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

I guess i need to ask...why would you need to use a 16 inch rim on a 17.5 tire?

That’s what I’m questioning.  My wheel is definitely HiSpec even stickered as such on the wheel.  The only wheel the HiSpec site shows that looks like my wheel is the series 10 but it doesn’t show anything above a 16 x 6.5 HD in an 8 bolt pattern.  Like you, thought it should be a 17.5 inch wheel.

http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/786/Series-10

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I may be out in left field about this but I went thru this 6-7 yrs ago.  The original tires on my Travel Supreme were 16 or 16.5's, can't recall.  They were upgraded to 17.5's.  I think the diameter was the same or close to it.  There is  a safe distance between the tires.

The wheels were ordered with 1/2 or 9/16"" lugs .  Mark Bruss dealt with this in a topic some years ago.

I'd say, lug size and diameter of tire are two key considerations.  My tires are rated at 4800 capacity and  are run at about 75% of the recommended max tire pressure.  Running at full pressure would make for a rough ride.

Truck and trailer are both run at 90 psi, Crossfire on the rear duals and a tire pressure monitor in the cab.

17.5's are the way to go from my standpoint.

28 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

That’s what I’m questioning.  My wheel is definitely HiSpec even stickered as such on the wheel.  The only wheel the HiSpec site shows that looks like my wheel is the series 10 but it doesn’t show anything above a 16 x 6.5 HD in an 8 bolt pattern.  Like you, thought it should be a 17.5 inch wheel.

http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/786/Series-10

I Found this

2 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Thanks DM.  Even says series 10.  Wonder why it’s not on HiSpec site?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

21 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

I may be out in left field about this but I went thru this 6-7 yrs ago.  The original tires on my Travel Supreme were 16 or 16.5's, can't recall.  They were upgraded to 17.5's.  I think the diameter was the same or close to it.  There is  a safe distance between the tires.

The wheels were ordered with 1/2 or 9/16"" lugs .  Mark Bruss dealt with this in a topic some years ago.

I'd say, lug size and diameter of tire are two key considerations.  My tires are rated at 4800 capacity and  are run at about 75% of the recommended max tire pressure.  Running at full pressure would make for a rough ride.

Truck and trailer are both run at 90 psi, Crossfire on the rear duals and a tire pressure monitor in the cab.

17.5's are the way to go from my standpoint.

My trailer already has 17.5s.  I had a wheel damaged by a brake caliper that let loose and gouged the inside of the wheel.  I was just looking to replace that wheel with the same wheel (HiSpec) but their web site didn’t list a 17.5 inch size in the series 10.  Looks like DesertMiner may have found it.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I just converted to 17.5 Alcoas.  I needed to replace the brake drums with 9/16" studded drums.  This allows for the "Hub Piloted" 17.5 wheels to center properly.  My OEM 1/2" stud drums were "stud piloted" therefore not compatible with the new wheels.

I got the entire kit of drums, wheels, lugs etc. from Southwest wheel.  I sourced the tires locally.  I was a little disappointed with the Chinese "bearings in a bag" that came with the kit.  I replaced them all with name brand "Timken" bearings and seals.

I went with an 245/70R17.5 18 ply 6200 pound tire.  No more blowouts.  Wheels and tires will follow me to new trailer when that happens.

jo6S9Wq.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

10 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I just converted to 17.5 Alcoas.  I needed to replace the brake drums with 9/16" studded drums.  This allows for the "Hub Piloted" 17.5 wheels to center properly.  My OEM 1/2" stud drums were "stud piloted" therefore not compatible with the new wheels.

I got the entire kit of drums, wheels, lugs etc. from Southwest wheel.  I sourced the tires locally.  I was a little disappointed with the Chinese "bearings in a bag" that came with the kit.  I replaced them all with name brand "Timken" bearings and seals.

I went with an 245/70R17.5 18 ply 6200 pound tire.  No more blowouts.  Wheels and tires will follow me to new trailer when that happens.

jo6S9Wq.jpg

Very nice.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

To add to DesertMiners find

Google Search for hi-spec "series 10" 17.5 may yield additional options

Or you could contact hi-spec directly - in the past they've sold directly to me

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

1 hour ago, TreyandSusan said:

To add to DesertMiners find

Google Search for hi-spec "series 10" 17.5 may yield additional options

Or you could contact hi-spec directly - in the past they've sold directly to me

Thanks Trey. Have tried Google and found what DM posted. Tried HiSpec direct and closed today. Will try again. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 12:18 PM, Scrap said:

Can a guy buy the thermal stickers that are on all of our truck Alcoas and put them on a trailer wheel?  Turns black = it's gotta go.

Anything 5/16 threaded on a RV hubcap?  Maybe put a TempBolt in there?  They don't pop out till 250 though, maybe too late?

You can not buy the Alcoa heat indicators. But there are many similar products from Grainger or similar. You just need to pick the heat setting.
I have reached out to my dealer rep to see if they will tell me what the temp range actually is on their sticker. I will reply if/when I find out.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

4 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

You can not buy the Alcoa heat indicators. But there are many similar products from Grainger or similar. You just need to pick the heat setting.
I have reached out to my dealer rep to see if they will tell me what the temp range actually is on their sticker. I will reply if/when I find out.

Thanks for any info. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Alcoa replied to keep the wheels under 300° to prevent damage. So with that bit of info you can find 300° or less heat indicators and put them on. bear in mind the Alcoa stickers are INSIDE the wheel. So its going to read a truer temp then a sticker on the outside where air flow will keep it a few degrees cooler then the wheel itself. But something like this https://www.grainger.com/product/THERMAX-Non-Rev-Temp-Indicator-8AUC2 would give you a decent idea of what your wheel has seen.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

14 minutes ago, Imurphy907 said:

Alcoa replied to keep the wheels under 300° to prevent damage. So with that bit of info you can find 300° or less heat indicators and put them on. bear in mind the Alcoa stickers are INSIDE the wheel. So its going to read a truer temp then a sticker on the outside where air flow will keep it a few degrees cooler then the wheel itself. But something like this https://www.grainger.com/product/THERMAX-Non-Rev-Temp-Indicator-8AUC2 would give you a decent idea of what your wheel has seen.

Thanks for the info.  I shot my wheel temp with infrared immediately upon exiting the truck.  It was 190*.  So likely wheel was not thermally damaged or weakened?  Is that correct?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3