Ac problem

GlennWest

Well. Been riding around with no ac. I gassed it up last year and it leaking at compressor. Hadn't messed with it till recent. Got me compressor, dryer. Put it on today. Pulled vacuum and no leaks. Yah. Went to gas up, took half can of gas and stopped. Would not take anymore. Kept trying. Different guages. Then loud pop. Hose burst. Believe it had collapsed inside before bursting. Pulling out tommorow so this will have to wait. Thought for sure I would have AC this trip.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

actually after this move, be 1 to 2 years before moving. So quick not in equation. 

Gotcha. Thought you were still mid-trip. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I had one line leaking on my Freightliner. They were all corroded together. Ended up with everything new from the condenser back. Got lucky and didn't have to replace the evaporator coils.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

That is my next project, how the dash AC and condo AC connects? Are they separate unit, or both use the same compressor? Can I just fix the dash one and retire the one under the bed?

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

Padraic, yours could be close to mine.  1 compressor feeds both.  Yes, you could retire the one in the sleeper.  I know I would not want to retire mine though.  I have a lot larger sleeper (770) and we sometimes need to turn that a/c on to stay comfortable.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

All those lines are expensive.  But, if you ever want to sell the truck, they might be a good investment.  A prospective buyer may just pass on your truck, wondering where else you took a shortcut.

I've had to replace mine, in three seperate events.  If you have one bad, and others are pretty corroded, just bite the bullet and do them all.  This not a cheap game we're playing, and trying to slide by can bite you in the wallet down the road.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 7/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, Padraic said:

That is my next project, how the dash AC and condo AC connects? Are they separate unit, or both use the same compressor? Can I just fix the dash one and retire the one under the bed?

Fix them all. I run my bunk air all the time. Even in my work truck. Yesterday it was 98 degrees out. Lots of heat coming in the cab from the sleeper.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thanks for the info, is there any shop manual or drawing on the AC to know where the line and connections location. In an AC, you got the compressor, condenser, evaporator and expansion value along with high and low side gauge ports and connecting lines. Mine was leaking in one season. Now it more like a week.

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

On July 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM, Padraic said:

Thanks for the info, is there any shop manual or drawing on the AC to know where the line and connections location. In an AC, you got the compressor, condenser, evaporator and expansion value along with high and low side gauge ports and connecting lines. Mine was leaking in one season. Now it more like a week.

I usually check Mark Bruss's site first then over to Volvo's manuals.  My Volvo is gen 2 so not the same as yours.  I said that to add that many manuals can be downloaded for free but you have to pay for paper versions.  Info for the gen 1 Volvo's might be harder to find in the electronic version?

http://www.dmbruss.com/Schematics.htm

https://volvotrucks.vg-emedia.com/InformationSearch.aspx?SearchId=16

i had to guess where the AC service info is, maybe engine? 

Edited by Sculptor
Manuals links

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg