ECR Project Build Update of 50 Amp Outlet Tester

RandyA

I’ve had some recent questions about the ECR Project Build of a 50 amp RV outlet tester that hopefully I can answer here.

I have made some changes in the design and materials, all implemented to make the project more useful and easier to build.  It is designed somewhat after the traditional 3-light 120-volt tester I believe we are all familiar with but is expanded to include the second 120-volt wire on the 50-50 amp RV outlet.

THE TESTER WE WILL BE BUILDING

IMG_2683.jpg

LED’s will not be used.  In their place are either green or red Neon lamps with the voltage dropping resistors in place – easier, fewer parts and more accurate.

Revised tools needed list is:

7mm high temp glue gun

Low wattage soldering iron

solder

Drill with #12 or 3/16” bit

Small side cutters

Needle nose pliers

#2 Phillips screwdriver

Pocket knife or Exacto Knife

Glasses

The tester will be built as a go or no go tester.  In other words, if all six neon lights are not illuminated it is best to find another outlet that passes.  It is not your place to open the PARK outlet box or tell the owner what is wrong.  A licensed and qualified electrician needs to do this.

While there is no voltage read-out the illumination of the neon lights is a good indicator of low or high voltage.

Proper outlet wiring with the following is tested:

Ground and neutral present and contiguous

120-volt power between E1 and Neutral

120-volt power between E2 and neutral

240-volt power across E1 to E2

If there are errors in the outlet wiring like reversed power and neutral, missing grounds or improper voltage from E1 to E2 certain lights will not illuminate.

All materials other than the Camco Plug are provided – you will need to bring a plug to complete the project.

BRING THIS PLUG - IT IS NOT PROVIDED

50%20amp%20plug.jpg

It is available on Amazon and at most all RV supply stores for $12 to $15 dollars.

I will have the above tools available but depending on how many participants we have they may have to be shared.  If you have any you can bring it will be helpful.

It is not too late to sign up. Letting me know you want to participate will be helpful to assure enough neon lamps and tools.  If you do not sign up in advance you are still welcome.  Just be sure to have your Camco or equivalent 50 amp plug so you may complete the project.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Since we cannot attend now, I can order the plug and send it to someone and send additional $$s to have someone make one for me and mail it to me? I can also help with additional parts or something if needed to help contribute. Thanks.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I already have two plugs, so I gotcha covered.  I'll meet up with ya somewhere.......

After ECR, we'rte going to Parkers Crossroads RV between Nashville and Memphis.  We'll be there nearly a week, and exploring the Natchez Trace.  Will you be on our path?

After that, we'll head home (west side Cincinnati) for a while.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I already have two plugs, so I gotcha covered.  I'll meet up with ya somewhere.......

After ECR, we'rte going to Parkers Crossroads RV between Nashville and Memphis.  We'll be there nearly a week, and exploring the Natchez Trace.  Will you be on our path?

After that, we'll head home (west side Cincinnati) for a while.

Yes, we are just outside of Nashville. I'll PM you my number. Appreciate it. 

3 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

just email me.  It's in my signature.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

• 2 weeks later...
On April 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM, lockmup68 said:

Got your tester built.  I'll be going through Nashville Monday.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

What a great and easy project day. Easy build, just be sure wires don’t touch where they shouldn’t or the smoke comes out😊. Thanks so much Randy. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 5/1/2019 at 10:18 PM, rickeieio said:

Got your tester built.  I'll be going through Nashville Monday.

Big thanks to Rick and his wife for taking the time to stop amd meet with us. Good people right there. Sure do appreciate it. And good news, the panel I wired in on our home base property passed the test!

thanks again. 

Don't thank me, thank Randy Agee and his merry band of helpers.

It was a fun simple project, and a pleasure meeting you and your family.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 4/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, RandyA said:

I’ve had some recent questions about the ECR Project Build of a 50 amp RV outlet tester that hopefully I can answer here.

I have made some changes in the design and materials, all implemented to make the project more useful and easier to build.  It is designed somewhat after the traditional 3-light 120-volt tester I believe we are all familiar with but is expanded to include the second 120-volt wire on the 50-50 amp RV outlet.

THE TESTER WE WILL BE BUILDING

IMG_2683.jpg

LED’s will not be used.  In their place are either green or red Neon lamps with the voltage dropping resistors in place – easier, fewer parts and more accurate.

Revised tools needed list is:

7mm high temp glue gun

Low wattage soldering iron

solder

Drill with #12 or 3/16” bit

Small side cutters

Needle nose pliers

#2 Phillips screwdriver

Pocket knife or Exacto Knife

Glasses

The tester will be built as a go or no go tester.  In other words, if all six neon lights are not illuminated it is best to find another outlet that passes.  It is not your place to open the PARK outlet box or tell the owner what is wrong.  A licensed and qualified electrician needs to do this.

While there is no voltage read-out the illumination of the neon lights is a good indicator of low or high voltage.

Proper outlet wiring with the following is tested:

Ground and neutral present and contiguous

120-volt power between E1 and Neutral

120-volt power between E2 and neutral

240-volt power across E1 to E2

If there are errors in the outlet wiring like reversed power and neutral, missing grounds or improper voltage from E1 to E2 certain lights will not illuminate.

All materials other than the Camco Plug are provided – you will need to bring a plug to complete the project.

BRING THIS PLUG - IT IS NOT PROVIDED

50%20amp%20plug.jpg

It is available on Amazon and at most all RV supply stores for $12 to $15 dollars.

I will have the above tools available but depending on how many participants we have they may have to be shared.  If you have any you can bring it will be helpful.

It is not too late to sign up. Letting me know you want to participate will be helpful to assure enough neon lamps and tools.  If you do not sign up in advance you are still welcome.  Just be sure to have your Camco or equivalent 50 amp plug so you may complete the project.

Hi Randy,

P/M sent.     Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 5/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

What a great and easy project day. Easy build, just be sure wires don’t touch where they shouldn’t or the smoke comes out😊. Thanks so much Randy. 

Hi Carl,    P/M sent.   Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• 1 year later...

Part II.....  I've discovered that if you let the tester rattle around in the bay with your hoses, cords, and assorted water fittings, that the little bulbs can get broken.  Duh. They're glass.

So, I need to replace one of the little glow thingies, and then I'm going to split some clear vinyl tubing and hot glue it to the tester as a guard.

So Randy, where can I source one of those magic little bulbs?  And just what are they called?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I sure would like a link to amazon. All the ones I found were 50 bucks or so.

Thanks JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Not the Professor, Rickeieio, but Neon lamps can be found at Digikey Mouser, among others. Given the failure you've encountered, I'd be looking at panel mount style vs the naked lamps shown in the picture upthread.

For bags, use the same links, but you're on your own to search the parts needed.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:02 PM, rickeieio said:

Part II.....  I've discovered that if you let the tester rattle around in the bay with your hoses, cords, and assorted water fittings, that the little bulbs can get broken.  Duh. They're glass.

So, I need to replace one of the little glow thingies, and then I'm going to split some clear vinyl tubing and hot glue it to the tester as a guard.

So Randy, where can I source one of those magic little bulbs?  And just what are they called?

You can get 50 of them with resistors on Amazon for under $10.  I don't have the URL but search 50Pcs F5 5x13mm Super Bright Green Light Neon Light Bulb Indicator Lamp w 82K Resistor or if you want the red rather than green search (again on Amazon) for uxcell 100Pcs F5 5x13mm Bright Red Light Neon Light Bulb Indicator Lamp w 150K Resistor   - with the latter you get 100 for around $12.  I wish I had some spares but I have no idea what may have happened to them.  They are nowhere to be found in my junque box.  Sorry yours broke - but I tried to warn you! 😃

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!