A BAD DAY for the Weight & Balance Police

Dollytrolley

In the distant past I have cobbled up a few Weight & Balance calculations here on the forum and even while horse camping at Lake Mead a HDT camper 

commented that I was the Weight & Balance geek of the forum.........(I've been called worse)........so........news drifts in this morning that Weight & Balance seems to have lost ......It's ....Balance......

A third-party Aerospace Data Service called Aero Data that provides live Weight & Balance services to several large airlines had it's services compromised by tech-issues so a very large group of airline flights were unable to depart as previously scheduled........ouch....

Many folks assume that large aircraft are able to just fly off with fuel tanks full and seats full and a train full of luggage crammed in the belly and....... most days this seems the norm HOWEVER Capt. Willy and First Officer Nilly first have to cobble a best guess of the takeoff, enroute, and landing Weight & Balance.........BEFORE Taxi to takeoff............so.....NO Weight & Balance Calcs = NO Takeoff......grim...

So fellow RV'ers ............this is all the better reason to wonder down the road in a RV and stay away from the airport..........RV's don't need Weight or Balance to .......takeoff..........

Drive on.............(Stay out from under........Airliners)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

They should have called me. I coulda run out there with my portable scales and helped out. Airplanes only got 3 sets of wheels, and I got 4 scales. :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hey Phil;

Are ya'll done blowin' & burnin' stuff up yet? Were those fires in Deer Park or in Channelview? What Refinery/Plant? News said there was 1 fatality in the 2nd fire. Hope that was all and that no one else got hurt.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

The most recent explosion was in Crosby, north of me.  Kimco blows up frequently, it needs to be shut down. It is sad that someone died there.

I've been burning vacation since the original fire, working for the cleanup companies. Next week will be the 3rd week of 16hr days watching their equipment, but for what they are paying I cant help myself. 23 days straight and I'll be done with them.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

The 4th one is for monitoring the Dr. Pepper supply.

That is measured in fluid ounces, Murph....no scale required :) unless we are talking about weighing the vessel AFTER the consumption of all that DP.

2014 smart Fortwo

On 4/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, Big5er said:

That is measured in fluid ounces, Murph....no scale required :) unless we are talking about weighing the vessel AFTER the consumption of all that DP.

Afterglow of Dr. Pepper it's then .......Nap-Time

In the stone age a sketchy fly-by-seat-of-the-pants South American outfit had some OLD round engine airliners that hauled pigs, goats, preachers, bandits and lots of beer..........the local water was so dangerous it was standard for the pilots to "Hydrate" with just enough beer to not pass out from lack of hydration or to not get toooooo hydrated that they would not keep the old birds from killing them........

keeping just enough beer ..........but ........not too much beer in the pilot was another factor in keeping the correct..........balance.

Drive on...............(where did the captain leave the ...........Breathalyzer?) 

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Anyone know what “cold mixed” asphalt is? 

Back in the olden days of the late 1970’s a lot of non major highways in flyover country up near the bush at the fringe of farming in Western Canada were being surfaced with a couple or 4 inches of cold mix over the existing gravel. Patches and overlays would be done. It was better than ruts in the rain. Anyhoo this surface would be like cheddar cheese in our hot intense long sun hours days of late June. 

So a friend calls me to see if I would drive his Western Star for a day or two hauling canola seed in to a crushing facility from a country elevator. We were 6 trucks running 3 trips a day. 

I hooks up to a nearly new lead trailer of a “A train” set - semi trailer with a wagon hooked behind. 7 axles weren’t allowed on the cold mix road so we pulled the semi only. These lead trailers were tall and short.

i pull in the elevators and the agent has my 22 tons overhead and I watch it pour in the front, heap it up a bit, then pull ahead. The back end is about 1/2 full when the flow stops. He says “That’s it”. I think “oh oh....”  The Star has “logger air ride” I.e. rubber block suspension- no air suspension gauge to act as a scale. 

I heads out of town and the drive tires are leaving tracks in the cheese. The Hummin Cummins 350 is bellering, in 14 in the 15 over. High EGT is indicated.  And a course the DOT has wind of the truck activity so have a portable scale stop set up. The officer looks at my bill of lading and says you should be good but axes me to pull on his portable scales...which my drivers promptly push into the cheese road.

Had to lend him a pry bar to recover the scales.

The readout said 🔛🔚🔙#️⃣🔀⁉️

He said, “Kinda hot for these stupid things today. You wanna drop a few ton on the drivers next trip?”. 

Lucky!

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

They use it here too.  It passifies the whiners for a bit, but is next to useless.  Just today I drove around a spot where they threw it in a pot hole standing full of water.  That'll last perhaps 10 minutes....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We use AeroData at work.  Glad I was in training this week instead of at work.  Don't know if our flights were affected.  That might have been an unwelcome busy day.

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Archived