Do all of you have collision insurance on your RV'S?

Roadtrek 1

Dutch,

Looks like your company is like mine!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is in Louisiana with USAA. Louisiana is the second highest state for insurance costs. Bear in mind I do not advocate anyone take what is right for me as right for them. I grew up very poor in assets but rich in love and had no father around after age six. All of that conspired to make me decide I could have what I want, by getting the right cars and houses to renovate with end restoration top resale value. Sweat equity and buying used letting others take the 50% hit. Not everyone does but many do. I bought a 2015 Elantra for my wife in 2017 for less than wholesale because the person had to sell it or lose it. THe Subaru dealer offered us exactly what I paid for it in trade so I violated my lifelong rule not to deal with stealerships, and not only bought a new 2019 Subaru Forester, but got it for less than I can sell it for in two years. I am only now reaping the rewards as we decided to not be the most comfortable corpses in the cemetery. However I restored and doubled to quadrupled my money on many of my cars. And I bought "furrin cars" when everyone in my parent's age group were calling me a traitor and to buy American 70s junk. They got better. 

So with that in mind, one also has to remember when discussing insurance, that where you live, or have your domicile, and the company you choose to insure you can raise your vehicle insurance costs by a bit more then 50%. We are moving but as of now, and while we were here taking care of elderly parents, we lived in one of the top two most expensive states for vehicle insurance:

TIYXrrbl.png

That chart is from an interesting article that is on topic here: https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-rates.html

Safe, and economical travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As a full timer it is harder to find insurance. State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Hartford thru AARP all said no. Some will only insure smaller rigs. Nationwide won’t insure a 42 ft Class A. Switched to Geico last year and saved a lot. Just got my annual renewal. It actually went down. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

If you go to that link I provided you can scroll and see Texas is in the top ten most expensive at number 10, and the states at the lowest rates are:

42 North Carolina $1,104
43 Indiana $1,091
44 North Dakota $1,086
45 Wisconsin $1,084
47 New Hampshire $1,039
47 Iowa $1,025
48 Virginia $1,013
49 Idaho $989
50 Ohio $944
51 Vermont $932

To read the list yourself and the state standing for insurance expense click here: https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-rates.html

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Kirk,

Some folks are using their relatives address or keeping their home and becoming snowbirds. For them it helps to know all the expenses and savings in choosing a Domicile. There are many military retirees that full time, but you won't see them as such unless you retired from 20 or more years of service, or are a disabled vet, because we use the military FamCamps as much as possible. So some states, possibly with more scenery, four seasons, and activities like downhill ski areas, cross country ski trails, bike trails and hiking, Oceanside for salt water scuba and skin diving, sail and motor boating and water skiing

Kirk, the income tax? For those of us that are retired military, and or disabled vets, some states exempt them like Louisiana, which exempts 100% of military retired pay, which is my main income. I just bought a house in Colorado, and here is why:

Colorado State Veterans Home

Colorado has 5 state veterans' homes located in Aurora, Florence, Homelake, Rifle, and Walsenburg.

Admission is open to honorably discharged veterans, spouses, widows and “Gold-Star” parents. Each location offers 24 hour nursing care, meals, physician services restorative therapy, transportation, diversified activities, an all-inclusive rate and much more.

Colorado Veteran Financial Benefits

Property Tax Exemption

There is a Property Tax Exemption for 50% of the first $200,000 of a home's value for 100% permanently and totally disabled service-connected veterans. If you are receiving 100% disability solely as a result of an individual unemployability rating you do not qualify.

Income Tax On Active Duty Pay

Active duty military pay is tax-free if stationed and spend at least 305 days OCONUS. Spouse can be exempt too if they meet same requirements.

Income Tax On Retired Military Pay

Military retirees ages 55 - 64 can exclude up to $20,000 retired military pay from their taxable income, those 65 and over can exclude up to $24,000.

Military Family Relief Fund

Colorado may provide grants for families of reservists/guard members called to active duty or to families of active duty members serving in a combat zone.

These grants are intended to help families defray the costs of food, housing, utilities, medical services, and other expenses.

Colorado State Veteran Employment Benefits

Colorado gives veterans’ preference in the form of extra points added to the state employment examination.  Eligibility requirements are as follows:

Five-point preference for:

• honorably separated active duty veterans who served during a time of war or in receipt of a campaign medal.
  • the spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability
  • the widow/widower of a deceased veteran who was or would have been entitled to veterans’ preference.

Ten point preference for:

• honorably separated veterans who are receiving VA disability or pension.

Colorado National Guard Education Benefits

Any member of the Colorado National Guard is eligible for state tuition assistance, up to 100% tuition paid at any CO state-funded school depending on funding available. State funding can be used in conjunction with Federal Tuition Assistance.

Deadlines throughout the year for each term.

Eligibility: Colorado National Guard member must serve 2 years for each year granted.

Colorado Veteran Recreation Benefits

Hunting & Fishing License for Disabled Veterans

Free lifetime combination small-game hunting and fishing license for a resident veteran with a permanent service-connected disability of 60% or more or any resident patient at a VA hospital located within Colorado.

Hunting & Fishing License for Active Duty

Non residents of Colorado and their families can get hunting and fishing licenses at the resident rate while stationed in the state.

Resident Fishing While Home on Leave

Colorado residents who are on active duty and permanently stationed outside of the state may fish without a license while in Colorado on temporary leave.

Free State Park Admission

All active-duty members and veterans are admitted free to Colorado state parks for the entire month of August and on veterans day. There is no residency requirement.

State Park Admission for Disabled Veterans

Veterans with a Disabled Veterans License Plate receive free admission to any state park or recreation area.

Colorado resident disabled veterans with at least a 60% disability can get discounted admission to all Colorado state parks with a Columbine pass.

Colorado State Veterans' Cemetery

The Veterans Memorial Cemetery of Western Colorado is located in Grand Junction. Eligibility for burial in the cemetery is the same as for VA national cemeteries but includes a residency requirement.

Many state benefits are for all vets, some just for active and retired, others for disabled vets with different percentages. If any of you reading are a vet, or married to one, here is the state tax info for each state, as you see many do not tax my retirement pay:

https://www.military.com/money/personal-finance/taxes/state-tax-information.html

For you vets reading here is a list by state of all benefits for active duty, vets, and retirees as I posted above for Colorado: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory.html

So Kirk, many states don't tax any of my income from military retirement. Just because I made a little money after retiring does not change the benefits for those who served.

kevthumb.gif

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

We have our domicile in NY State, where of course there is a state income tax. But we have our income and investments arranged such that we pay no state or federal income taxes anyway. Keeping our domicile in NY also allows us to claim seniors and veterans exemptions on our exit plan cottage property and school taxes, cutting them nearly in half. NY also has low weight based vehicle registration fees ($70/yr for our MH), and no personal property or wheel taxes. As has been said many times, everyone's circumstances are different, making getting appropriate legal and tax guidance highly advised when deciding domicile issues.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Perzactly Dutch. One size does fit all, of that one size!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived