Yes, I looked at the resource guide, Storage Boxes, who uses what and why?

mr. cob

I have a 24 x  24 x 24 and a 24 x 24 x 18 RKI boxes on my bed. I chose RKI because they are made in Texas and quite popular in the Oil Patch. They are mounted under the bed behind the wheels an so far have had no water incursions. I use the doors as steps to access the bed.

The cost was under $400.00 for the larger one.

ShortyO

1 hour ago, wtgeodog said:

I have a 24 x  24 x 24 and a 24 x 24 x 18 RKI boxes on my bed. I chose RKI because they are made in Texas and quite popular in the Oil Patch. They are mounted under the bed behind the wheels an so far have had no water incursions. I use the doors as steps to access the bed.

ShortyO

Hi Shorty,

Are your boxes made from steel ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, wtgeodog said:

ShortyO

I looked at those boxes. The 18" depth turned me off. Mine are 30" deep. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy All,

Has anyone bought and used the boxes made by these folks, https://chandlerequipment.com/

I sent in a request for a quote they replied and the costs seem reasonable, the shipping is much less.  I called and talk to one of their people this morning, he told me that they sell most of the their boxes to people working in the oil fields as they need heavy duty boxes that will hold up to the abuse of that kind of duty.  100% made in the USA in Arkansas, 12 gauge steel with grease-able hinges, he told me this was a stronger-better hinge system then the piano hinge that is used on most other boxes.  So if anyone has first hand knowledge of these boxes please post it up, thanks.

Dave 

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

21 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Has anyone bought and used the boxes made by these folks, https://chandlerequipment.com/

I sent in a request for a quote they replied and the costs seem reasonable, the shipping is much less.  I called and talk to one of their people this morning, he told me that they sell most of the their boxes to people working in the oil fields as they need heavy duty boxes that will hold up to the abuse of that kind of duty.  100% made in the USA in Arkansas, 12 gauge steel with grease-able hinges, he told me this was a stronger-better hinge system then the piano hinge that is used on most other boxes.  So if anyone has first hand knowledge of these boxes please post it up, thanks.

Dave 

Hi Dave,

I would like to hear the answer to your question myself. I was thinking about going with Chandler myself.

Al

For our build, we bought the sheet metal, brought to one shop to have it CNC Plasma cut.  Brought the cut out box and door pieces to a sheet metal shop and had them broke.  Then we assembled them into the deck.

As to a cost comparison, even paying for the plasma cutting and bending services, we spent a lot less than buying premade boxes and then designing a support system to mount them and incorporate them into the build.

The other GREAT part, we did not have to conform to THEIR sizes.

Even if you are paying shop rate for your deck build, I would wager that it can be less to fabricate your own, especially if you sub out the cutting and bending services.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I got 2 used 24x24x48 with mounting brackets for $600. From VanderHaags. Yea they are a little dingy and one corner of one had a little rot but no big deal if you are handy with some tools and can do a little fabrication. I did end up making new mounting brackets because I mounted them to my bed not the frame.

https://www.vanderhaags.com/Search-Results.php?subcategory=accessories-tool-boxes&inventorytype=tool-box&typesetid=9000&currentpage=2&recordcount=408&paged=true

6A4Voujl.jpg

c70a0f318174b4cb79b9d5ad08cd545b.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Howdy jenandjon,

Thanks for the link, I found some that might work, I'll call them next Monday.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 11:49 AM, mr. cob said:

Howdy jenandjon,

Thanks for the link, I found some that might work, I'll call them next Monday.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was just curious to see how you are making out finding storage boxes. I am still in the market  for storage myself. Still undecided.

Thank you for any input,
Al

2 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dave,

I was just curious to see how you are making out finding storage boxes. I am still in the market  for storage myself. Still undecided.

Thank you for any input,
Al

Howdy Al,

After a lot of phone calls to different makes for truck boxes I decided to go with these folks,

https://chandlerequipment.com/product-category/truck-and-trailer-accessories/underbody-toolboxes/

I talked to Ty, at Chandler for quite some time and after talking to the folks at PROTECH and American Truck, I went with a pair of 24"x24"x24" steel power coated Black boxes.  I didn't want aluminum boxes, I wanted a steel boxes, built strong at a reasonable price, for me Chandler fit the bill.  They should be delivered today, if they are I'll report back with my opinion after I have put an eyeball on them.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Al,

After a lot of phone calls to different makes for truck boxes I decided to go with these folks,

https://chandlerequipment.com/product-category/truck-and-trailer-accessories/underbody-toolboxes/

I talked to Ty, at Chandler for quite some time and after talking to the folks at PROTECH and American Truck, I went with a pair of 24"x24"x24" steel power coated Black boxes.  I didn't want aluminum boxes, I wanted a steel boxes, built strong at a reasonable price, for me Chandler fit the bill.  They should be delivered today, if they are I'll report back with my opinion after I have put an eyeball on them.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was thinking about going with Chandler Equipment myself. I also want to go with steel boxes. It will be nice to hear what you think about the boxes.

Al

Alan, I have a 24 x  24 x 24 and a 24 x 24 x 18 RKI boxes on my bed. I chose RKI because they are made in Texas and quite popular in the Oil Patch. They are mounted under the bed behind the wheels an so far have had no water incursions. I use the doors as steps to access the bed.

ShortyO

They are steel.  You can look at them in person next week

18 hours ago, wtgeodog said:

Alan, I have a 24 x  24 x 24 and a 24 x 24 x 18 RKI boxes on my bed. I chose RKI because they are made in Texas and quite popular in the Oil Patch. They are mounted under the bed behind the wheels an so far have had no water incursions. I use the doors as steps to access the bed.

ShortyO

They are steel.  You can look at them in person next week

Hi Shorty,

I will have to take a look at your truck when I get to the ECR. That way we can talk more about the storage boxes.

Al

Alan, I just ordered from Chandler.  12Ga steel all around and reasonable price (cost and shipping) plus the very helpful sales rep sold me.  Got a 24x24x30 black powder coated box.

Should be here next week.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Howdy All,

My boxes arrived yesterday, I got a look at them today, I am very happy with my choice of going with Chandler for my storage boxes.  Very well made, 12 gauge steel, nice powder coat finish  and a great looking weather seal, door and lock assembly.  I received the wheel chocks and winches from Jack, also got the hold down straps so now its just waiting to get the deck started and finished, of course the guy I choose to build the deck is swamped with work.  Oh well, I don't have anything planed for travels right now so its not a big deal but within a month I want to put some miles down so I am still antsy to get this DONE.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

My boxes arrived yesterday, I got a look at them today, I am very happy with my choice of going with Chandler for my storage boxes.  Very well made, 12 gauge steel, nice powder coat finish  and a great looking weather seal, door and lock assembly.  I received the wheel chocks and winches from Jack, also got the hold down straps so now its just waiting to get the deck started and finished, of course the guy I choose to build the deck is swamped with work.  Oh well, I don't have anything planed for travels right now so its not a big deal but within a month I want to put some miles down so I am still antsy to get this DONE.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the update.

Al

On 4/13/2018 at 7:03 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

If an important need for towing comes up:

2x4 s across the frame

1/2 inch exterior spruce plywood, ripped in half

steel bands or similar around a couple cross members

and wa la!  fenders

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Some time has gone by. Do you have any more thoughts about your Chandler storage boxes ? Can you please give us an update ?

Thank you for any input,
Al

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dave,

Some time has gone by. Do you have any more thoughts about your Chandler storage boxes ? Can you please give us an update ?

Thank you for any input,
Al

Howdy Al,

I really like these storage boxes, very well built, great over all quality and the price is right, I would buy them again with no hesitation.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

20 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Al,

I really like these storage boxes, very well built, great over all quality and the price is right, I would buy them again with no hesitation.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That's great to hear. I heard that Chandler had a quality product.

Hope to see you again some time down the road,
Al

Archived