How scared should I be to install the folding LNB arm kit?

I modified an existing dish a while back to make the arm capable of folding.  It was actually quite easy.  The arms are just riveted to the mount on the dish.  I drilled out the (4 if I remember correctly) rivets holding the arm on and found the right sized bolts with some wing nuts to replace them.  The bolts (two of them) were long enough to be inserted on one side and pass all the way through the arm assembly and come out the other side where I could attach the wing nuts.  When installing the bolts, I did have to fish them past the coax cables inside the arm, but that was easy enough.  I could then remove one bolt and allow the other to act as a hinge for folding or remove both of them and store the dish in two pieces (which was what I usually did because it was less bulky.)  The whole modification only took a few minutes and worked quite well until I finally switched over to an automated dish and gave the modified one away.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Sounds about like what I did to ours, Chad. The rivets were closer to press marks in the steel, where the 2 pieces were pressed together. This also made it easy to drill the holes. I think I drilled the holes before trying to take the pieces apart, replacing each press-point with a bolt and wing nut.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

When we carry the tripod dish inside the motorhome, I just remove the arm from the reflector.  No worry about misalignment of the arm.  I did change out the hex nuts with 1/4" T-Knob nuts to facilitate  the removal and assembly.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The reason we did not go with the folding arm is that the dish, with the arm folded would have been too high for the space we had in the motorhome.  The arm fits nicely next to the reflector in the space.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

For moves between sites, I just pop the assembled dish off the tripod and stow both in the back of the toad. The arm nestles nicely between the rear seats in our SUV. About the only time I break the dish down to stow it in a bin is when we hook up at our NY cottage and connect to the permanent dish there. Then, all I do is pop the reflector off the mount by removing four 1/4" plastic handled nuts and carriage bolts, and then stow the mount, arm, and LNB as a unit along side the reflector. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Since we try to use the Winegard Trav'ler as much as reasonable, the tripod dish only comes out when we have a tree obstruction for the WA or when we are using the EA.  When in the EA area and from site to site we will be using the tripod, then I carry the assembled dish in the back of the Equinox.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Lucky you got the ladder holder when you did. No longer available when we got the Bounder, so we disassemble.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Follow the instructions and there will be no problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Well crap, that didn't work.  Going to call the retailer tomorrow and see if the installer can come back out and find the problem.  If nothing else, I'll put the solid arm back on and find a spot for the dish/arm on the 5er bed when traveling.  I'll let it snuggle between a few pillows.

Archived