Michigan Winter Weather

VegasFlyer

Is there anyone on the forum who lives near Muskegon, Michigan?

We are looking at picking up a new Toy Hauler in a few months and want to plan the trip so as to avoid the bad weather season.

We are trying to plan the trip as soon as possible, while dodging the bulk of the snow weather.

We will have extra time built into the schedule just in case we get caught in a winter wonderland and need to sit it out for a few days.

Any information would be helpful.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Hi John, we used to live near Detroit.  There may be other members who can add more than I can.   In a few months, you will be past the worst of it.  Do you have a month in mind?

for a few years we were interested in snowmobiling so would watch weather and plan around late January or early February.  You could usually plan for that time frame but nothing later as most snow would be gone.  Usually there will be a February thaw.  Hard to plan a trip around that because every year is different.  But, afterward it gets cold again with not a lot of snow.  

All of the above doesn't take lake effect snow into consideration.  My guess on that is, the lake will be much colder in February and March.  That MIGHT mean less chance of snow that time of year from lake evaporation?  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

what month?

lake effect is very local and diminishes by late winter, in fact if the winter is very cold and the lake freezes over lake effect is shut off.

snow could be very local or hang around for a weak after a big storm ,stay in contact with the vendor and have a flexible schedule.

By mid march you should be good, april almost  in the clear.  

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Plan for April or May if you can. Do you plan to pick it up and stay a few days to make sure everything is ok? If so then check when the campgrounds open up in that area and that will give you a good idea.

Muskegon is right near Lake Michigan and gets lake effect snow. We did a car show a few years ago in Grand Rapids, which is a little farther south, in March and weather started out cold but clear. About the time we got near there, the snow started, forecast only showed an inch or two. Eight inches later, it finally stopped. Luckily we had no water in the tanks and had a generator to run. We stayed with family. When we went leave the plows had not been by yet but had our 4WD dually at the time and pulled thru the snow. 

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Michigan's weather is unpredictable at times especially near Lake Michigan; putting up dry hay is a real challenge.  We can receive lake effect snow from the end of Nov. through the end of March.  Snow only slows us down, rarely dose it stop us.  The state is use to snow and has the equipment to deal with it.  We can get 6 inches over night and drive home from work on clear dry roads.  Keep an eye on the weather as you approach the Chicago Area and plan your route from their to Muskegon.  94 to 196 around the lake can get a little dicey if it is snowing.  If the weather is marginal around the bottom of the lake we take 80/90 to 131 north, you pay a toll but has less traffic & usually less snow.  Have a good trip, but if you do run into weather be Easy on the Gas, light on the Brake and 2 hands on the wheel. 

Good Luck

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

16 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Thanks guys!  We are looking at the first of March as the best time for getting time off.  

Just curious how where that will be weather wise?

We have roofed a barn in our T shirts but have also shoveled a foot of snow.  We picked up a truck in Fargo in March you will be fine.

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

I'm just south of Detroit so not an expert on western Mi weather, but they are equipped to deal with the lake effect snow usually in less than 24 hours.  My advice would be to keep in touch with the local people for weather advice/warnings also be mindful that the plains states are known for their wind driven snow and winter storms, watch the forecasts and plan a southern route with a hop up north and then run back south to go home. With that being said I've been stuck in blizzard conditions in Atlanta GA on 75 and the Iowa, Kansas plains on 80/90 in Feb. I think I70 is far enough south to be a good choice and then head north from Indy if the weather looks marginal

Grew up and lived In West Michigan ( Grand Rapids area ) 'til eight years ago . 

March is unpredictable , but for a short time frame .

Honestly , I'd wait until after the salt has been washed off the roads . 

I'll simply wish you the best of luck . :)

Goes around , comes around .

Here's the weather history for this past March 5, 2017 for Muskegon, MI.  You can plug in any date to get an idea of the weather but as we all know, it can change.  We're from the Kalamazoo area - a little south of Muskegon and I can remember snow in May!  Good luck.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMKG/2017/3/5/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Excellent information guys!

We figured that a state like Michigan would be better prepared to handle the white stuff.  It's always great to get the best scoop from those who love there, as far as what roads might better than others, etc.

Thanks everyone!! 

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived