W/10 Home Fall Creators Update I Cancelled it!

Pieere

Sunday I tried to get the new Upgrade to install on My W/10 Home Edition using a Verizon HotSpot Jetpack on My Acer that has been updated to current before the Creator 1709 version. It has an 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. The Hot Spot showed 2 bars. After 6 hours downloading and then the install process it went back to trying to download again. I closed the Window and shut the computer down. :wacko:

I don't want to Upgrade now if it is going to take this long to Install. I hope MS shows a way to stop the install. I am satisfied with the way it works now! :D

Update 10/31.2017::   After another 6 hours yesterday it finally installed! :D 11 hours, sure is ridiculous! Looks like one has to live in Metropolitan areas or be wealthy to get fast download speeds!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I selected to download to a USB so I could install on several systems. Took about an hour on a DSL land line.

Installed it on my Acer notebook - took about three hours. No issues during the install.

Had the same problem twice now - after the machine goes to sleep mode, I get a blue screen crash on restart  and it submitted a crash report to M/S in each case.

The machine seems a bit slower now.

Tried the new Defender protection for ransomware - it puts a fence around the standard system files and Documents folders and authorises standard windows programs access through the fence - at least that is what I understand. But I could not get it to work - I turned on the feature and then opened a word document in the Documents folder - and surprise - it would not allow Update, Yet that fits the standard description. I tried to add Word to the white list but could not make sense of the prompt screens - so right now the feature is turned off until I do more research.

Have not done a fall back yet- will wait a few days to see if they send a fix for the blue screen crashes

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

John,

I downloaded it on each system after the first one failed.

I also toggled the exploit protection but toggled it off because Apps were taking two tries, the system was slower, and it disabled my OTA Hauppauge TV Tuner and my Sling TV app. Nooooooo, it's gone. All is well again and the Fall update is fine. I similar issues with apps after the first major update and they fixed them with the next two patch days.

I am using the feedback system to let them know any minor or major issues I see.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was upgraded to the Creator's update a couple of weeks ago.  Since it installed, I had frequent browser crashes, and the occasional system crash.  I never had that before the upgrade.  So, yesterday I rolled back to the 1703 version, and blocked the 1709 update from installing again.  So far, so good.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

• 3 weeks later...

The Creators update date downloaded maybe 5 days ago and since has prompted me to update now, later or delay 3 days. Powering down showed i had a option power off and restart (standard) plus update, close and restart & such. Anyway I had time do it tonight . Took a half hour. Now the Computer is S L O W  and seems to stop and rest occasionally. The fan runs constant and that portion on the laptop in hot.

The Firefox update was a welcome update but Windows 10 has used 4-6 GB of measured data in several days (That estimate is based regular daily average use. and nothing was unusual on our traffic). And the results horrible.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

After a couple restarts the speed seems back to normal.

Also above I stated the  Windows 10 update used a estimated 4-6 GB. I wasn't thinking about my wife's laptop so really 2-3 GB each computer.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Updated the CU 1709,  my W/10 Tablet with a detachable keyboard. Now it is confused between the Tablet and Desktop modes, put it in the cradle on the keyboard it goes to the Tablet (Vertical) position, out of the cradle it uses the Desktop (horizontal) position, going to Settings and Tablet, I selected Desktop mode, selected do not change. After restarting several times it responds correctly. When I shut down for a few hours or days it goes back to its quirks!

I can't go back to the earlier version, it's been past the 10 day grace period!

I have had some minor issues and decided to wait until the next update and then have the MS tech support do a remote in and see if they can fix my intermittent failure of the apps to start on the first click and then start the next time just fine.

I am also going to check for driver updates on the Dell web page for this AIO.

Many times I forget to check for drivers and then find they were the issue. But these last two major updates both gave fits until a couple of patch days came and fixed them.

I had issues with the original creators update, it would not run on this machine and we did some changes  but I had to revert to the pre-creator's update for a month or two.

Then did it again a month later and all was well.

Report any you find in the feedback app.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV, located the problem! When the Update to 1709 installed it changed the settings. I went to settings>system>display>changed  Portrait to Landscape! Voila!  :D :blink: 

Why do they have to keep reverting things! Am I not confused enuff! :unsure: :rolleyes:

Great! I would never have guessed that.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

This morning I started on my Desktop the Feature Update W10 Version 1709

I started out with the Mobley Hot Spot at 9:15AM downloading at 5.4Mbps
9:43AM  13%
10:46AM  53% at that time I switched to my iPhone Sprint Hotspot 8.1Mbps
11:18AM  100% downloaded

Install done at 12:01
The many, many restarts finished at 12:45PM

No Landscape setting changes found.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

So far our household has 4 of 5 Windows 10 machines upgraded to 1709 (Fall Creator's Edition).  Each took 4 to 5GB of internet usage.  My main machine needs me to enter the pin twice to log on, but otherwise works fine.  The other 3 are all working well.  The remaining machine will be updated towards the end of a billing cycle when we have the GB left to handle it.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

My hat's off to y'all doing those on cell data speeds. I get between 100-200mbps cable broadband, and they took all day for the tablets and my desktop.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 11/27/2017 at 12:02 PM, Biker56 said:

This morning I started on my Desktop the Feature Update W10 Version 1709

I started out with the Mobley Hot Spot at 9:15AM downloading at 5.4Mbps
9:43AM  13%
10:46AM  53% at that time I switched to my iPhone Sprint Hotspot 8.1Mbps
11:18AM  100% downloaded

Install done at 12:01
The many, many restarts finished at 12:45PM

No Landscape setting changes found.

Biker the problem existed on my Windows tablet not my computers!! Pieere

Archived