Roof Ladder Bike Racks

These are not meant to carry much weight.  We have a couple of friends the hung two normal adult bikes off the ladder and lost or damaged the bikes and damaged the ladder.  The ladders are design for 200 to 250# of static weight.  They are not designed for a dynamic load such as bikes shaking on the back of the RV,  The dynamic load can easily exceed the static load limits of the ladder.  Cyclic loading will fatigue the metal and connection point at the RV.

In short, I do not hang a load on my ladder.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We found one on ebay a couple of years ago and found ours, the same one, at a bicycle shop.  Used it for two years so far and its carried two adult bikes with no problem.  We keep it firmly tied down and it prevents it from bouncing.  Never had an issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagman-RV-2-Bike-Ladder-Rack/272819585548?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D48739%26meid%3D6d606701e5fa4e60b3d145f48d20eb63%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D272810857666&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

12 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

These are not meant to carry much weight.  We have a couple of friends the hung two normal adult bikes off the ladder and lost or damaged the bikes and damaged the ladder.  The ladders are design for 200 to 250# of static weight.  They are not designed for a dynamic load such as bikes shaking on the back of the RV,  The dynamic load can easily exceed the static load limits of the ladder.  Cyclic loading will fatigue the metal and connection point at the RV.

In short, I do not hang a load on my ladder.

Ken

That issue crossed my mind.  If I do try one it will be for one bike only moved as close to the ladder as possible and with added tie downs  to reduce moment loads.

We have a Surco bike rack and it is NOT suitable for two bikes although that is how it is advertised. As said, 2 adult bikes weigh too much when you consider the motion they go through on the back of the RV. In fact, it bent one of the arms and fortunately did not hurt the ladder. 

So now we have a bike rack that fits in the receiver hitch on the RV and the Surco rack now is home to a light weight aluminum ladder. In my opinion that is about all that Surco is good for.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Had one of these by Topline on a 30 foot Alpenlite fifth wheel and it broke the ladder and dumped the bikes (2) in the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Topline-Ladder-Mounted-Chair-Rack/dp/B001254TQ8/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1509148090&sr=8-30&keywords=ladder+mount+bike+rack

Granted the back of a fiver probably has a lot more up and down action than a motorhome but I still would never use one again.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Virtually all RV roof ladders are screwed into the fiberglass rear cap and into the roof. They also are rated for 300# static load at most, while not in motion.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Virtually all RV roof ladders are screwed into the fiberglass rear cap and into the roof. They also are rated for 300# static load at most, while not in motion.

I can't speak for all RV's but I can say on mine that the ladder is not just simply screwed into the fiberglass. On mine there are wood blocks behind the fiberglass. Now, I can't with any certainty say how how those blocks are attached but I suspect that they are fastened to the metal framework on either side. The weight posting on the ladders is very likely underrated for its actual capacity, a CYA from the manufacturers. 

In any event, it was the Surco that failed for me, not the ladder. One of the arms bent down. That 3/4" thin wall aluminum tubing is just not strong enough. I was able to repair it using an electricians pipe bender but I would never again trust it to one bike, much less two.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

The back of many RV's bounce and move a lot.  My son purchased a hitch mount bike rack rated for 3 or 4 bikes.  They put 2 bikes on and 300 miles later it is lucky they checked.  The rack nearly fell apart.  Buy a good quality rack and check it.  I replaced the ladder on our RV and added extra braces but I wouldn't trust it to carry a bike. JMO

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Another place to not hang a bike is on the square tube sewer hose carrier bumper.  Had one come into the park and I noticed it was slopped back from the RV.  When talking to the owner, I mentioned this to him and we looked at the bumper.  The metal was torn all the way across on the top on one side.  The other side was cracked.  He had a hitch basket carrier and adapters for two adult bikes.

There are a lot of things sold that should not be used on any RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Freestone,

What type of RV do you have?  After loosing bikes from both a ladder rack AND a receiver mounted carrier on the back of my prior fiver I switched to a pin box mounted carrier.  Also used a front (pickup) receiver mounted carrier.  Both the pin box and pickup front mount provided great visibility of how the carriers were holding up.

I now use a motorcycle carrier rated at 1000 pounds for the harley and keep an eye on it with the backup camera in the MH.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

12 hours ago, lenp said:

Freestone,

What type of RV do you have?  After loosing bikes from both a ladder rack AND a receiver mounted carrier on the back of my prior fiver I switched to a pin box mounted carrier.  Also used a front (pickup) receiver mounted carrier.  Both the pin box and pickup front mount provided great visibility of how the carriers were holding up.

I now use a motorcycle carrier rated at 1000 pounds for the harley and keep an eye on it with the backup camera in the MH.

Lenp

StarCraft 245DS TT.  It does not have a rear trailer mount; just the square "bumper" which has the spare tire mounted on it and and sewer hose inside.  I liked the idea of vertically mounting the bike on the ladder as it better utilizes available space.  Do you recall which make/model ladder rack you had?  Some definitely look cheap and flimsy.  Still the question about rigidity of the ladder itself.  It sure seems pretty stout and would handle one bike (~35#) if secured well.  The other option is to have the rear bumper modified to increase it's load rating; but I won't be able to get that completed in time for upcoming travel.

6 hours ago, lenp said:

Thanks for the idea, but I just added the Stromberg cargo tray to the front A-frame this past summer to store the generator... so that end of the TT is pretty much spoken for :lol:

Howdy!

When we started fulltiming we tried carring our bikes on the ladder attached to the rear of our 5er. Never had a problem carrying them but, it was a pain to mount them on the ladder and secure them and also getting them down. Which basically lead to use not using them much. Also it henderd us from accessing the roof of the RV if needed. We went to a welded 2” receiver on the 5th wheel pin box and mounted a good bike rack to it. Easier to access the bikes by just standing on the back of our truck.

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Archived