Windows Updates A Week Early?

RV_

I can't find anything about the updates that just came in today for all my Windows 10 computers. I do know that the big Fall CReator's update will be installed on the 17th of this month so they may just be a some last minute patches to ease the big update in 13 days.

IN any event there has been an out f cycle update today on all my machines so it includes all 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 10 as four of my six Windows 10 c0mputer run Windows 10 Pro and the remaining two Windows 10 home.

If you have limited bandwidth be aware.

I had no problems on any of my machines.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Did you manually check for updates after the Defender updates were done? I am reasonably sure MS wouldn't write one just for me. It was released on 25 September but I just got it on one system and then on all with a check for updates search. it is KB4040724 and the details are  here. Sept 25th is still out of cycle. Strange as I said.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The weird thing is that all of my six systems showed they needed it a week or so late. It was still out of cycle at that. I think they are tweaking in prep for the big fall Creators Update.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I need some guidance. After the update pc won'the boot. This is a laptop. I pulled out my recovery USB and that failed. 

In the past laptops had a recovery partition but I don'the know if they still do nor do i know how to access it.

What are my next steps? Buy a w10? If I do that how do I install it? 

We are on the road and traveling so options are limited.

As long as you have access to another computer with internet, you can download Windows directly from Microsoft:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_10.html

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Need more info.

Does it power on and show a stuck screen of any kind? Do you still see the flash screen with the option to hit an F key for boot options or for BIOS settings?

If you have no power lights when plugged in and you pushed the power button. It may also be a dead Hard Drive, as well as a bad stick of RAM.

Did you have it set up to dual boot another system on command in the Boot options screen?

If you get no lights at all you may have a bad battery because of A DEAD POWER SUPPLY

More details please.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

OK what was it?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 10/4/2017 at 6:36 PM, RV_ said:

I can't find anything about the updates that just came in today for all my Windows 10 computers. I do know that the big Fall CReator's update will be installed on the 17th of this month so they may just be a some last minute patches to ease the big update in 13 days.

IN any event there has been an out f cycle update today on all my machines so it includes all 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 10 as four of my six Windows 10 c0mputer run Windows 10 Pro and the remaining two Windows 10 home.

If you have limited bandwidth be aware.

I had no problems on any of my machines.

RV,

As you may recall we have chatted off and on the forum and for the last few years my simple needs are 99% met with the "L" OS but of course the "L" is not for everyone, so......l have a need to have a W10 laptop machine dedicated to the data required to care for my 91 year old mom-inlaw so..... 

Last week I dropped buy Fry's and picked up MS Referb Dell I5 4G/250g Laptop W10 home.

I have charged the battery but yet to open the screen so......

You being the go-2-W10-guy....would log on and get the W10 in the loop now or wait till after the new big CTeater update on the 17th? ? ?

Having been out of Windows for several years I am a bit naked (not pretty pic)

Or does it matter when I jump into the Window?

What would U Do?

Drive on.....(when to open....Windows)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

The next creator's fall update will be large and catching up all the other updates will involve the earlier Creator's update. If you have access to a fast connection for hours at a time it really makes no difference. Either way gets them done. A fresh install will involve several years worth of updates. I have done several fresh installs and am glad I am no longer doing these for others.

I do them all first then the newest upcoming which would let me know if there is a problem which batch it was.

I have been rarely online for a week while I sold and processed the paperwork for the trailer I sold and the one I bought both this week. Wasn't ignoring you.

It will be a long haul catch up for sure.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 10/16/2017 at 4:13 PM, RV_ said:

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

The next creator's fall update will be large and catching up all the other updates will involve the earlier Creator's update. If you have access to a fast connection for hours at a time it really makes no difference. Either way gets them done. A fresh install will involve several years worth of updates. I have done several fresh installs and am glad I am no longer doing these for others.

I do them all first then the newest upcoming which would let me know if there is a problem which batch it was.

I have been rarely online for a week while I sold and processed the paperwork for the trailer I sold and the one I bought both this week. Wasn't ignoring you.

It will be a long haul catch up for sure.

RV,

Thanks for the info.

Several years worth of updates sounds like a lot of data to download....

I was hoping that a MS approved Referb notebook might have a later version fresh install needing fewer updates to bringing it up-to-date.....

We are presently still up in our Oregon two summer homes and both have less than stellar internet service so I have some concerns about having the large updates hanging up due to iffy connections......I suppose I could go to the local library where the connection would be better but I was hoping to get other tasks done around the shop while the updates install by themselves.

Perhaps a better might be to wait a couple weeks until we are back to our winter home in South Nevada where we have a killer fiber connection and then the bottleneck will likely be the hardware speed of the notebook itself.

Our Nevada fiber has spoiled us for sure.

How soon we forget checking into a motel and patching into the phoney telephone system and then getting the modem to dial ....nine.....then pause....then dial the office and then....the VPN...... then.....then....then...

Oh the good ole days.....at least back then the malware packages were smaller it seemed......

Well thanks again for the update advice and with this info in mind it seems prudent to wait untill I get back to our fiber connection in Nevada.

Drive on......(Better net connection, better updates..... hopefully)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I'd wait too under those iffy less than optimal conditions. This one takes a loooooooong time and had to fail a couple of times on three of my systems until it finally took.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived