Texas Drivers License Renewal

skpjose

My drivers license renewal is coming up.  Got my last renewal in Livingston in 2011 and had to show proof of citizenship.  Thought that I could renew on line but it turns out I can't, I have a class B license.  Need to do it in person.  Haven't been able to contact the DOT by telephone.  Last time I renewed did not have to take any test, not sure about the vision.  Will I need to take written test or driving test.  Will probably go to Livingston to get the license but El Paso is closer to where we are.

Thanks for any info

DW renewed on-line and has Class A. I had to go in as mine is CDL A. Doesn't matter what 0ffice you use. Eye test only for me, DW had to send an eye form from Dr.

06 Carri-Lite 386KIQ

11 GMC 3500 D/A

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -Crazy Horse, 1874

I'm a bit confused, what is DW?  Per the website only Class C and CM can be renewed on line.  I thought a class A was a CDL.  I'm hoping we don't need to drive or take the written test.

Please un-confuse me.  Hope I'm not embarrassed!!

Thank you for responding

28 minutes ago, skpjose said:

I'm a bit confused, what is DW?  Per the website only Class C and CM can be renewed on line.  I thought a class A was a CDL.  I'm hoping we don't need to drive or take the written test.

Thank you for responding

DW means Dear Wife.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for drivers licensing. Their web site  has contact numbers at the bottom of the page.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, skpjose said:

Thank you for responding

A Texas license can either be a CDL or regular. The Class determines what you can drive. Mine in the past was a Class A CDL. Since I quit driving I dropped the CDL but kept the Class A license. That way I can drive anything I want, just not commercially. Mine also has the motorcycle endorsement so it's actually a Class AM. I haven't renewed since I dropped the CDL so don't know about that.

I knew it was DPS, was on that website.  Everything goes to Austin, takes awhile to get to a place where you can ask for customer service then they say there is a 20+ minute wait.  At one point I did get to the Cleveland office and they aid nothing about the non commercial class B, said I had to show in person. Present license is BM.

Even with the good advice given so far I would say if you have any doubt and it isn't a problem for you then by all means go to El Paso. I renewed my class A in Amarillo last time as an eye test and a new picture was required.  I am a "Livingston" resident.

7 hours ago, skpjose said:

How do I get the exemption form?  Is it on line.  Saw nothing on the TX.org website.  would you email me at skpjose@yahoo.com

Thanks

You need the CDL exemption form and the Out-of-State packet:

CDL-2: http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/FormDetail.aspx?Id=172&FormNumber=CDL-2.pdf

Out-of-state packet: http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/FormDetail.aspx?Id=2527&FormNumber=DL-16P.pdf

Kirk, they have an exempt license, so can't do it on-line.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It appears it can be done by mail, though. David and Cheryl have recently updated their Texas DL FAQ post with all the latest information (original post on first page):

Rob

Looking back, it looks like Barb just said this. Sorry.

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 5 months later...

My husband's license (Class BM) is coming up for renewal in July.  In reading the DPS site, it doesn't indicate whether you need to drive the RV and re-test for the renewal.  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

Bob, Janice & Guinness

40' 2001 DS Monaco Executive, towing 2009 Saturn Vue

You do not need to retest or redrive. Just go down and renew. We did our class AM in October. Just go to any licensing office. Sometimes it is the DPS and other times it is at city hall. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

14 hours ago, NINK said:

In reading the DPS site, it doesn't indicate whether you need to drive the RV and re-test for the renewal.

Texas and most other states do not require one to take the driving test when renewing their license. I have been licensed to drive in 6 different states and none have required me to take any sort of test to renew my driving license. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just did mine (Class A M) 2 months ago at the Texarkana Drivers License Office. 

No line, Eye exam, New Photo and out the door in 3 minutes. 

Forms and documents to have ready... Renewal Checklist / Renewal Application 
For those out of state with Class A or B

Piece of cake!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Similar to Trey, I renewed mine 3 days ago. Had a small line but in and out in 10-15 minutes. Did it in Baytown.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived