RAM truck Long bed or not.

tlerchba@sbcglobal.net

Good day.

I am contemplating moving from an F250 to a RAM 2500 with the Cummins engine and extended cab, for pulling my 37' 11" Keystone Avalanche. I am interested in comments particularly from people who drive or have driven a RAM 2500 with the Cummins engine pulling a fifth wheel. Some time ago I recall reading a discussion regarding whether one emphatically needs the 8' bed in the RAM or if you can pull something like I will be pulling, with a RAM shorter bed.  Thus far in searching the previously owned market, I haven't found all that many RAM's with 8' beds.

Any comments and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Lerchbacker

You will find that most of the Ram 2500 are short beds and the Ram 3500 is a mixture of both.

The main question will be what weight can a 2500 haul?  I assume your 5th wheel trailer weights in at about 13000/14000 lbs. loaded.  So you would need the 17000 tow rate. 

We are looking at the Keystone Cougar 333mks which has a loaded weight at abut 14000 lbs. and I have been hard pressed to find a Ram 2500 with more than a 10000 tow rate.

What is the tow rate on your Ford F250?

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Trailer Life publishes a great towing guide every year and has past years available on their website.  It gives all the options for determining what the capacity is of trucks or other tow vehicles.  I have used it quite a bit for myself as well as others looking for info.

Marcel

Phil,

Thanks for your response.

My F250 Super Duty, 4WD, 6.7 diesel, has a 5th wheel tow rating of 15,900 lbs. My Keystone Avalanche 345TG is rated as 14,000.  

The RAM 2500 with a Cummins Diesel is rated at 17,980 lbs. 

Agree there are far more short bed 2500's out there. My recollection and the reason for my question, I've read that with a short bed truck you would need one of the sliding hitches. Whereas the 8' long bed would not. I don't want to have to buy a new sliding hitch ($1k.)  

If I would able to tow my fifth wheel with either short or long without issues, that is what I am trying to clarify. 

Thanks

Tim

Tim, what you can do is measure from the pin to the side and see what number you come up with (I'm willing to guess 48"). If you are never going to get to 90* then see what the corner measurement is. Look at a short box and measure the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the rear axle. If your trailer has the corners rounded off or something to that effect then you stand a chance of using a short box. I have a long box,but the way my trailer is designed I could pull it with a short box.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I would go with the long box.  Why not bump up to the 3500?  The cost difference is minimal. If you are towing quite often, I would even consider a DRW.  Always better to have to much truck.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Since one of our (mine) concerns is stability while towing.  Wife got scared to death in the MH while going through Wyoming & Montana last year in the wind, that 35 foot slab of MH gets moved around a lot.

As much as I would like to stay with a short bed 3500 because it would fit in my garage (we get hail here in Colorado) I am more leaning towards a long bed, but would like to stay away from a DRW. 

I used to own a Ford F350 4 dr long bed so I already know the pain of parking at the grocery store, etc.

Also note that you get a larger diesel tank in a long bed than the short bed, but I do not know the numbers.

Yes you can add a external fuel tank in the bed but that is just more $$$.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Good day all.

Thanks very much to all of you. You all have given me plenty to think about. My F250 is a long bed so I am familiar with some of the challenges driving it around town. 

Today I took my F250 to a Ford truck deals to see if they can figure out what is up with the very poor mileage I am getting. I took it to a Ford dealer who basically said they couldn't find anything wrong. But they are a car dealer ore than a truck dealer or servicer of trucks. If this truck place says nothing is wrong with it, we will look earnestly to get something different. 

I've looked into a RAM 3500 and if I was full timing that would be my first choice. I have greater concerns about trying to drive a 3500 around wonderful Houston traffic. Plus I expect my wife would simply refuse to drive it since it is a bit wider than anything she has driven before. She would be very capable in my opinion, however, it would be a real tough sell.

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks

Tim

7 hours ago, Phil Saran said:

Since one of our (mine) concerns is stability while towing.  Wife got scared to death in the MH while going through Wyoming & Montana last year in the wind, that 35 foot slab of MH gets moved around a lot.

As much as I would like to stay with a short bed 3500 because it would fit in my garage (we get hail here in Colorado) I am more leaning towards a long bed, but would like to stay away from a DRW. 

I used to own a Ford F350 4 dr long bed so I already know the pain of parking at the grocery store, etc.

Also note that you get a larger diesel tank in a long bed than the short bed, but I do not know the numbers.

Yes you can add a external fuel tank in the bed but that is just more $$$.

You stated that one of your concerns is stability, and that is where a DRW shines way more then a SRW.  If you only tow for a couple of weeks a year, then sure go with a SRW.  As long as you are with in the plated weight limits.  I went with a DRW as I am full time and tow heavy 98% of the time.

4 hours ago, tlerchba@sbcglobal.net said:

Good day all.

Thanks very much to all of you. You all have given me plenty to think about. My F250 is a long bed so I am familiar with some of the challenges driving it around town. 

Today I took my F250 to a Ford truck deals to see if they can figure out what is up with the very poor mileage I am getting. I took it to a Ford dealer who basically said they couldn't find anything wrong. But they are a car dealer ore than a truck dealer or servicer of trucks. If this truck place says nothing is wrong with it, we will look earnestly to get something different. 

I've looked into a RAM 3500 and if I was full timing that would be my first choice. I have greater concerns about trying to drive a 3500 around wonderful Houston traffic. Plus I expect my wife would simply refuse to drive it since it is a bit wider than anything she has driven before. She would be very capable in my opinion, however, it would be a real tough sell.

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks

Tim

There is no size difference between a 2500 and 3500. The 3500 is built stronger to handle more weight.

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

There is no size difference between a 2500 and 3500. The 3500 is built stronger to handle more weight.

Right.  Not all 3500 trucks are duallies.  I would prefer a dually for stability and tire life/security, though.   

My wife won't have a toyhauler because she refuses to sleep in the same box as a car, so I reluctantly bought a diesel pusher to pull my current car hauler.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

As an instructor for RV Driving school. I would not give you a driving lesson in the 2500 short bed. There is not enough clearance to back into a RV parking spot. The 2500 is marginal at best to tow that big of trailer. I know this will draw flame.

If you are up-grading you truck go with the 3500. More brake, safer stop. Remember sales people are trying to make money. They do not care about your safety.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

Definitely would say a 8' bed, 3500 and a dually would be the best towing set up. I towed with a 2500 long bed in the mid 90's (that was what I owned as a daily driver then)  but as I moved up in size realized the dually was the way to go. 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:36 AM, rynosback said:

I would go with the long box.  Why not bump up to the 3500?  The cost difference is minimal. If you are towing quite often, I would even consider a DRW.  Always better to have to much truck.

Yeah, the cost difference is minimal. But what most people don't know, the difference is in the suspension. We test drove both the 2500 and the 3500. Big difference in ride. 3500 is all leaf spring; 2500 is coil spring. Just about everything else is pretty much the same. We went with the long bed and it's a behemoth, but the DRW is overkill for what you're wanting to pull, and not necessary. True, always better to have too much truck, but the 2500 is plenty truck enough for your intended RV. By having the SRW, you can go just about anywhere you want, off-road wise. DRW you're pretty much stuck on the pavement. I didn't say always- I said pretty much.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

11 hours ago, tdst51 said:

Yeah, the cost difference is minimal. But what most people don't know, the difference is in the suspension. We test drove both the 2500 and the 3500. Big difference in ride. 3500 is all leaf spring; 2500 is coil spring. Just about everything else is pretty much the same. We went with the long bed and it's a behemoth, but the DRW is overkill for what you're wanting to pull, and not necessary. True, always better to have too much truck, but the 2500 is plenty truck enough for your intended RV. By having the SRW, you can go just about anywhere you want, off-road wise. DRW you're pretty much stuck on the pavement. I didn't say always- I said pretty much.

You can buy a Ram with an optional rear air assist.  From what I have read people like the ride of it.  There is a big difference in the ride because it can carry and hall quite a bit more weight.  I hear the newer ones ride much better then the older models.  I do not think you will ever drive a 3500 that feels like a Cadillac. 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, rynosback said:

You can buy a Ram with an optional rear air assist.  From what I have read people like the ride of it.  There is a big difference in the ride because it can carry and hall quite a bit more weight.  I hear the newer ones ride much better then the older models.  I do not think you will ever drive a 3500 that feels like a Cadillac. 

That's very interesting; I did not know that. Thank you.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

Archived