new Volvo trucks with "dead" #3 axle

sclord2002

I just saw several new Volvo 780's at my local dealer that had tandem axles but the #3 axle was a dead or tag axle [no pumpkin]. I guess you can spec them any way you want them but these were the first I had seen that were set up this way. It would certainly simplify singling short since the only drive axle is already in the #2 axle position and no driveline changes would be required. Have I just not been paying attention or is this a new trend in tandems ??? Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

When I was a boy, me 'n my pet dinosaur would sit by the road and watch the trucks to see which were "live" tandems, or had a dead axle.

Seriously as late as the middle seventies, lots of OTR trucks had a dead axle, and only trucks intended to go off road had both drive. A pretty large fleet owner near here still orders his new trucks that way. Less weight. fuel, tire wear, etc.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Gotta be a fairly savvy driver or you can manage to get the truck hung on a driveway approach when the dead axle lofts the drive axle because of the angles involved. Don't ask me to explain how I know that...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Guest Lostinaz

You can dump the air in the tag axle.

Trucks like that get stuck easier in mud and snow.

Ruan ran trucks like that into the mines around here and they would have trouble in the mud.

Called a "tag" if behind the drive, a "pusher" if in front. Many co's here in the northeast are going to a LIFT axle. Running a tanker or a usually-empty backhaul saves a bunch on tolls with it up.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Wow, what a great forum. You would think that I would be smarter by now with all the great info shared here. I guess I just started off in the hole, so to speak. Thanks for the replies. Great group of folks. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Consolidated Freightways before their demise ran tag axles on the majority of their road trucks. Keep in mind a little history, consolidated Freightways started Frieghtways Motors which is now Freightliner Corporation. CF ways very innovative in their Maintainance thinking. They also started Pines Trailers to build their own trailers.

With that said I would not run one in our application. I'd either go single or dual powered axles. IMO

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I remember seeing a belt run between the duals from the driver to the tag so the tag actually became a driver without the differential.

Perhaps what you saw was a belt to clean out mud and debris so as the truck went back on the road he didn't sling mud everywhere. It's even been tried with chain.

Not saying it's a good idea, but some folks will try anything.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Perhaps what you saw was a belt to clean out mud and debris so as the truck went back on the road he didn't sling mud everywhere. It's even been tried with chain.

Not saying it's a good idea, but some folks will try anything.

No, it is a drive belt. They do exist and one local farmer has one. There is a name for it, but I do not recall it just now.

I'm a work'n on it.

A drive belt between the drive axle and a non power axle was common in the 50's and before. The manufacturer was Silent Drive.

Actually if you look at even older trucks they ran a huge "bicycle" chain between the axles to drive the rear axle. Now your making me feel old.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Found it. Scroll down to page 2.

http://www.aawheel.com/siteresources/data/files/sdap.pdf

Yep, that's it. Odd thing IMO. From what I'm told it does work, but only mildly. High hp trucks over power them pretty easy. But "back in the day".....they were put under a few gas powered trucks that ran in fields or up in the logging roads etc. Eventually tandem drive won out when lockers were made more robust and operator controlled.

I'm a work'n on it.

Archived