2303 replies to this topic

#1361 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

This is too funny, or at least it is if you have a warped sense of humor.

Paid callout and after hours fees on the fan clutch job last night so I could get to Red Deer tonight. Instead am sitting on the side of the road 2.3 miles on the Canadian side of the border because the mechanic didn't look at the rad hoses last night and one was worn nearly through from the wobbly fan blade.

Looks like a tow into Lethbridge where I will improvise a hose. Volvo has no stock and it will be Tuesday otherwise. Coachnet is being helpful so far which is a positive.

Hmmm.

George,
2006 Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4 SRW
2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring

#1362 campswithcritters

campswithcritters

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 504 posts
  • SKP#:92220

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

The Giant is on the road! OK tomorrow. MO on Monday, IL by next weekend. After that is a blur of inactivity on a 3 week trip to Great Falls MT.
Bruce & Sharon
Boogie & Jack (The campin' critters)
Full-Time since 2006
2005 Freightliner Century ST II with Detroit diesel 60 series 14 Liter 455 hp 3:73 gears, ultra-shift 10 spd, 2L smart car hauler bed and matching paint by 2L Custom Trucks (Gentle Giant)
2010 44.5 ft Spacecraft with bar (Animal House)
2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

#1363 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Finally in Red Deer, Alberta today with all the various units and people and animals that make up Desolation Roe on the road.

A scramble tomorrow to get ready to launch Saturday morning for Vancouver ISland and K's summer quarters. Once that is accomplished I am back to Alberta and back to work. Sometime, meantime we will buIld a bed for the Volvo this summer.

It will be a labour of love. Or something! ;)

Geo

George,

#1364 DonF

DonF

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • SKP#:103279

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

Finally, moved toward Calif -- left Mesa on Tues, got as far as Q, yesterday did a day trip to Algodones for DDS (cleanings, $10 each), shop for grandkid items, & the all-important lunch at Ma-D-Som for some music, margarita & food-combo!

From Q we will head to Beaumont (lower-CA grandkid visit), the onward to SF area (via Pacific beach at Rincon Hwy) to attend family graduation (youngest niece getting RN & cum laude BS degrees).

-Don

Edited by DonF, 03 May 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Smart loader,
ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,
2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),
2005 smart fortwo passion

#1365 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,195 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Currently camped out in the Pilot truck parking area about 80 miles east of Memphis enroute to Tucson, getting ready to enjoy my new mattress in my sleeper. AC is on and watching TV. Life just sucks. :lol:

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#1366 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,725 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Left Junction City,KS yesterday headed towards Woodland Park, CO for the summer. Should get there today if the wind does not blow me off the road.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#1367 campswithcritters

campswithcritters

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Left Junction City,KS yesterday headed towards Woodland Park, CO for the summer. Should get there today if the wind does not blow me off the road.

If that is the same south wind I had behind me today I pity you driving across it. From my side the FL is laying down some record breaking mileage having that same wind from TX to NE Oklahoma. Posted Image
Bruce & Sharon
Full-Time since 2006
2005 Freightliner Century ST II with Detroit diesel 60 series 14 Liter 455 hp 3:73 gears, ultra-shift 10 spd, 2L smart car hauler bed and matching paint by 2L Custom Trucks (Gentle Giant)
2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

#1368 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,725 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Made it to Woodland Park without incident yesterday. Avoided the worst of the wind, but had a 25mph cross/ head wind almost all the way. Pretty much put me into the 5-6mpg range on the plains. When we pulled into Oakley, KS Saturday afternoon the temp was 98*. When we pulled into Woodland Park Sunday afternoon the temp was 56*. This morning there is snow on the ground and in the pines.....Pretty nice out!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#1369 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts
  • SKP#:107761

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Slightly jealous Jack and Danielle - we got to the northern part of TN yesterday with 95 degrees and about 195% humidity I think! :o I am longing for the return to CO the first of June. Heading to southern MO for a couple of days to visit an uncle, then off to explore and fish our new "state of residency" South Dakota. Looking forward to some cooler temps there - just way too hot and muggy here for this wimpy desert gal. Need dryer air at the very least. Have to say that it's pretty here though, just wish the temps were lower! Camps - you were really lucky to get a nice TAIL wind instead of Jack's head wind! Helps the "bottom line" on the fuel budget doesn't it!?

Edited by kingskids, 07 May 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Richard & Sharon, Harley & Scruffy (our cool cats)
2011 DRV 43' customized Elite Denver model
2005 FL Century ("Maverick") by Wayland (2L Custom Trucks)
...truck swooshes by Precision Paint
Photo taken at our sticks and bricks home in CO
Posted Image

#1370 RVGary

RVGary

• Validated Members
  • 107 posts
  • SKP#:103460

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

After 3 nights in the beautiful Smokies we motored non-stop to one of our favorite locations in the world -- Lake Norman, North Carolina. We arrived in time for happy hour and a tour of our new home for some of our “most fun” old friends, the Bakers and Bumgardners. The month-long party has started, and the rest of the N.C. crew will join us Saturday on the Bumgardner’s dock to solve the world’s problems. This could require a designated driver back to the rv park.

30kt cross wind on I-40 but the new bus handled the wind in style...Some trucks had problems at Black Mountain.
2012 42QD Itasca Ellipse, 450 Cummins with a Toyota toad...

#1371 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Just arrived in Anacortes, WA. Going to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island tomorrow early. Weather is fantastic, the trip was simply amazing with bright sunny conditions the whole way through the Canadian Rockies. Lots of snow beside the road in the high passes. We are still early in the season.

Got attitude at the border which is unusual for us. Had to justify why we were coming to the US to spend our money. Quite odd.

Also got earache over taking my RV through the RV lane. Explained nicely that my 65' (or so) was much easier to maneuver than a 45' motorhome, but it just seemed today the guardians of the wild frontier wanted none of it. Like, yeah, right, next time I'm going on the commercial side so they can b***h instead. Some days...
They asked about people hiding in the fiver but at least didn't want to look.

I may have to add Sumas to my very small list of places not to cross at when you have an easy alternative.

Geo

George,

#1372 campswithcritters

campswithcritters

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Camps - you were really lucky to get a nice TAIL wind instead of Jack's head wind! Helps the "bottom line" on the fuel budget doesn't it!?

Yep I was, but not to worry it's out of the north now and heading for west central Missouri tomorrow.
Where you going in SD? I will likely take the I-90 corridor through there in 10 to 14 days heading to Montana, got a cousin around Chamberlain that I need to visit.
Bruce & Sharon
Full-Time since 2006
2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

#1373 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

Where you going in SD? I will likely take the I-90 corridor through there in 10 to 14 days heading to Montana, got a cousin around Chamberlain that I need to visit.

Bruce & Sharon - We'll either be in Madison or Ft. Pierre - holler at us if you're in the area. We're trying to get some fishing in. Richard said we've done too much dragging the boat around and not nearly enough time in the water! But do let us know if you'll be in the area, we're not in the water every day or all day long most days, so there's always some time to sit and shoot the breeze with one of our fellow "dark side" travelers!

Oh man - just read about the "accident" that your trailer incurred - so glad it wasn't worse, but sorry that some dumb butt couldn't drive! Hope the repairs go well! Meantime, try to stay away from idiots who can't even maneuver a LGT (little girly truck)!

Edited by kingskids, 08 May 2012 - 06:35 AM.

Posted Image

#1374 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

In N. Little Rock. Truck thought visiting the local FL shop would be nice. It developed a big air leak and would not build air yesterday morning. GS ERS came through and had it towed to the shop. I'm in a nearby motel.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#1375 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

So sorry to hear about the "visit" Brian - hope BTTB doesn't require too much work and $$ to get back on the road. Naughty truck :angry:
Posted Image

#1376 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Elk City, OK today. BTTB likes 70mph just fine but the fuel tank doesn't. Lol. Still having air problems. Goes from 125 to below 100 in 15 min and needs 1200 rpm to start building pressure back up. Did FL rip me off?

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#1377 Quinn The Eskimo

Quinn The Eskimo

• Validated Members
  • 203 posts
  • SKP#:SKP # 97119

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Bonnie and I arrived at our property in Wisconsin (Westfield) today (5/9). We will be spending the summer here till about the middle of September.
Gail & Bonnie Quinn (Full-timing since July 18, 2004)
2001 Volvo 610 autoshift (Ultimate V Rod) 465 HP, 1650 Torque, 3:42 gears with air locker, pictures of build can be seen @ http://community.web...theeskimogquinn
2010 New Horizons 45' custom Majestic, pictures of construction can be seen @ http://picasaweb.goo...com/gailquinn48
2003 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI, 100 HP, 118 Torque; Blog of 2007 Alaska trip @ http://quinntheeskim...nn.blogspot.com
2013 Smart Passion fortwo coupe

#1378 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

Brian - how could we know if they ripped you off? You never told us what they did or didn't do... Sorry you're still having problems though.
Posted Image

#1379 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Brian - how could we know if they ripped you off? You never told us what they did or didn't do... Sorry you're still having problems though.

I chose to modify my "BTTB is Fixed" thread rather than going into details here on "On the Road" section. Anyway, I'm 30 miles east of Albuquerque and BTTB roared as advertised all the way. Have to stop in Cochiti Lake to pick up my slider tray in the morning then heading for Tucson. ETA for Tucson is tomorrow evening or Sunday morning depending how tired I get.

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#1380 TreyandSusan

TreyandSusan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 577 posts
  • SKP#:108475

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

In Lincoln, NE for a week. Then headed East to Chicago.

Susan & Trey Selman | HDT: 2001 770 VED12 | 5er: 2002 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | 2008 Piaggio MP3 400 | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |