Will be a newbie to hdt

Sbourgon

Hi all, I'm looking for opinions from folks who have the set up I am discussing.

We currently are starting our semi/part-time retirement. We bought a 2014 Jayco Pinnacle 38 FLFS and we tow it with a 1 ton Denali SRW. In 1 1/2 years we have travelled approx 17,000 miles and have had a few scares. As well have found the trailer to need some repairs as well as replacement/ upgrade to suspension due to the earthquakes of driving down the fabulous hwy's! Lol

Anyhow, I have seen many fulltimers in our travels who use HDT's to tow their fivers. Do any of you have the newer smart cars sitting behind the cabs or are they to long? Will they stick out to far on each side?

we are also contemplating a semi-trailer by Spacecraft that would be 44' long, has anyone had issues when pulling a longer trailer in the states that only allow 65' total length? Truck and trailer together.

reason we are looking at the spacecraft Semi is it seems to be built to handle the road over the long haul.

as for the truck we are looking at Volvo's 780 what wb should we go with 225-237-239? Also have had a few sales men tell me that it does not matter what rear end gears are included since the trucks HP can compensate. Anybody have suggestions on HP and gear ratio to try and stick with ?

someone also mentioned the Drv, but it is not built on a semi Chassis.

any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Escapees!  I read your post on Irv2 I believe.  You'll have a much better response over here.  Being longer than 65' is ignored for the most part.  Many are overlength and just accept it.   Being non-commercial helps us from being scrutinized too much.   Having a Smart Car sideways behind the cab, even the new one's has been a non-issue so far.  If you looking at Volvo's, most will have the D13 or larger engine and many will have the I-shift transmission attached.  Finding the exact right gearing for us light weights is just about impossible as most HDT's are geared for 80k loads at 65mph.  If you contemplating a Space Craft Semi design, you will definitely need an HDT.  They are not light weight!  If you are near Idaho the 2nd week of June there is a get together there.  Another National rally in Hutchinson Kansas in October as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thank you, a little hard for us get down that way in the summer, since we are way up north, however are hoping to leave around oct 15th to head down either Florida way this year since last year we did Arizona and Texas.

when you say impossible what would be the ideal gear ratio for such a set up?

yes you are correct, I first posted on the other forum, was not sure how to go about this. Linda redirected me here.

Read here for a start http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/125947-730-with-247-rear-end-gearing-too-tall/  

This subject comes up quite frequently.  Unless you can custom order your truck, I don't believe there is an off the shelf package that is optimum for us.  Myself, We have an older Volvo 610 with a small Cummins and a 10sp. Trans with a 2:93 rear end.  If I could drop to a 2:64 or 2:5?? it would improve my mileage slightly at the interstate speed limit and drop us into the middle of the power band instead of being at the top of it.

Searching for a truck is fun.  Look at https://www.truckpaper.com/ for ideas.  Trucks become available here on occasion, check out the For sale section.  Also Racing Junk, and the horse hauling crowd sell trucks regularly.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My rig is a 730, 40' Travel Supreme, total length 66'.  I used to have a 2006 Smart, 97" long but got a new 2017 convertible last fall.  New one is 104" or 106, can't recall but so far after 10k miles from Victoria BC to Ft Meyers and back no issues.  This even after a B train carrying hay clipped my passengers mirror and the State Patrol was called and had a look over my rig more out of general interest than anything else while info was swapped.

When are you looking to start putting this combo together?

This was the third trip for me and no issues other than general repairs. Most pre scheduled.

My truck came from RDO Trucks in Fargo.  One of 61 returned grain haulers.  More on that if you want.  I asked the salesman to get me the pick of the litter. An advantage of dealing with RDO is they are a full service facility and can do any and all repairs.

Jack will say to budget 8-10k for repairs.  A nasty issue that will crop up is the Injector harness, most of us have had to deal with it.

RDO will have the service records and have a pretty thorough inspection procedure before turning it over to the next purchaser.

I could add more but would rather not ramble on.

Thanks for the info, what stage I'm at is a great question? I feel ready to pull the trigger on a truck if I find the right one. Then will have to do the conversion.

as for the trailer, I will be heading down to Kansas to go see the spacecraft facility to see their builds, and decide from their if it's a spacecraft or Drv.

While you are in MO/Kansas area you should check out RVH who builds RV HDT's in Kansas. They can single and convert (2 different activities) your HDT or source one for you, build beds and boxes, etc. 

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

You might take a look at my website. The link is in my signature line. It will give you some general info on HDTs. Also look at the Q&A at the top of this forum topics list. 

If looking to optimize gearing then you might want to look at an XE package on the truck. That will optimize you for 65mph+ in 12th. You will be pulling about 1150 rpm at 65-67. With an RV you should have no trouble with the torque curve, but it does require faster speeds (65 minimum) for 12th gear. It depends on where and how you drive. There are too many nuances that go into it for a "single" answer, but that is a good start.

The single most important question is budget. That is going to define what model years are possible, and thus define many of the features. Feel free to contact me via email if you like. You can find it on my website.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You are in Canada and there is a process you have to follow.  If you don't you will be in a world of hurt.  It has happened at least once before so hear me on this.  If you've done this before then no problem..

If imported from the US, the truck has to have a letter of compliance, also appropriate stickers on the door posts.  Do not do ANY modifications to the vehicle before having it inspected and passed by  Registrar of Imported Vehicles.  When you bring it thru the border you will pay a tax to Customs they will give you a form which will be sent of and after that you will get a notice to take it to an inspection facility.  You may be provided with a list in your area.

Once that has passed you need a Provincial Inspection.

After these are completed, then and only then can you do modifications.

Maybe pull the commercial 5th wheel plate but no more.

You have to give US Customs 2-3 or 4 days to check out the Vin#, so they need to be called in advance before leaving the US.

RDO in Fargo will provide a letter of transit, you may still need insurance from your insurer in Canada....I'm kind of blurry on this point.

Make sure you are able to get it insured in your province .

Re conversions, they are technical so don't be penny wise and pound foolish trying to save  money here and there and wind up with a lousy job and that has happened a lot.

A number of us have purchased from RDO in Fargo.  One thing you will need to be conscious of is remaining tire tread.  You need to have at least 50% to pass Canadian inspection.  Mine were 50% so I had John Stearn replace them with a couple of Michellin steers at his cost. 

If you purchase the truck, RDO and do a lot of the replacement of components before you take it home.  A number of these things are easier to deal with before a deck goes on.

I'll say it again, get the injector harness replaced before it becomes a problem.

Herrin Welding in Texas comes highly recommended by many for the deck.

The trailer will be less of a problem because of no motor.

This whole process is not difficult but you absolutely need to have your ducks in a row.  It is a different world when dealing with Canadian rules from the US.

Roger

As a Canadian, listen very carefully to Roger. I know of 3 people who have tried to import modified vehicles, only to be refused at the border. It does shrink the available pool considerably, shopping for a ready to run unit, but a factory original truck is easy enough to import. Read everything here, and make sure you are aware of all the requirements. You will also need to know what the registration requirements of your province are. No point buying something, only to find out you can't get plates for it, or get a drivers' licence to pilot it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

In addition to your own research you will do at https://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx

And the points Roger and Darryl have made around compliance and modifications 

Recommend you consult a broker who is familiar with importing trucks so you understand the requirements of both Canada and your province / territory 

It can be done & knowledge pays...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Why import the truck. Canadian trucks are far cheaper than US trucks. There are some true bargains up there. For example - and it is only one example - take a look at THIS ONE.  I'm not advocating this particular truck...just making the point.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Yes I am looking in Canada, I'm only looking in the US at Spacecraft.

we are looking at there 44' semi fifth wheel. 

What wheel base do you suggest we stick with in order to put a smart on the back? As well what is the highest rear gear ratio should we consider? The 2.67 seems rare.

You will find the 2.67 mostly in XE models. Wheelbase is irrelevant if you are singling since you can position the axle where you want/need it - generally at 236". If staying tandem then again, it does not really matter.....most are in the 230-239" range. Some vary a little (this is for 730/780) but this is the most common range. For a 44' Semi you could do single, but you are pushing the limits and have to be careful in specing both the tractor and trailer. We are currently working on a singled version of this setup. It requires the 23K axle changes on a used truck or ordering the 23K axle on the new truck. I don't know the axle ramifications in CND. Better be very, very sure that you can run such a rig there, if singling to 23K.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Ah I see, i thought a shorter wheel base meant the truck frame was also shorter. Meaning less room to put the car on it.

so that will actually give me more choice in the selection.

Marsha mentioned that the pin weight would be between 8-9,000lbs so a regular 20,000lbs axel should be sufficient even with the weight of the car added.

Sbourbon, Jack is right about buying a Canadian truck.

The link he posted is a link I sent him just this past week.

I have helped lots of fellows in your shoes move up to a Volvo HDT.

There is no need to start out looking in the USA for what you need / want.

Let me know if you want some help...

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

I may have mislead folks, when saying I was looking in the US. I am only looking at spacecraft semi fifth wheels in th US.

their seems to be a lot of selection here in Canada for Volvo 780 trucks.

Where do you normally look? Kijiji, Auto trader? And dealers?

You would be wise to let Rick help you in your search. It takes experience to find a good truck. Or luck. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

Ah I see, i thought a shorter wheel base meant the truck frame was also shorter. Meaning less room to put the car on it.

It does!  So does the length of the sleeper.  Are you considering the weight of the deck for the car?  The weight of the car itself?  If the frame is lengthened aft of the axle, you will also need to calculate the weight the pin leverage puts on the rear axle, not just the pin weight.  I suggest you slow down and do a complete design layout before shopping for a truck.  If you private message me your e-mail, I'll send you an example.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

The selection of trucks available out of the US is far greater.  I'd recommend going with a fleet return.  With a fleet, I think the chances of having service intervals met are better.  MPG is a big deal with a fleet, you leadfoot it and mpg drops, your going to hear about it.  Also the Fleet owner doesn't want to be a truck down as it costs him money.

An owner operator may or may not do all the service when needed.  Certainly ask for Service records, provided you know what to look for.

I wouldn't buy a truck with 972k on it and now seeing a number of items replaced which to this point I haven't on mine with 543k miles.

I have no regrets about going with RDO in Fargo.

You have plenty of good truck advice but I am curious, you go from Spacecraft to DRV. What happened to New Horizon? I would put them up there with Spacecraft. While I personally think DRV is a fine trailer if you can budget a Spacecraft then you might as well look at New Horizon. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Really we are more inline with the spacecraft. Just had many people say Drv was of good quality. However at this time I don't believe there is any real comparables to Spacecraft semi-trailers since Continental coach is not manufacturing for the private sector.

i think New Horizon would be up there or even better then Drv (my opinion). I just wanted to see features and options from Drv.

Archived