Will be a newbie to hdt

Sbourgon

Shorter wheelbase means the truck is shorter. But it does not mean you should overlook that truck. You do not select a truck based on the wheelbase, since that can be easily modified. You select first based on the qualities of the truck - the mechanical and cosmetic condition. 

There is a spreadsheet on my website that gives layout (bed) examples. Take that as a starting point. 

Some examples....if you single a 236" wheelbase truck to 236" (mid position" you will likely extend the frame a bit....or if you get lucky it will be long enough and you will chop it down. If you buy a short truck....like a 630, then you will almost always have to extend the wheelbase for a smart deck. If you buy a 236" wb tractor and leave it tandem then you will still have to extend the wheelbase unless you use it with the commercial hitch....which you could with a Spacecraft semi. Otherwise, to mount the hitch you will place it between the frame rails, and that requires mounting behind the axle, since there is stuff in the way over the axle. 

There is more to it than that, but that gives you an idea of what is going on. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

9 hours ago, Sbourgon said:

What wheel base do you suggest we stick with in order to put a smart on the back?

You would want to have 11 feet between the back of the cab/drom to the center of the pin to carry a Smart on the back from what Gregg Shields told me. I took a tape measure to his truck and sure enough......11 feet.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I suspect that is for a typical fifthwheel, not sure if it's applicable to a spacecraft semi trailer. Pin can only stick out 6" past front of trailer. I believe giving it less clearance. But not 100% sure as still in discussion with manufacturer.

Thanks Jack, will have another look at your website for that spreadsheet.

spacecraft mentioned they have an optional hitch that resembles a traditional fifth wheel but with a much shorter throat approx 6" pass front of unit.

i was considering using the semi pin, but Marsha mentioned it would be almost impossible to put a smart car between cab and the large pin plate because of size as well as turning radius.

My 730 was a 229 wb singled mid.  No extension to the frame and I pack a new 2017 Smart.  There is loads of clearance for turning, Chad was witness to that at his place in January, in the dark, backing up, around a corner.

My hitch pin is pretty much flush with the front of the trailer.  The only time I trusted someone to give me directions.

http://www.rdotruckcenter.com/inventory/trucks/used/#vehicle-listing

Take a look, the 700's have a window in the sleeper, the 600's don't.  The sleepers on the 600's are 6" narrower and 18" shorter.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, Sbourgon said:

Hi all, I'm looking for opinions from folks who have the set up I am discussing.

we are also contemplating a semi-trailer by Spacecraft that would be 44' long, has anyone had issues when pulling a longer trailer in the states that only allow 65' total length? Truck and trailer together.

I think there is allot to be said about being 75' with a HDT vs. 65' with a pick up. The HDT is much much safer.

I'm only guessing but I'd suggest the DOT people know this are leaving a good thing alone.

The 65' rule probably came about years ago when a 1 ton would only carry 1 ton.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

With a 44' trailer and IF your trailer pin is in the  same relative location as mine which is pretty near flush with the front of the trailer, and if the truck is the same size and set up like mine.you will be 70' long as I am 66.

Also measure the length of the trailer without the ladder, that could be just under a foot in length.  That can buy you some reduction in length.

It depends on how the trailer is measured.

2 hours ago, rdickinson said:

My 730 was a 229 wb singled mid.  No extension to the frame and I pack a new 2017 Smart.  There is loads of clearance for turning, Chad was witness to that at his place in January, in the dark, backing up, around a corner.

My hitch pin is pretty much flush with the front of the trailer.  The only time I trusted someone to give me directions.

http://www.rdotruckcenter.com/inventory/trucks/used/#vehicle-listing

Take a look, the 700's have a window in the sleeper, the 600's don't.  The sleepers on the 600's are 6" narrower and 18" shorter.

You did a good job of jockeying your rig around my place.  It'll be a little easier the next time.  I just widened up the driveway and turn around. ;)

My short wheelbase (192") truck makes maneuvers a little easier, but I can't fit a Smart.  My new, longer trailer though made me break down and widen things up (that and the fact I've had several visits from "long" rigs).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It was the rock just above ground level closest to the house that complicated things.  I cut it as wide as possible.  Having the underbelly or ditch lites helped.

What about renting a rock crusher to break up all that rock and selling it??

Not sure of my routing south in November.  Hopefully I won't leave my credit card behind.

I'm hijacking this thread, can you chime in on my Dymo heat shrink and tape topic please??

Thanks

12 hours ago, Sbourgon said:

Thanks Jack, will have another look at your website for that spreadsheet.

spacecraft mentioned they have an optional hitch that resembles a traditional fifth wheel but with a much shorter throat approx 6" pass front of unit.

i was considering using the semi pin, but Marsha mentioned it would be almost impossible to put a smart car between cab and the large pin plate because of size as well as turning radius.

You are correct. The kingpin on the "normal" semi trailer is about 3' back. That is feet. The modified kingpin is about a foot back. There is also a potential for a traditional pinbox on the semi, but you then ripple changes back into the chassis causing more interior step space than the normal 4" in the semi.  

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived