Classes of 2008 and 2009

Sandie, My gosh girl!!!! What an ordeal! But it sounds like it could really have been worse. At least you can still hitch up and close the tailgate. Just be careful going out to "Q". Once you get there just relax and let the nerves get back on track! We will be thinking about you.

Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure it's a story I want to tell. But here goes. We hitched up to pull out this morning. Pulled around the corner and Jim wanted to check the brake line. Got back in and decided that he'd drive slowly through the park to adjust the new brakes. We made the next turn and hear this thump. Hitch came undone and dropped the fiver on the truck bed. Now - it could have been a whole lot worse than it is. We could have been going down the highway. And because the generator rides underneath the hitch the fiver dropped mainly on the generator instead of the truck. We need to replace our tail gate but it still closes. The sides of the truck bed are fine. But the generator was destroyed. Broke the gas tank and we had gas running everywhere on the road. Jim was eventually able to get the fiver hitched up again and back we went to our site. Jim had to clean up the gas and suction out the gas that was still in the generator. Really smelled bad out here for awhile and I warned everybody not to light a match. Then he went on a search for a new generator. Many hours later we finally found at Cabela's clear over in Glendale.

So now the plan is (yea right!) is to hitch up in the morning and head to Q. But first we have to make sure the new generator will fit around the hitch. It's a little bit taller than the old one so we don't know for sure. It got dark before we could check it out tonight.

And that's my exciting news.

Oh yes, it could have been a whole lot worse. I know that sometimes I get annoyed at Doug at all his checking this and checking that. I won't anymore. So glad you are safe and sorry about another expense.

JERI - we may grind your beans but we won't drink your coffee. We don't drink coffee.

Soon, very soon.

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png

So, Sandie... does the "rest of the story" include a new check-list item, so you both *know* the hitch is secure?!?

We had a 5'er for many years, pulled with the old Dodge PU, never had the problem, 'cuz we had a visual and mechanical locking-handle that could not be in place unless the hitch bar was closed. Now, with the air-hitch, the hitch/release bar only moves from 8 (locked) to 9 (pre-hookup, loose), to 10 (open) --- BUT there is a "sight window" that only becomes visible if the hitch bar is fully/properly closed. The first year we had the new rig, I didn't fully realize the relationship (re. the sight window), one day needed to move the rig a couple sites over from the current site, took a "short cut" (by NOT installing the safety "loop/key-ring" thru the sight window), assumed the jaws were locked (observing they were "closed" around the hitch pin), pulled away from the 5'er, watched it come crashing down on the hitch -- made a $700 gash in the trailer's fiberglas, front cap,,, luckily, no damage to truck or hitch. BTDT -- as many others have, also!

-Don

p.s. Been offline several weeks, just read Terry's good news -- glad things are going well for Jeri & Terry!

p.p.s. Will be in N. Calif the next several weeks, then off to Q last week of Jan; hope to catch up with you there (or later, in Mesa).

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

Dang Jim, I bet that was exciteing for a while. Hope you have all the bad luck out of your system now.

For the members with a diesel motor home here is a good link to a video on how to use the coaches air system to air up your tires.

If anyone in our group has encountered the situation when using our on-board air supply to inflate the RV tires and has had issues of not getting enough pressure from the air compressor to actually inflate the tires.... this short video clip from the "RV Geeks" has a wonderful explanation and solution so you don't ever run into this problem again. I highly recommend taking the time to watch it. It certainly cleared things up for me.

How to Inflate Your Tires using your RV’s Air Compressor

Steve Becker

'08 Gold, #74703

P.S. There are many good "How To" video clips at the RV Geeks web-site on an array of subjects.

Jerry

http://www.toadswildadventures.blogspot.com/

Just travelin' down life's highway-toot-toot!

IYQ has left the Slabs. So has Elvis. Well I'm sitting in Holtville tonight. I drove around the LTVA and 14 day BLM this afternoon to get aquainted. The Hot baths are over rated. A small fenced in area about 30 by 40 feet contains two hot tubs and the shower. The cooler tub is only about 6 by 8 feet and the warmer one is only about 12 by 12 feet. The shower is a pipe about 4 feet long that has a lot of holes drilled in it and the natural pressure of the water shoots the streams in an arc, out about 10 feet from the pipe. I'll try them out tomorrow if I can get in there. Today there were too many people to even bother trying to get in. Because I can use the LTVA pass at any LTVA I'll be coming up to Q just as soon a Jeri post the coordinates to where they are going to set up. I'm for setting up in our own area and just going to visit the 2007 bunch when an activity is scheduled. That way I get more spaghetti when Sandy gets there. I might even con some out of Jeri or at least be able to work on her cranberry juice supply. Smack Schmack Yum Yum

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

IYQ has left the Slabs. So has Elvis. Well I'm sitting in Holtville tonight. I drove around the LTVA and 14 day BLM this afternoon to get aquainted. The Hot baths are over rated. A small fenced in area about 30 by 40 feet contains two hot tubs and the shower. The cooler tub is only about 6 by 8 feet and the warmer one is only about 12 by 12 feet. The shower is a pipe about 4 feet long that has a lot of holes drilled in it and the natural pressure of the water shoots the streams in an arc, out about 10 feet from the pipe. I'll try them out tomorrow if I can get in there. Today there were too many people to even bother trying to get in. Because I can use the LTVA pass at any LTVA I'll be coming up to Q just as soon a Jeri post the coordinates to where they are going to set up. I'm for setting up in our own area and just going to visit the 2007 bunch when an activity is scheduled. That way I get more spaghetti when Sandy gets there. I might even con some out of Jeri or at least be able to work on her cranberry juice supply. Smack Schmack Yum Yum

Actually, I really liked the hot tubs there. I think because it gave us an opportunity to really soak and it felt oh so nice. However, it wasn't really packed when we were there except for our group.

Here you go. Sandie and I rode around the BLM today. This is where she is parked and we're moving next to her in the morning. Denise is parked there too blocking the other side of the already built campfire area.

Latitude 33.61757

Longitude -114.20592

There are several places to turn off the main road to the left as you enter. One is by the Art and Jan sign before you get to the dump. Another place to turn is by the dump line sign. We'll post a picture of this on our class map page in the next day or two. Either way if any of you arrive and can't find us .. send us a text and we'll find you. I think you all have our ##'s.

We've been carrying the leftover yellow ribbons from last year so have plenty to pass out. We'll be the "yellow" group.

I'm not sure where the other group is going to park. Sandie and I talked about it a bit today. We think they really wanted to pick their own site. However, since we are already here we didn't want to set up and then change it in a couple days when they decide where they want us to be.

post-7077-0-17429900-1325213474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wanderin'

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

http://blog.willywagon.net

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers from everybody.

We are in Quartzsite and when we finally got on the road today it really was an uneventful trip. Thank goodness. I am just going to chill and do nothing. Jim will find something to putter with or Jerry and he will just get in trouble. Coming back tonight in the dark after dinner with Jeri & Terry, we turned left at the sign (see Jeri's post). Right across the road from this sign on the right side is a sign that says - line starts here for dump. Follow that road through two small washes and then turn left by the Bounder. (Hopefully he'll still be parked there cause he's my guide as to where to turn left.) We're just a little further down the road on the left. We have a Montana fifth wheel with Montana license plates. Denise has a motorhome toyhauler (can't remember the make) and a Harley. Jeri & Terry will have their Monaco, their trailer with the ATVs, and a screen room (I think). With lots of yellow all around so we shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sure am looking forward to seeing everybody who can make it.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

We went out this evening for a good steak dinner to celebrate being married 45 years. One advantage of getting married when we were still kids is we still have enough teeth to eat that steak. Yet it's hard to believe that Dave and I have now known each other for 47 years, two months, and 22 days. It seems to have just flown by.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We went out this evening for a good steak dinner to celebrate being married 45 years. One advantage of getting married when we were still kids is we still have enough teeth to eat that steak. Yet it's hard to believe that Dave and I have now known each other for 47 years, two months, and 22 days. It seems to have just flown by.

Linda Sand

Happy Anniversary to you, Happy Anniversary to you. Here's hoping you have 45 more wonderful years of married life ahead of you. Well, at least a lot of years left! :D I also hope it was a good steak! Finding a restaurant anymore that knows how to pick a good steak and then cook it like you want it, is difficult.

Happy Anniversary.

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers from everybody.

We are in Quartzsite and when we finally got on the road today it really was an uneventful trip. Thank goodness. I am just going to chill and do nothing. Jim will find something to putter with or Jerry and he will just get in trouble. Coming back tonight in the dark after dinner with Jeri & Terry, we turned left at the sign (see Jeri's post). Right across the road from this sign on the right side is a sign that says - line starts here for dump. Follow that road through two small washes and then turn left by the Bounder. (Hopefully he'll still be parked there cause he's my guide as to where to turn left.) We're just a little further down the road on the left. We have a Montana fifth wheel with Montana license plates. Denise has a motorhome toyhauler (can't remember the make) and a Harley. Jeri & Terry will have their Monaco, their trailer with the ATVs, and a screen room (I think). With lots of yellow all around so we shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sure am looking forward to seeing everybody who can make it.

So glad you made it!

We have written down all the directions and the co-ordinates.

We also feel that we should have our own place and "commute" to the party site. Walking distance would be nice though.

Soon, very, very soon.

PS Doug scored a compressor and we can share if the need be.

Doug and Toni Laird

2014 Nissan Versa

event.png

Linda Sand

Happy Anniversary you guys. Jim and I are just 20 years behind you.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

Linda Sand

Happy Anniversary Linda and Dave!:lol:

Doug and Toni Laird

2014 Nissan Versa

event.png

Happy Happy day Dave and Linda, Many more.

Thanks Jeri, I'll hook this thing up in the morning and head that way. It would help if you would start cooking spaghetti so I can follow the aroma and get out the Cranberry juice to revive me when I get there. You know I'll be driving across a lot of desert and will need to quench my thirst when I get there.

I went back over to the hot bathes again today and there were only 6 people in the place, I didn't go in because there is no place to sit down except in the water and 105 degrees is a little too hot to sit in continuously. I would also have problems walking from the bathrooms to the pool after changing. I don't do well in flip flops. If I come back here I'll get another plastic can, I can carry water in, and take some hot water back to my rig to soak my hands and wrist in. Any way I'll see you all tomorrow but not very early because I'll be taking my time getting ready to go again.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Happy Happy day Dave and Linda, Many more.

Thanks Jeri, I'll hook this thing up in the morning and head that way. It would help if you would start cooking spaghetti so I can follow the aroma and get out the Cranberry juice to revive me when I get there. You know I'll be driving across a lot of desert and will need to quench my thirst when I get there.

I went back over to the hot bathes again today and there were only 6 people in the place, I didn't go in because there is no place to sit down except in the water and 105 degrees is a little too hot to sit in continuously. I would also have problems walking from the bathrooms to the pool after changing. I don't do well in flip flops. If I come back here I'll get another plastic can, I can carry water in, and take some hot water back to my rig to soak my hands and wrist in. Any way I'll see you all tomorrow but not very early because I'll be taking my time getting ready to go again.

We'll be ready for you!!

We noticed last year that people were collecting the hot water and taking it back. What a nice feature to have at a BLM!! Hot showers and hot water for free.

See you tomorrow.

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

Happy Anniversary to you, Happy Anniversary to you. Here's hoping you have 45 more wonderful years of married life ahead of you. Well, at least a lot of years left! :D I also hope it was a good steak! Finding a restaurant anymore that knows how to pick a good steak and then cook it like you want it, is difficult.

Happy Anniversary.

One advantage of being back here at this time of year is knowing where to go and what to order to get a fabulous meal. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Plan to leave for Q in the morning if all goes well. Will take a couple of weeks to get there, will be staying 3 or4 days each at The Ranch, Dreamcatchers, and Roovers Roost. Should be in Q the 14th for the big gathering. Hope everyone is having fun.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Freddy and Delcie

Freddy & Delcie Prather

Echo- Yorkie
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Jake Brake #5000 Air Bags
2005 Mobile Suites 36RE3
Full Time Since Oct 1st 2009

CHANGES ... CHANGES

IYQ arrived today and couldn't find us. Since Sandie and I looked at so many different places, I'm not sure which one was posted but it didn't work. He would have been parked on top of someone else.

Here is a corrected one where I am actually sitting at this minute so you don't want to get too close. I think IYQ will send you one where he was sitting earlier.

N 33.61757

W 114.20592 (or -114.20592)

That's it so now see if you can find us. If not, give us a call and we'll try to find you. :)

Edited by Wanderin'

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

The only reason Jeri posted the wrong coordinate is to try and keep me from drinking all her cranberry Juice. She thought I'd get lost out there in the boondocks but I copied Sandies directions and found them anyway. I haven't found her cranberry juice yet but I sure hit the jackpot with Sandie's spaghetti. Bring more cranberry juicy. I'm going to drink up all of Jeri's when I find it.

The only reason Jeri posted the wrong coordinate is to try and keep me from drinking all her cranberry Juice. She thought I'd get lost out there in the boondocks but I copied Sandies directions and found them anyway. I haven't found her cranberry juice yet but I sure hit the jackpot with Sandie's spaghetti. Bring more cranberry juicy. I'm going to drink up all of Jeri's when I find it.

Guess who arrived and guess what he's eating that Sandie made. :P

post-7077-0-36448600-1325384637_thumb.jpg

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

Guess who arrived and guess what he's eating that Sandie made. :P

Sitting in the middle of the desert, eating spaghetti. Something wrong there.

HEY - HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS.

Doug and Toni Laird

2014 Nissan Versa

event.png

Well, we made it to the outskirts of LA today. The Elks club was full, but they had a large overflow lot and we could park here and still use the dump and water. We are going to Santa Anita racetrack in the morning to see our niece work out her race horses. She has been a trainer for years, and we have never been in her play pen! :lol: We have to be there at 0630, so that is not good, but we can recuperate after! Maybe? Then we will go to a performance of her blues band on Monday night. It was a quick exit from San Francisco, but you have to get to these things if you can. We have never been very close to her because she always lived in Seattle and we lived in Oklahoma. This is one of the advantages of this lifestyle, being able to do this means sooo much. :D

We drove "up" the grapevine today. You have all the preconceived notions of roads and this was one of them. I always heard the stories of trucks burning the brakes out going down the grapevine. Well we drove up it today, and it was not that big a hill after driving through Colorado numerous times. It was a busy hill, and long, but not too steep. Quite a different looking terrain with all the small bumpy hills, but except for the crazy drivers, it was a piece of cake. Well, got to pull a "Steve" and get ready for the rude awakening in the morning. Happy New Year everyone! :D Steve

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Well, we made it to the outskirts of LA today. The Elks club was full, but they had a large overflow lot and we could park here and still use the dump and water. We are going to Santa Anita racetrack in the morning to see our niece work out her race horses. She has been a trainer for years, and we have never been in her play pen! :lol: We have to be there at 0630, so that is not good, but we can recuperate after! Maybe? Then we will go to a performance of her blues band on Monday night. It was a quick exit from San Francisco, but you have to get to these things if you can. We have never been very close to her because she always lived in Seattle and we lived in Oklahoma. This is one of the advantages of this lifestyle, being able to do this means sooo much. :D

We drove "up" the grapevine today. You have all the preconceived notions of roads and this was one of them. I always heard the stories of trucks burning the brakes out going down the grapevine. Well we drove up it today, and it was not that big a hill after driving through Colorado numerous times. It was a busy hill, and long, but not too steep. Quite a different looking terrain with all the small bumpy hills, but except for the crazy drivers, it was a piece of cake. Well, got to pull a "Steve" and get ready for the rude awakening in the morning. Happy New Year everyone! :D Steve

Your ears must have been burning and your nose itching. We've been thinking of you and wondering when we'd see the whites of your eyes!!!

We MUCH prefer the Grapevine to Tehachapi too but think we aren't in the majority. We have lots of space for you but you have to get here first!!

Edited by Wanderin'

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

Happy New year to all

I got up early so I would be first to post on the new year.

We are looking at mid-Feb. at the earliest to get to "Q" if then. Next year is in jell-o for Nov. in "Q". Some day

God bless

c u soon

Glyn

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com