CLASS OF 2007 follow along with us.

JoeandMarcia

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow what a once in lifetime opportunity we had this week. :unsure: This was the week that the new juvinile (captive breed) Mississippi Sandhill cranes were released here at the refuge.This is not something that the public would ever get to see happen. Ron & I were permitted to go along with the biology staff to witness the event. I was actually permitted to band one of the birds before it was released. :lol:;)

As if that wasn't cool enough something happened that even the head biologist had never seen. A pair of adult cranes actually came into the release pen (it has no roof) while we were still there. These wild, critically endangered birds are of course very afraid of humans and like all wildbirds spook at the drop of a hat.

They look just like the migratory cranes that you will see in other parts of the country but these are a none migratory species and they have only been able to increase the population from 30 in the late 70's to about 120 today.

So if any of you ever wonder why we volunteer......this would be it!! :D:D

Every one enjoy their travels...

Trisha..if you drive over the mountain and land in Ridgecrest, CA wave hello to the front gate of the military base...Ron & I were stationed there in the mid 70's and we are hoping to go back for a visit one day. We loved Death Valley when we lived there. Take a run up US395 to Manzanar NHP...it is a sobering reminder of WWII and the lives of our Japanese citizens.

Hugs All

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Bull Head City to fill up the gas tanks, ($2.25 for reg here).

Joe, It's good to hear that the fuel is about .20 cheaper there than here, especially since we are headed for Arizona in a week or so.

Linda and Ron, still coming your way; just a week later than we planned. Since in Georgia, but will be down your way by the end of next week. We still plan to come by the refuge to see you and some cranes.

Norah & Howie

We're sitting at Rainbow Plantation until Thursday morning when we'll make the long ;) drive to Biloxi for 2 days. Then it's all points west to Benson, Arizona. We may decided to make a couple of stops in Texas along the way. We would love to see some 07ers as we travel west, so let us know where you are.

Hugs,

Norah & Howie

We've hit one of those "bumps in the road". Cathy's mom was admitted to the hospital with major pain and will need some help. Cathy is flying home from Kansas City for two weeks to tend to this. We're sure it's not a major item but surely a fore taste of what's to come as the parents age.

Onward and Upward.

Leland & Cathy

Leland & Cathy...Hugs to both of you. We moved my Mom to a nursing home last week and I keep waiting for the call that I need to go there.

Howie & Norah....can't wait to see you. Can't promise a crane will appear but ya never know!!!!

Our fellow volunteers have arrived and they are fellow Escapees. We have already had a campfire and a meal together...so it looks like a sociable couple months ahead.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Then it's all points west to Benson, Arizona. We may decided to make a couple of stops in Texas along the way. We would love to see some 07ers as we travel west, so let us know where you are.

Hugs,

Norah & Howie

Not sure you'll swing this far south on your way through Texas, but just in case, we're in Weslaco. Is anyone else down here in the RGV yet? Low 80s and sunny :P

Leland & Cathy - hope all goes well with your mom. My mom says we're at that sandwich generation stage - between elderly parents and grandkids! Keeps us all out of trouble, I guess.

John & Lora

http://southfromalaska2.blogspot.com/

2003 Foretravel U320

2018 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Class of '07

Leland and Cathy...sorry to hear about Mom...good luck and we'll be thinking of you!

We just landed at Raccoon Valley for a few days on our way south to Myrtle Beach...just missed the Ice Cream Social tonight....

Linda...sounds like things are going well at the Refuge. Enjoy!

John and Lora and Jay and Fay...we'll be in South TX in January...hope to see you!

HUGS!

M&B

Bob and Molly

www.moonriverandwe.blogspot.com
Two drifters...off to see the world....
SKP #73997

You know, some times I just generate campfire stories by the bushel. Sunday I put my sweetie on the plane to take care of her mom. Today I decided to go "camping" instead of just waiting around for her to get back. I scouted a good place, loaded up the MH, Hitched up the car, put my keys in the ignition and locked the door.... Just after the slam I realized that the wife probably had her keys in her purse... In Montana. Yep, I'm hitched and can't unhitch till she mails me the key. Gads. At least I can travel.

I am out at a Kansas State Fishing lake outside of Baldwin City Ks. Beautiful place to watch the World Series at.

Leland & Cathy

Leland, I did almost the same thing a couple weeks ago, we got home from somewhere and I locked the car like I always do, but this time I forgot to take the keys out. Marcia's was in ot too. :mellow: After I tried a coat hanger I thought about the roadside service, Marcia called and locked up keys were covered so we just waited the 90 minuets for the guy to come out and pick the lock. It was really cool the way he did it. He took an small airbag and stuck it between the roof and the door, pumped it a few times to make a hole large enough to get a flexible rod through and push the unlock button. Did you call your roadside service?

Chasing the 70's

You can follow us using My link

I may not know what town I will be sleeping in,

But I know I'll be sleeping in MY bed.

Howdy!

Leland, Joe and others that may have locked their keys inside the vehicle. One option is if your vehicle has automatic door opener you can call you spouse our another which may have another device. While talking to them on the cellular phone next to the vehicle your locked out of have them activate the remove over the phone. This should open the vehicle door. Learned this little trick helping out all those folks that locked them self out at all the events I worked during my LEO days. Thats basicly how Onstar does it I've been told.

Of course this will not work if you don't have cellular service.

"Happy Trails"

chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Sorry to hear about Cathy's mom. We hope all goes well.

We had a dummy key made. One with no chip so it will not start the engine but will turn on the accessories switch, release the steering wheel and power the brake buddy.

Safe Travels

Jim and Nancy Tidball

2004 Dutch Star 4025

2006 Honda CRV

http://runningdownourdream.blogspot.com

We had a dummy key made. One with no chip so it will not start the engine but will turn on the accessories switch, release the steering wheel and power the brake buddy.

Safe Travels

Update: The road service sent a guy who got me unlocked. No extra charge. He was a little bit stymied because his plan was to hit the electric lock button but with the vehicle in "dead" mode for towing that doesn't work His next plan was to pull the handle on the inside. This doesn't work either as the handle just pushes the electric lock - see above. He was pulling his hair when he pulled out this little bag of wires (professionl coat hangers) I picked up one while he was scratching and pulled up the knob. Game over.

I went to two hardware stores to get a "dummy key" made and they don't even have a blank that will work. Must got to Chevy. I'll do that. In the mean time I'm thinking of tying a strin around the pull up knob and taping it to the inside of the door where I can get it in an emergency but where it won't show. I'll let you know how that works.

Greg, All I can say is "at least you are a key person". :rolleyes:

Joe, they used the little air bag thingy. Cute trick.

On the Mother in law scene, no improvement but they are getting more and more info. At the moment the guess is"pinched nerve" but that's not my guess. Say a little prayer. :(:(

Leland & Cathy

Maybe we loners have something to teach to the more traditionals. Get one of those little magnetic boxes (two if you have a trailer or toad) and put your key copies in them on the undercarriage.

I'm off to Benson tomorrow for a week, then will do the winter in Tucson, Yuma, Salton Sea, and Q. Pretty much within reach if there's a gathering or happening this winter. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you along the way!

2007 Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Green)

Whoa Greg now THAT could be an interesting campfire story :lol:

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

We are moving from Harrison, AR to Branson, MO tomorrow to go to the Lakeside RV Park for a SMART Chapter Muster/Rally. We will be there until the 12th when we return to Harrison & the grandson, Beckett.

Cathy, good luck with your Mom & safe travels. Leland, good luck with staying out of trouble & being on your own until Cathy gets back! ;-) Did you have 2 "dummy" keys made just in case? You could always put one in your wallet... just an idea. You can never have too many contingency plans... sometimes called backup backup plans. ;-)

Linda good luck with your Mom & her new living arrangements.

Everybody travel safe, watch the weather & keep your spare/dummy keys handy. ;-)

Oh yes, don't forget to have fun, enjoy the scenery & stop to smell the "roses".

Patti & Hank Landry

Molly & Scooter- Boston Terriers

2009 Phaeton

toad: 07 Silver Toyota

landrypatti@yahoo.com

http://woodalls.mytripjournal.com/HankandPatti

Location: Paradise South, Mercedes, Tx for the winter of 2010

Glad to hear that the key problem was resolved; we have made notes on all the great solutions, so that we will be prepared when it happens to us too. :unsure:

Marty, your winter plans sound much like ours--bumming around the deserts Jan - Feb; looking forward to some campfires, happy hours, and potlucks :huh:

Again our plans have changed just a bit. We will move on to Biloxi tomorrow with a stop at the Crane Refuge to see Ron and Linda at work. Then on Saturday we'll make a bee-line for the RGV spending a week before heading westward to Benson until it's time to make the trek to S. California and Christmas with the kids and g-kids.

Hugs,

Howie and Norah

Norah - I never understood that phrase "bee-line" Everytime I ever watched a bee, they just wandered around from flower to flower yet some folks use it to mean a straight line?? I'm confused. (Of course that's a normal state for me)

Hank, the one time years ago when I had an extra key in my wallet, I stopped along a country road to improve the greenery and automatically locked the car door. You bet, my wallet was too fat and I had taken it out of my pocket and laid it up on top of the dash. Is there a backup backup backup plan out there? I think I'll just leave the darn thing unlocked.

Leland & Cathy

Norah we can't wait to see you!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Norah - I never understood that phrase "bee-line" Everytime I ever watched a bee, they just wandered around from flower to flower yet some folks use it to mean a straight line?? I'm confused. (Of course that's a normal state for me)

Well, if you could looked at the way we've traveled over the last few years you would understand. There is nothing about a straight line from anywhere we've been to anywhere we're going. ;)

Norah

Archived