Traveling to Mesa Verde, etc.

starsite

Hi Folks, We will be heading to Mesa Verde, Sedona, Arches and other points.  From Mesa Verde will be heading to Albuquerque. Trailering a 27-foot with a Silverado Diesel. We would like to know how the roads are out there for travel/trailering? Any roads to avoid? Thank you!

Sedona to Arches to Mesa Verde to Albuquerque?  That covers a lot of roads.  I used to tow a 34' fifth wheel with a Geo Tracker behind it through all that country you're talking about with no problems.  I towed with Chevy Duramax.

While you're in the area, might as well go to Silverton, Durango, Wolf Creek Pass, etc.  Your rig will breeze through those places.

1 hour ago, starsite said:

Trailering a 27-foot with a Silverado Diesel.

Which Diesel? We have traveled in all those areas several times towing a 34' travel trailer with a 3500 Silverado with the larger Diesel engine. There are some roads like the road through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona that are not very good choices for long wider rigs. I suggest you get a copy of the mountain directory if you do not already have one. It gives good descriptions of the grades on many roads.

I agree seems like an odd trip plan, zing-zagging around.  Maybe look at a map and plan a more direct route. Roads are generally good but in that section of the country expect steep grades.

Reserve Mesa Verde tours online well ahead of arrival or you will be disappointed. Arches will be very crowded and hotter than Hades. Get there as early  as you can to avoid the heat and take twice as much water as you think you need. They lock the gates at Arches when the max number passes thru.

Thank you for your service.  Total of five weeks. Leaving from SC then heading to Missouri for the eclipse. After Missouri, onto Hot Springs, AR for a few days then to: Monument Valley > Sedona > Petrified Forest NP > Arches > Mesa Verde NP > then heading home. The trip is already baked regarding reservations for camping and any of the national parks that needed reservations such as Arches entry.

4 minutes ago, starsite said:

After Missouri, onto Hot Springs, AR for a few days then to: Monument Valley > Sedona > Petrified Forest NP > Arches > Mesa Verde NP > then heading home. The trip is already baked regarding reservations for camping and any of the national parks that needed reservations such as Arches entry.

A more sensible route would be Pet Forest->Sedona->Monument Valley->Mesa Verde->Arches

Please give your starting point and exactly what parks/areas you plan to stop... ending where?   Then we would be able to give you a good route.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In your given order here is the route you'd take and you won't have any issues on any of the roads. I-40 can be rough but it's the best way for you to go. :

Hot Springs, AR to Monument Valley:

I-40 west to Gallup, NM then 264/191/163 to Monument Valley

To Sedona:  Backtrack to Gallup, NM then I-40 west and south on I-17 to 179 into Sedona.  (You could stay on I-40 and pick up 89A into Sedona but you should read about it first.  It would be a steep, curvy downhill but very doable with your RV. We've done it with our 40' MH)

Sedona to Petrified Forest - back on I-40 east to Holbrook. Take 180 south a short distance to the Petrified Forest Gift Shop (could spend an overnight here and tour the NP Rd with your truck & return to the RV.  Travel the road fully and it will take you to the end at I-40 again. There are places on the park road to explore.

To Arches: East on I-40 to 191 north

To Mesa Verde NP - 191 south to 491 to CO 160

Mesa Verde to Albuquerque - 160 east to Durango (worth a stop and even a drive up to Silverton in your truck which is awesome!  (We've boondocked up there a lot with our 40' MH).  You could even pre-arrange for the Durango to Silverton train for a day excursion.  From Durango take 550 to Albuquerque.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

@2gypsies I can't thank you enough for doing this. My husband and I have been RVing since 2003 but this is our first trip out to the West with a trailer. While I have a Garmin RV890 and I've studied topography maps, I am never fully confident. It's just the way I am. : ) I always like to have a back-up plan and not rely solely on technology. With you sharing your years of experience and having traveled these roads, well, it has taken a load off of my shoulders. I've already printed it out and will use it as we explore the west. Thank you also for the tips on some of the sites to see. 

From Monument Valley south you'd take 163/160 to Tuba City then 89 south to Flagstaff..... good roads.

From Flagstaff you have a choice of 89A to Sedona which is a steep 2-lane downhill with curves or I-17 south to 179 into Sedona.  You're still going to have a downhill from Flagstaff to 179 but it's an interstate.  If you're concerned about roads I'd recommend taking I-17.

I just did a Google and here's the description of 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona:     https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31352-i168-k12012256-89A_between_Flagstaff_and_Sedona-Sedona_Arizona.html

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

1 hour ago, starsite said:

@2gypsiesI, too, did a google concerning 89A and found valuable information. Thank you for the link. Insightful. I would love to drive it with my truck but not trailering.

Definitely drive it with your truck.  It's very nice and stop at Slide Rock State Park... there may be some swimmers in the beautiful creek.  Also, near the top of the drive is a very large pull-off and there are usually Native Americans there selling nice jewelry.  Hope you're able to do some trails out of Sedona. It's such a pretty area.... but very crowded.  Our first visit was many years ago when it wasn't really 'discovered' yet.... quite a change.

Also.... coming from Monument Valley Tuba City is a good place to buy fuel.  Usually more reasonable than Flagstaff and definitely more reasonable than Sedona.

Continuing down 89 from Tuba City on the right at Cameron immediately past the Colorado River will be the Cameron Trading Post, i believe is the name.  It is a high quality gift shop (& has less expensive ones, also) but they have a very nice restaurant.  Navajo tacos are awesome!  Nothing like the typical 'taco'.

https://camerontradingpost.com/shop.html

At that intersection is Hwy 64 which would take you to Grand Canyon Nat'l Park.  If you weren't planning to go there you could at least do a loop from there, through the park and exiting on south 64... then to Flagstaff by 64/180 or 64 to Williams & I-40.  Many canyon viewpoints to park along the upper 64.  Good road.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years