Old Goats corner, Jackalopee kit update

phoenix2013

Both Dons had great careers and Don Jr's, wife was a Broadway singer, they had a show band traveling nationwide and for years had an act on cruise ships. And guess what Don Jr. also had a certificate in culinary arts. I said "had", he passed away this morning. Retire, aha, it's the VP's job to step in and step up.

Henry so sorry to hear about your friend, I am sure stepping up from "VP" is a bit hard at this time but I am sure the work you did together will continue as least "In his honor"

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

We expect musicians and performers from Space Coast to Miami to come and honor him. We provide and organize many opportunities for those artists to show their talents.  https://www.jazzsociety.org/  We also provide thousands of dollars in scholarships to nurture the next generations of artists and performers. Scroll down on our website and note the "Jam session protocol", it's a real high to sit in with these guys. Yes, the Old Goat enjoys that opportunity now and then. Checkout the "Milestones" link further down on the site. It's the 25th anniversary edition and shows the caliber of people involved in the Society .

It's one of the best and successful 501 (c) organization around and on record and one does not mind to contribute time and effort to keep it going.  

Edited by phoenix2013

5 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

We expect musicians and performers from Space Coast to Miami to come and honor him. We provide and organize many opportunities for those artists to show their talents.  https://www.jazzsociety.org/  We also provide thousands of dollars in scholarships to nurture the next generations of artists and performers. Scroll down on our website and note the "Jam session protocol", it's a real high to sit in with these guys. Yes, the Old Goat enjoys that opportunity now and then. Checkout the "Milestones" link further down on the site. It's the 25th anniversary edition and shows the caliber of people involved in the Society .

It's one of the best and successful 501 (c) organization around and on record and one does not mind to contribute time and effort to keep it going.  

Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. Sounds like he will be missed by many. Prayers for his family and friends. 

On 2/22/2024 at 10:09 AM, phoenix2013 said:

Our condolences, Henry.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

OK, here's a test for your successful Jackalopee installers. What's wrong with this installation. Good story goes with it. The owner bought the truck with the Jackalopee already installed and couldn't get the DirecLink brake controller working. He was driving by Tuson RV Brakes and Alan Hoogenakker (DirecLink Technical support) offered to troubleshoot it for him. They sent me those pictures. I emailed them the appropriate pages from the installation manual.

A hint.              Although I shouldn't think about my customers in those terms, after all they bought the Jackalopee, this idiot never read the manual and he went with his "assumptions". What were those "assumptions"?

6trronll.jpeg 

ZO8Xbcnl.jpeg

aC1EwWJl.jpeg

Edited by phoenix2013

It appears that there are two white wires of larger gauge, one to ground and the other to brakes.  That doesn't seem logical.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hint # 1

ZQ7qpMcl.jpeg

Hint # 2

uMHNCDLl.jpeg

Obviously hint # 2 show the proper wiring of the truck side, however I suspect that if one had not seen hint # 2 (in the manual) and was only familiar with what's in hint # 1 (some of it) one might think they did a great job and things should work.

Come on guys! Put those grey matter cell to work! There is a hint # 3, but I'm going to hold off, what do you think hint # 3 is?

His red wire is on his icc markers instead of his break lights. If his direct link is also using red as his brake light sensor the 2 reds should be together. His black is on 12v (should be on icc marker)and I am guessing the black 4wire is supposed to be power for the direct link. What a mess!

Edited by Case20hp

I recently resolved an issue with my brakes from HDT to trailer.  I had posted here for some info on the Smart Brake controller as it appeared that it was no longer working but my troubleshooting endeavers were often interrupted(and I never did find much troubleshooting info for that controller) and so never really got to start with the basics.

That being said I enlisted some help and quickly discovered that there was no output to my brake wire at the receptacle on the back of my Volvo.  Did more checking(keeping in mind that the KISS principle needed to be fully engaged) and this was after replacing the Smart Brake with a DirecLink(BTW-I REALLY like the 3 different brakes control conditions available) and still no output to the pesky BLUE wire but all was good in the Jackalopee.  More troubleshooting and lo and behold the 7 conductor cable from the Jackalopee to the receptacle had a break somewhere in the BLUE wire.  After inspection could not find any where that the cable may have been damaged, so abandoned that wire and ran a new wire outside the cable and VOILA-brakes!

It was such a nice change to have those working and controlling my 42' NH 5er.

Sometimes it really is just the small things, like a broken wire or READING the instructions that are necessary.

Marcel

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Case20hp said:

His red wire is on his icc markers instead of his break lights. If his direct link is also using red as his brake light sensor the 2 reds should be together. His black is on 12v (should be on icc marker)and I am guessing the black 4wire is supposed to be power for the direct link. What a mess!

Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it !!!!!!!!!! Right on point. The hint # 3 was total misplacement and misunderstanding of the ICC MARKER black wire.

I'm guessing whoever "created" this wiring was very experienced wiring pickups and RV trailers. "I've done this many times before, don't need no stinkn' manual". In the world of pickups and RVs THE BLACK WIRE IS ALWAYS +12VDC! "I need to power the Brake Controller from the Jackalopee". Another manual "no read", where it says, "there is no power in the Jackalopee to run things". "The Brake Controller has to be powered and grounded from the semi batteries". The genius saw multiple opportunities. Aha, black wire, lets go to the +12V DIRECT, this will go to the trailer batteries and charge those, lets splice it and also go to the Brake Controller and power it. Also, there is a free ground above it for the controller, boy, my lucky day. Unfortunately, in the semis the black wire is trailer running lights, there is nothing on it unless you turn the lights on. I don't think the running lights circuit would be happy charging batteries, but no damage could be done, the instant key is turned on, the +12V DIRECT relay side is disabled. The manual says so.

Incidentally, the troubleshooting of this mess was pre-planned few days in advance, The truck owner made an arrangement with DirecLink to stop by and have Alan look/fix it. Having somewhat knowledge of what was in there, I suggested that Alan junk the "creation" and replace it with proper harnesses which I shipped to them "for the occasion". This is turning into a mini-product, just the harnesses. I have used and shipped four others already for similar situations. Jackalopee has been installed, it's a mess and we are tearing our hair out figuring it out. JUNK IT and re-harness it. One of those went to an owner who just bought the Jackalopee without the kit. The guy is really good, can find and buy anything he needs, installed the Jackalopee and ran the cables. Then he saw in the manual the pre-made harnesses. Even though he could do it, he just had to have a set. I got couple of messages, "are they gone", "did you ship them".

I'll make some pictures of just the harness set and post it later.

Edited by phoenix2013

Two other things to remember. If you plug the trailer side running lights into the ICC marker lights on the output side of the board, your "Thank you" switch on the truck will flash your trailer lights when you use it.

The other is for late model Paccar trucks. You will need to add a power diode on the 12v+ output side of the board or you will not be able to turn off your truck if the umbilical is attached. The trailer battery will back feed the ignition circuit of the truck and you can turn the truck off on the dash, remove the keys and your truck will still be running.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Two other things to remember. If you plug the trailer side running lights into the ICC marker lights on the output side of the board, your "Thank you" switch on the truck will flash your trailer lights when you use it.

The other is for late model Paccar trucks. You will need to add a power diode on the 12v+ output side of the board or you will not be able to turn off your truck if the umbilical is attached. The trailer battery will back feed the ignition circuit of the truck and you can turn the truck off on the dash, remove the keys and your truck will still be running.

Which switch on that Kenworth puts the MARKER light on, asks a Volvo guy and where is the Thank You switch?

For those who have no patience reading a 16 page manual (or know better) there is a single sheet insert with quick tips and admonishments. Third item on the list "discourages" the use of the Auxiliary Circuit, diode notwithstanding.

SHL7N87l.jpeg 

Yes, some wits have done it trying to drag the trailer with full brakes on. 

Edited by phoenix2013

The "thank you" on a Paccar is the button on the end of the turn signal switch. If you press it when the lights are on, it will turn  the ICC marker lights off as long as the button is held down. If the lights are off, it will turn the ICC marker lights on as long as the button is pushed. A two button flash means "thank you" when someone lets you move over into a lane.

The ICC marker switch will be on your upper panel with the trailer, running lights and hazard light switches.

For Volvo drivers, jerk on the appropriate rein to make your two donkeys rear up together.....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

18 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

The "thank you" on a Paccar is the button on the end of the turn signal switch. If you press it when the lights are on, it will turn  the ICC marker lights off as long as the button is held down. If the lights are off, it will turn the ICC marker lights on as long as the button is pushed. A two button flash means "thank you" when someone lets you move over into a lane.

The ICC marker switch will be on your upper panel with the trailer, running lights and hazard light switches.

For Volvo drivers, jerk on the appropriate rein to make your two donkeys rear up together.....

I've got an old Volvo (Cummins motor) with a dedicated switch on the dash for said ICC marker lights. Never owned a truck until I bought this Volvo. It came with a bed and a Smart car and two Trailer Saver hitches. Couldn't pass it up. But, I drove a truck for 30 years. The last several years of that career I drove the T680 or Freightliner Cascadia, never knew from week to week which one. I'll keep my old Volvo over either of those trucks. FWIW..😋