Why We Don't Make Reservations

rickeieio

Let me preface this with, this is not a pity party.  It's just life.

Imagine you've planned a trip, a month at a destination where the people are friendly, the motorcycling is great, and prices are decent.  All loaded up, wallet packed, number 1 sweety in the co-pilot seat, headed out the driveway, and the low oil pressure alarm goes off.  Dang.  That was late Saturday morning.  Skipping the details, the truck went to the Kenworth shop yesterday on the hook.  After much consulting, testing, holding up gifts to the heavens, etc, it's quite likely that the cam hard surface has flaked off, wiping out the bearings.

But, there's a bright side.  PACCAR knows of the issue, and did a recall on a range of serial numbered engines.  To be safe, the also extended the warranty on others to 7 yr/700k miles.  Our truck went into service 82 months ago.  So, fingers crossed that it's something simple that we missed, or covered under that warranty.  The shop foreman told me that some folks have received new reman engines for this, others just need a new cam.  Best case scenario is that we get the truck back late next week.

Now, lest you feel inclined to say that's what we get for buying a PACCAR motor, I'll just saw we had our share of dealings and expenses with the last truck with a Cummins.  Lost about 6 weeks and $20k on that motor.  Never had a minutes trouble out of the old Big Cam 350 nor the Mack E7.

Don't make your reservations too solid.  Cast them in jello.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

All that work getting ready and then BAM. Hopefully the wallet isn't unpacked too much before you head out again. Can you leave the home on wheels packed or do you have to unload it and then load back up again? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We also don't do alot of reservations ahead of time unless the places have generous cancellation policies.  I hate places that keep your entire fee if you cancel.  Take a day if the cancellation is under 7 days prior, but to take more is irritating.  Stuff happens, things break, and losing hundreds of dollars on top of it really irks me.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

That sucks Rick and we are the same on not making reservations because you just don't know what you don't know on spanners being thrown in the works so to speak.   Even high populated locations we might need a CG at we've always managed to get something with a bit of compromise when we get closer to the location we want to explore.   We also aren't adverse to not having any hook ups as long as we feel safe!

Fingers crossed the wallet can go back to collecting moths 👍

Camper is backed in the shop so won't freeze.  But now I have no way to move it out, and need to do some oil changes and other maintenance on a few vehicles.  Shop is too short to allow that with the camper inside.

Fortunately, the CG has no pre-pay for reservations, and is very easy to deal with.  I called yesterday and moved our reservation back two weeks, and agreed to let them know as soon as we can, whether or not we'll be good with those dates.  And yes, we may stay a few days in some over-flow area with no hook-ups.  No big deal.

So, we grabbed some clothes out of the camper, brought all the refrigerable and frozen stuff home, and will adjust as needed.  I left a few items in the truck that I will need, so will likely run over there tomorrow bring to get some essentials, like glasses and such.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Well Rick, as you already know, we have had to change our reservations here in Florida due to similar unforseen issues. We did have reservations but fortunately both the current and next were with TT and they were great to work with us.

Vicki said is was rough watching the old fart ride out on the hook but hopefully the mechanic at this second shop will figure things out and get us fixed and back on the road again.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

4 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Vicki said is was rough watching the old fart ride out on the hook but hopefully the mechanic at this second shop will figure things out and get us fixed and back on the road again.

I don't want to trade places with you.  Hope the new "mechanic" get's you up and running.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Camper is backed in the shop so won't freeze.  But now I have no way to move it out, and need to do some oil changes and other maintenance on a few vehicles.  Shop is too short to allow that with the camper inside.

Fortunately, the CG has no pre-pay for reservations, and is very easy to deal with.  I called yesterday and moved our reservation back two weeks, and agreed to let them know as soon as we can, whether or not we'll be good with those dates.  And yes, we may stay a few days in some over-flow area with no hook-ups.  No big deal.

So, we grabbed some clothes out of the camper, brought all the refrigerable and frozen stuff home, and will adjust as needed.  I left a few items in the truck that I will need, so will likely run over there tomorrow bring to get some essentials, like glasses and such.

You don't have a tractor with a loader? I'd think  with your tools and equipment you could fab up a connection to hook to the bucket or better yet "Fork" and pull it in and out as needed. Spacecraft and most RV dealers either use a large fork lift or a tractor and loader to move around all of the trailers. In fact, my Dad had a Storage unit for Campers and used a Four Wheel Drive little "Ford" tractor with a 3 point hitch dealybob for bumper pulls and some pretty large 5ers.  I almost had forgotten about that. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Yes, we have a loader that could do it, and I could fab up a hitch for the bucket.  But, I could borrow our old Mack for an hour and do it easier.  It's new home is only two miles from our shop.

BUT.....I talked to the grizzled old mechanic ( look who's talk'n ) who's working on our truck this morning, and he's of the opinion that it's not the cam, but the oil pump.  Way easier.  We might be rolling by late Thursday (Feb 1).  Fingers crossed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

(sigh)  Just talked to the service dep't at Kenworth, and it appears the truck is almost buttoned up.  But, the mechanic on this job is off until Monday.

Apparently, it was the oil pump, which is not considered a major component, so not covered under the extended warranty.  Total bill is about $5,700.  Of course they found several little things to fix while in there, like replacing some plastic coolant fittings with brass, $746, replace driveshaft (removed for towing), $194, initial diagnostics, $900, shop supplies, hazardous waste, etc.  

This is not a cheap game we're playing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

(sigh)  Just talked to the service dep't at Kenworth, and it appears the truck is almost buttoned up.  But, the mechanic on this job is off until Monday.

Apparently, it was the oil pump, which is not considered a major component, so not covered under the extended warranty.  Total bill is about $5,700.  Of course they found several little things to fix while in there, like replacing some plastic coolant fittings with brass, $746, replace driveshaft (removed for towing), $194, initial diagnostics, $900, shop supplies, hazardous waste, etc.  

This is not a cheap game we're playing.

Ha, wait until you have an ECM go out.  Nope, not a cheap game.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So, it's only been a 10 day delay.  Picked up the truck yesterday and loaded the tool boxes again.  All seemed fine on the drive home.  

Unfortunately, the repair was a new oil pump, which is not considered a major component, so it was an out of pocket expense, at nearly $6k.  Ouch.  At least the insurance company is not balking at paying the tow bill.

When I picked the truck up from the Kenworth dealer, the service mgr said our truck with the smart car on the deck was the talk of the shop.  He wanted to know all about how we travel and the bed design.  These things do get noticed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN