RV length ?

bryanr

My experience tells me that they are talking about Class A motorhomes.  You can offer them the length of your trailer, but DONT volunteer the total length of your rig.  If you want to know if you will have access and you have an HDT, know this, they dont think about us.  Do your own due diligence and come to your own conclusion as to access and fit.  You likely have more experience than the staff at ANY campground.

Marcel

We volunteered in public and national parks.  When they state 45' that would be their 'guesstimate' of the pad size.  Therefore, it's your trailer & tow vehicle or motorhome & towed vehicle..

Having said that..... we found that those length size of sites are not very accurate.  They are, most likely, given a number by someone driving by on the road and marking it down and quite often, by someone (a ranger) who doesn't even RV and has no idea how big rigs would fit on a site.

One gig was in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park ..... we assigned sites to incoming reservations and soon found it difficult to find a site for long RVs.  We knew from walking the campground that there were more big sites than the chart in the office we had to go by..... which was done many years ago.  So we asked if we could make a new chart & actually measure the sites.  Having a 40' MH also help to judge if a big rig could even get into a site even though the site may be long enough but with trees and turns it may be very difficult.   We came up with a new chart and found so many additional bigger sites than the original chart had.  The rangers were amazed!

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

There are no 45' motorhomes.

Huh?  There are lots of 45' motorhomes. (and some bigger)  Look at the specs of any m/h manufacturer.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Huh?  There are lots of 45' motorhomes. (and some bigger)  Look at the specs of any m/h manufacturer.

Sorry.... didn't realize that. I have corrected it.    So if a site is stated to be 45' typically, unless you lucked out, a 45' 5th wheel and tow vehicle would not fit which is what the OP is asking.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

We're about 71' over all, with a 43' fifth wheel.  There have been time when e've had to park the truck off site, usually very close by.  It's not really a problem.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We're finding more commercial RV parks that think they are making it less confusing by asking 'rig length' right after the 'what type of rig' in their online booking. So, conditioned by years of 'what is the length of your trailer?'.  We've been stung a few times by answering the rig length with the length of our 5er. They assume a pickup and throw us in a 55' site. 62' doesn't fit well.

The other problem is how some are measuring (as 2gypsies mentioned)....  One park outside Bend, OR, proudly advertises BIG rig sites that are 64' long. They measure from the furthest corners of an angled site. Measure down the middle and it's barely 60' if that.

If there's a comment section when booking online, I always put the 5er length + "I have a long truck. I'm 62' overall". I don't mention the truck type.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

The distance measuring function in google maps is your friend.

👍👍

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

👍👍

It's helped me a few times. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Google Earth also has a time tool, like a wayback machine! You can look at satellite views from other times, and sometimes find one from winter where the trees don't have leaves to block your view. That can be helpful in some parks. You can also see where Google maps is using a view that's 6 years old when there are other views much more current. Google Earth is great if you're looking at a newer campground or other location (Costco, new Walmart) that still looks like a field of corn or a construction site.

I have found many campgrounds have a max. length for the vehicle/RV and also show the length of the pad or driveway. If you select trailer (instead of RV) logic would say they'd expect some kind of tow vehicle and figure that into the equation. We stay mostly at state parks, COEs, other public lands. ReserveAmerica usually has the extra information, Recreation.gov has it at most campgrounds - but not all. Some campgrounds only show room for 35' trailers in every site, while having many sites that are much bigger. It all depends on the data the park has given to the reservation site. Some have pictures, some don't. A phone call is never a bad idea if you can find a number to call (and someone to answer). I do my own research first, and then if I'm unsure I'll call. Always have a plan B (and C, and maybe D) in case you get there and still don't fit.

So, to answer your original question, it depends. Do your own research, measure, look at road width too! You might "fit" in a 100' spot, but if the road is one narrow lane wide will you have room to maneuver your truck around to get the trailer in there? Lots to think about. And sometimes all that still isn't enough. Good luck - I also research comments on campgrounds.rvlife.com, Campendium, CampsitePhotos, etc. and look at pictures when and wherever I can find them.

0509211517a-tiny.jpg.0313fb3892d85eca18617732fa6d04ac.jpg

2007 Freightliner M2-112, 68' connected

2021 New Horizons Majestic 45' toyhauler

2001 Kawasaki Concours

2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMD