Big BUBBLE in the wall of our Dometic frig.  Dangerous?  

Cotter

As shown in the pictures, there is a bubble on the right-hand wall of our Dometic DM2652RBX propane/electric refrigerator.  The frig has been in constant use for 3 years of full time RVing, and we only just noticed it.  The bubble is not hot nor warm.  Is this dangerous?

fridge2.jpg

fridge1.jpg

Looks like frost buildup behind the plastic liner causing the bubble. Have you ever defrosted the freezer in 3 years? It doesn't look like it. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I would at least defrost it but like Denny, I am wondering if you defrost regularly? If so you might want to try turning it off completely for a while just to see what happens. I have been an RVer for many years and have repaired more than a few, yet I have never seen anything like that. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would try to determine if there is empty space behind the bump to indicate that for some reason the wall has distorted, or is there something behind the wall that is pushing it out that way. If it is like most RV refrigerator installations, it will be very difficult to see what might be behind that area without removing it from the mounted position. In looking at the parts breakdown drawings, it doesn't appear that the sidewall is available for replacement. You can also download a copy of the Dometic Service Manual for it but I doubt that there is anything in it that would be helpful for this problem.

Building that much frost in 6 weeks means you probably have an air leak in the freezer compartment. It may be the door seal but by the location and frost getting behind the liner I'm thinking it's were the cold plate is attach to the case. The only way I know of fixing it would be to remove the cooling unit and reseal the case but the bubble will be there to stay because the liner has separated from the foam insulation.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

15 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I would try to determine if there is empty space behind the bump to indicate that for some reason the wall has distorted, or is there something behind the wall that is pushing it out that way. If it is like most RV refrigerator installations, it will be very difficult to see what might be behind that area without removing it from the mounted position. In looking at the parts breakdown drawings, it doesn't appear that the sidewall is available for replacement. You can also download a copy of the Dometic Service Manual for it but I doubt that there is anything in it that would be helpful for this problem.

You may be able to purchase the freezer side but when they are built they are in a jig and injected with open cell foam that glues it all together and insulates at the same time so replacing it would be more work than the refrigerator is worth. I've replaced the cooling unit in ours a couple of times and they aren't made to take apart, after the second time both with Amish cooling units it went into the trash where it belonged. Replaced with residential.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Wow Kirk and D&J; fantastic pointers!!  I'm going to see if I can access the right side of the frig through the RV's wall (maybe cut an access panel) and see what in the heck is up.  I'm also going to download the service manual and see if any heat generating parts are near that right wall...   👍

Sorry for not responding earlier.

I was out replacing a skylight and resealing a roof.

So the first thing I am wondering if the fridge is cycling on and off. As it should once it registers a set temperature. There should be a sensor somewhere.

Kirk, could you post tea wiring schematics for this fridge.

The next thing I would do is take a dollar bill. A five dollar bill will be too thick.   Just kidding.

With the bill between the frame of the fridge where the door seal , seals. And the door itself, a bill should not feel free. What you are looking for is a place for it to leak air into the refrigerator or freezer.

Does this fridge have a heater in the frame where the door seals. That would be found by searching the wiring schematics.

Just a quick guess is frost pushing it out of place.

I will watch for more info on this subject.

Vern

With the wiring diagram, m stands for what controls the temperature in the fridge. And the temperature in the freezer.

I would not dig into the side of the fridge. You could find a wire, when it is too late.

The use of the paper bill, should be used all around the doors opening.

The fins on the back of the fridge should be free of ice occasionally.  It should be free of ice say once in a few days. If it does that the temperature is about where it should be.

If the fins never show just the metal , then it is not shutting off due to temperature control. The thermistor could be bad. Or just needs moved.

If the thermistor is bad, or not registering, then the fridge will not stop cooling. Until it is fixed.

Edited by Wrknrvr

And I also wonder if (solar powered) boondocking is causing the extreme build-up of frost in the freezer, since that heating element is 120V, which is only available when we are in an RV park through shore power (which is only about ten days a month).

28 minutes ago, Cotter said:

And I also wonder if (solar powered) boondocking is causing the extreme build-up of frost in the freezer, since that heating element is 120V, which is only available when we are in an RV park through shore power (which is only about ten days a month).

The only thing that is 120v is the electric heater.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

25 minutes ago, Cotter said:

Oh boy, I also found out that there is a 12V DC heating element!  I'm so confused!!

That heater is in the freezer door for condensation and that's not your problem.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

1 hour ago, Cotter said:

I also found out that there is a 12V DC heating element! 

If you have one it is probably what D&J suggested. If you are basing that on the schematic you may be looking at the 3 way model that has both 12V and 120V heaters but that is an option that you do not have. 

This is a crude test. But scientific. Water freezes at32 degrees all over the world.

So another test to see if your thermistor is functioning properly is to get a cup to put water in. It should be plastic. Just in case it freezes solid.

So fill the cup 3/4s full. Set it next to the fins in the refrigerator. There should only be ice the top of the water in the cup, occasionally. Say once every three days.  If it freezes solid. Then the thermistor is not positioned properly. Or it is malfunctioning.

Thanks Vern, but I constantly monitor the internal temperature of both the freezer and the fridge with temperature gauges.  I also have them alarmed for high temperature, which has saved our bacon when the propane unexpectedly runs out.  (The freezer varies from between -5 degrees to +5 degrees, while the fridge varies from +38 degrees to +42 degrees over the course of the week.)