Onan 5000 generator

Can an Onan 6500 Generator simply plug into my rig to replace my Onan 5000 without having to change out other electrical components? 

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

As far as I know, yes, if it will fit in the same space and the logistics can be figured out.  Regardless of the larger output, your RV can only handle what the breaker panel supports.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

23 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Can an Onan 6500 Generator simply plug into my rig to replace my Onan 5000 without having to change out other electrical components? 

Sure, it can work so long as it fits,,,,,,,,,any space and clearance requirements are satisfied,,,,,,,you get fuel to it,,,,,,,,,,,, ALL WIRING IS PROPERLY INSTALLED AND  PROTECTED...........

SAFETY NOTE: There may wiring modifications HOWEVER If you modify the existing genset output breaker or add an additional breaker TO PROPERLY PROTECT THE EXISTING WIRING FROM GENSET TO TRANSFER SWITCH OR PANEL you should be fine. 5000 Watts at 120 Volts = 42 Amps while 6500 = 54 Amps capacity. IE if you limit the new gensets current to match what the existing wire can handle alls well HOWEVER if you want to increase capacity to 6500 Watts then wiring upgrades may be required.........I don't know the size of your existing ??   it may already be adequate for a bigger genset ???

Space, Clearance, Fuel and ADEQUATE WIRING AND OVERCURRENT PROTECTION is what you need to be concerned with ...........

John T

9 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Sure, it can work so long as it fits,,,,,,,,,any space and clearance requirements are satisfied,,,,,,,you get fuel to it,,,,,,,,,,,, ALL WIRING IS PROPERLY INSTALLED AND  PROTECTED...........

SAFETY NOTE: There may wiring modifications HOWEVER If you modify the existing genset output breaker or add an additional breaker TO PROPERLY PROTECT THE EXISTING WIRING FROM GENSET TO TRANSFER SWITCH OR PANEL you should be fine. 5000 Watts at 120 Volts = 42 Amps while 6500 = 54 Amps capacity. IE if you limit the new gensets current to match what the existing wire can handle alls well HOWEVER if you want to increase capacity to 6500 Watts then wiring upgrades may be required.........I don't know the size of your existing ??   it may already be adequate for a bigger genset ???

Space, Clearance, Fuel and ADEQUATE WIRING AND OVERCURRENT PROTECTION is what you need to be concerned with ...........

John T

Both the Onan 5000 and 6500 have two 30 amp breakers on the output, although some early 5000's have a 20 and a 30. Both are also supplied with the same size output wiring, that if memory serves me, are 10 AWG stranded wire for the hots and neutral. Not sure about the safety ground.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

15 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Both the Onan 5000 and 6500 have two 30 amp breakers on the output, although some early 5000's have a 20 and a 30. Both are also supplied with the same size output wiring, that if memory serves me, are 10 AWG stranded wire for the hots and neutral

Good info for the OP, if the 6500 is equipped with 30 Amp overcurrent protection and 10 Gauge wire connects its output to the panel or transfer switch ?? ALLS WELL AS THE CONDUCTORS ARE PROPERLY PROTECTED !!!!!!!!

Good news for the OP !!!!!!!!! THANKS TO DUTCH 

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

Good info for the OP, if the 6500 is equipped with 30 Amp overcurrent protection and 10 Gauge wire connects its output to the panel or transfer switch ?? ALLS WELL AS THE CONDUCTORS ARE PROPERLY PROTECTED !!!!!!!!

Good news for the OP !!!!!!!!! THANKS TO DUTCH 

John T

Yep, even the older 5000 with the 20 and 30 amp breakers came with 10 gauge wire for both outputs. It was probably just cheaper to only source one size for a range of models.

Dutch

On 8/26/2023 at 8:35 AM, homelesshartshorns said:

Can an Onan 6500 Generator simply plug into my rig to replace my Onan 50

It would be nice if you would acknowledge the folks who are trying to help you when you look in.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

It could be a plug end. I have seen both in older rv’s 

I agree, many genset outputs are hard wired into a junction box that then wires up to a transfer switch or panel.  Swapping out the wiring to a new genset should be easy and again insure there's proper overcurrent protection for the conductors to the transfer or panel.. WELL DUH lol

Likewise, actually I didn't mind the older RV's that had a NEMA TT-30R Genset fed Receptacle in the box where the power cord was stored so all you did was plug the cord into it when driving or dry camped as needed   MUCH CHEAPER EASIER AND FOOLPROOF without the expense of a Transfer Switch and its potential problems........ although perhaps not quite as convenient. The more bells whistles gizmos and gadgets the more can go wrong, for example the slide outs, power awnings, auto levelers etc etc many of which experience problems. Oh well such it is.. 

John T  

17 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

I agree, many genset outputs are hard wired into a junction box that then wires up to a transfer switch or panel.  Swapping out the wiring to a new genset should be easy and again insure there's proper overcurrent protection for the conductors to the transfer or panel.. WELL DUH lol

Likewise, actually I didn't mind the older RV's that had a NEMA TT-30R Genset fed Receptacle in the box where the power cord was stored so all you did was plug the cord into it when driving or dry camped as needed   MUCH CHEAPER EASIER AND FOOLPROOF without the expense of a Transfer Switch and its potential problems........ although perhaps not quite as convenient. The more bells whistles gizmos and gadgets the more can go wrong, for example the slide outs, power awnings, auto levelers etc etc many of which experience problems. Oh well such it is.. 

John T  

After two failed transfer switches in about 8 years, I gave up and wired my Onan BGE 5000 to a standard NEMA 14-50 "poor man's transfer switch" outlet installed in the power cord bin. Other than the rare time I've had to go out and plug the power cord in during a rain storm, I've been quite happy with it. It quickly became routine to plug into the outlet when stowing the cord after disconnecting from shorepower for travel.

Dutch

2 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

My 1987 Allegro had an ATS while the 1998 Cruise Master had the plug in the cord storage. With the CM that was also the location of the 50A/120V distribution box that was the same as a stick house and the converter was immediately behind it. It was a pass through by with some water lines and it was a pass-through with the water heater space on the other side. I found that I liked the outlet for storing the cord end as it was very convenient. A friend who did have an ATS in his motorhome had me help him install a box with the outlet in his cord storage just to keep the plug handy even though there was no power supplied to that plug. Having made a career of repairing electrical equipment, I tend to think like John that needless features are just more potential failures. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My 30-year-old 6500 has two breakers, a 30a for the "house" and a 20a dedicated to the rear a/c. It's a 30a coach. The 20a is wired (via the junction box of course) directly to the rear a/c, not through a transfer switch. The house is 30a.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com