Jump to content

Day Cabs


rynosback

Recommended Posts

Is anyone running with a day cab? By the qualifications posted up,

1. Cooking - A small microwave is generally acceptable.
2. Refrigeration or Ice Box - Either 110 Volt, 12 Volt or LP powered refrigerator is acceptable.
3. Self-contained Toilet - In most states a Porta Potty is acceptable.
4. Heating or Air Conditioning - Factory air/heat is acceptable w/separate sleeper berth control.
5. Potable Water Supply System including a Faucet and Sink.
6. Separate 110V Power Supply or LP Gas - A generator, inverter or shore power inlet is acceptable.

it would not qualify as a not for hired “motorhome”. I would only use the truck to tow the 5ver, so not sure that I would need a sleeper. As a day cab would be the shortest option and the shortest wheel base allowing for the best maneuvering. Are the day cabs ride equal to the spleepers? Both have air ride, air ride seat and I think some day cabs have cab air ride. 
I did a search under day cabs and nothing came up. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends.  You need to follow the rules in the state where the truck is licensed.  That may, or may not, be in the same state as your domicile.

For instance, we live in Indiana, but our rig is licensed at our farm, just 6 road miles away.  100% legally.  Both Indiana and Ohio have the same requirements for a n motorhome: permanent bed for sleeping, permanent table with seating for dining, fridge or ice box, and cook surface or oven.  No sink or toilet required.

Most modern day cabs have air ride cab, as well as chassis and seat(s).  Our Mack had air seat only on drivers side.  Day cabs ride rougher for the same reasons that they're more maneuverable.

Some states allow a day cab to be licensed as a simple non-com truck.  No bothering with m/h status.  Which circles back to.......what state will you license said truck?

Look up the requirements in the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide above.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

It depends.  You need to follow the rules in the state where the truck is licensed.  That may, or may not, be in the same state as your domicile.

For instance, we live in Indiana, but our rig is licensed at our farm, just 6 road miles away.  100% legally.  Both Indiana and Ohio have the same requirements for a n motorhome: permanent bed for sleeping, permanent table with seating for dining, fridge or ice box, and cook surface or oven.  No sink or toilet required.

Most modern day cabs have air ride cab, as well as chassis and seat(s).  Our Mack had air seat only on drivers side.  Day cabs ride rougher for the same reasons that they're more maneuverable.

Some states allow a day cab to be licensed as a simple non-com truck.  No bothering with m/h status.  Which circles back to.......what state will you license said truck?

Look up the requirements in the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide above.

My Domicile is SD. Been full time for 8 years now.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be asking these questions of your DMV, here you will get opinions, where they will give a definitive answer.  My own truck COULD qualify had I removed the sleeper and added Living Quarters, IE turn into a Class A Motor Coach.  As is only a Tow Vehicle can be licensed only as a Tow Vehicle in MO, weight class, marking Not For Hire etc etc as to making it NON Commercial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Look up the requirements in the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide above.

3 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

Be asking these questions of your DMV, here you will get opinions, where they will give a definitive answer.

That's pretty much what I said, but beware, many (most?) county/state offices don't really know because this isn't something they do very often.  If the office doesn't agree with the Resource Guide, there's a pretty good chance said office doesn't really know.

So, yes, it's my opinion that you seek out the correct answer for the state in which you will license.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I think the majority of MDTs are "day cabs". ?

 My state, Oregon, has a website "askODOT.com" I have used it many times with absolutely awesome results. It's important to leave contact info, like your cell phone number if your state has such a site.

 Also, often a state requires a percentage of their criteria be met, not usually 100%.

 As rickeieio mentions, the resource guide has a lot of great info.

 

I'm a work'n on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

 I think the majority of MDTs are "day cabs". ?

 My state, Oregon, has a website "askODOT.com" I have used it many times with absolutely awesome results. It's important to leave contact info, like your cell phone number if your state has such a site.

 Also, often a state requires a percentage of their criteria be met, not usually 100%.

 As rickeieio mentions, the resource guide has a lot of great info.

 

I’m looking at HDTs.  Most of them seem to be tandem sleeper rigs. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Be aware daycabs are short haul tractors. 500k miles is probably life of one

I was thinking that also as they are used for stop and go and short hops. A lot harder miles than a long haul truck. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The big cheap Magilla these days are the Unibody construct cab/sleepers, welded not riveted, larger roomy interiors to a point, flooded markets of used out there.  HOWEVER check with insurers as the Welded Unibody designs tend to be higher cost on insurance as more difficult to repair than a rivet or huck fastener style cab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

The big cheap Magilla these days are the Unibody construct cab/sleepers, welded not riveted, larger roomy interiors to a point, flooded markets of used out there.  HOWEVER check with insurers as the Welded Unibody designs tend to be higher cost on insurance as more difficult to repair than a rivet or huck fastener style cab.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 years ago I started the same search for the “perfect tow vehicle “.  Lots of advice and initially thought a Volvo 670 singled short was the answer.  As you can see, I ended up with a Volvo 780 with tandem axles and haven’t regretted that choice one bit.  It’s not a daily driver but have used it to go just about everywhere we needed in a pinch…groceries, restaurants, even medical clinic.  A very smart individual convinced me to stay tandem because I didn’t know the future of what my truck needs would be.  As many have said, choose what YOU feel will fit your needs now but be cognizant of future needs also.  It is likely as time goes on more and more HDTS are going to need to haul vehicles other than Smart cars.  You’re at risk of overloading axles if not carefully planned…consider that.  
I am registered in Tennessee as a MH…I think number 4 to do so.  My county had no clue how to do it and like most bureaucratic agencies said I couldn’t (cause they didn’t want to admit they didn’t know how).  After a lot of leg work, phone calls to Nashville, I walked in with a stack of papers and letters and asked to speak to my County Clerk personally not an underling.  She asked what I wanted, told her, offered the ream of documents.  She got that “deer in the headlights “ turned to one of the underlings without even looking at the papers and said “make this man happy.”  I am.  Finally when you register be sure it’s right the first time.  Number 3 before me got it wrong in Nashville and it was a mess to get re-registered as a Motorhome.  BTW, as I said, don’t count on DMV, County Vehicle Registration etc. to give a definitive answer.  My stack of papers had copies of federal and state statutes and memos to prove I could do what I wanted.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have our Freightliner M2-112 (a Class 7 HDT crew cab) registered in South Dakota. They call it a non-commercial truck and the registration fee is based on weight. On the SD title it says "Freightliner (RV)" under Make. Our truck does NOT have any of the "motorhome" items (except the back seat makes into a bed), I think they titled it that way because it was meant (by us) to pull an RV, not as a commercial vehicle. We have found the DMV folks extremely helpful and easy to deal with.

0509211517a-tiny.jpg.0313fb3892d85eca18617732fa6d04ac.jpg

2007 Freightliner M2-112, 68' connected

2021 New Horizons Majestic 45' toyhauler

2001 Kawasaki Concours

2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nawaa said:

We have our Freightliner M2-112 (a Class 7 HDT crew cab) registered in South Dakota. They call it a non-commercial truck and the registration fee is based on weight. On the SD title it says "Freightliner (RV)" under Make. Our truck does NOT have any of the "motorhome" items (except the back seat makes into a bed), I think they titled it that way because it was meant (by us) to pull an RV, not as a commercial vehicle. We have found the DMV folks extremely helpful and easy to deal with.

Thanks for the input. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
RVers Online University

mywaggle.com

campgroundviews.com

RV Destinations

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...