Uninhabitable Motorhome

Nancy Gail

My Motorhome is a 40 foot class a diesel pusher. My husband was in the hospital and has subsequently died. During the time the motorhome was left, unattended, and became infested with rats. They did extensive damage to the water and electrical systems. My Goodsam insurance does not cover rodent issues. I have so far spent $20,000 repairing these items but there are many more damaged lines than we thought. There is also some mold that has grown from the broken water lines. Does anyone have any experience with having a Motorhome declared uninhabitable? I am desperate.

The only thing that works is poison blocks and TOM's seem ro be the best. We went thru this, tho w/o the major damage and traps of various types sort of work but do not get rid of the critters. You do not need the plastic boxes just scatter the blocks wherever the rats go. Our dogs ignore the blocks.

You have to deal with t5he dead rat stink the lasts a week or two

Edited by agesilaus

I'm sorry to hear of your terrible loss.  Extreme stress and emotional hemorrhaging are difficult enough without this additional disaster.
The only thing I can add that may be helpful is that you might want is an Ozone Generator to eliminate the odor problem.
I had a mouse infestation where mice peed everywhere in a shop building - including inside wall insulation. I purchase an ozone generator on Amazon for about eighty bucks.  (I think it was Amazon's recommended choice machine.)

It took a few days of use and moving the machine from spot to spot in the building (about 1200 square feet).  The odor was eliminated after a while - I asked visitors if they noticed any odor - no one did.

The bigger issue is the insurance not covering the loss of the motorhome.  
My feeling is that you will need an attorney to review the insurance policy exclusions in an effort to find how the total loss of the insured vehicle isn't somehow covered.

Perhaps others may help?

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

On 6/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, agesilaus said:

The only thing that works is poison blocks and TOM's seem ro be the best. We went thru this, tho w/o the major damage and traps of various types sort of work but do not get rid of the critters. You do not need the plastic boxes just scatter the blocks wherever the rats go. Our dogs ignore the blocks.

You have to deal with t5he dead rat stink the lasts a week or two

What about cat's, do they ignore the blocks too? What if the cat consumes a rodent that has been poisoned ? Does it cause them any problems? 

An inquiring mind wishes to know. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I doubt that they would be interested in the block but I no feline expert, use the plastic boxes if you are worried but that greatly limits where you can put the blocks. Ask a vet about your cuisine question

But poison is the only effective method that we found, Traps and repellent do not work well enough to clear an RV. We have been Rodent Free from a week or two after using the blocks.

This seems to be getting off-track.  She's not asking about rats. They already did the damage.

She's asking "Does anyone have any experience with having a Motorhome declared uninhabitable? I am desperate."

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I don't understand what is her goal?  If someone says it is "uninhabitable", then what?  What good is that going to do?

I think she needs to tell us what is her goal and what she expects to do with the results.

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

15 minutes ago, usbusin said:

I don't understand what is her goal?  If someone says it is "uninhabitable", then what?  What good is that going to do?

I think she needs to tell us what is her goal and what she expects to do with the results.

I guessed she wants the insurance company to total it without it having been in a wreck.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My truck had a rodent chew through a wire - it caused a "check engine" light.  
Truck ran okay.  Got it to a dealership - they replaced the glow plug control module - it didn't fix the problem.
$800 dollars later, they repaired the broken wire.

Comprehensive insurance paid for it (minus the deductible). 

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 2 months later...

I agree. You need to hire an atty to review your MH Ins. policy and advise you of your rights under the contract and state laws.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961