Extended Warranties for your RV

Hi Downsizing. My husband and I are looking to purchase a used 2021 Grand Design 5th wheel and are thinking about getting an extended warranty. I wanted to know if you have any updates about the America's RV Warranty. Are you glad your purchased it. Have you had to use it and if so how was the process? Thanks in advance for your reply. 

Judy

I have NEVER had a extended warranty pay for or do what they say they will do in their contract

Had a Tiffin and motor awning went bad. Couldn't get part . . . obsolete. Next scenario was replace . . . Nope we'll give you $600  towards obsolete part even though contract said they'de pay last retail price which was over $1300 and thats it . . . Take it or leave it. They make you go through hoops to get a repair done then usually decline it. Take the money and set it aside for repairs and pay for them yourself.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I bought the one from Camper's world and they tap danced and claimed since it was used all issues were per-existing. Never again. I did get a good deal on one for a car a decade or two ago.

If you were to do one insist they put in writing that they would not claim new problems for YOU will not be blown off as preexisting.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Any of these so called extended warranties are really service contracts, and service is questionable.  Usually, all they do is delay getting you back on the road because of all the games they play trying to keep you from getting repaired so they don't have to pay.  Like has been said, create your own emergency repair account and you will be much happier being able to control repairs.

We paid for our first ever in our life extended warranty on our new New Horizon. We knew it would pay for itself. Warranty was just over 3000 and the tire and wheel warranty was 750 ish both were good until the trailer is 7 years old. No deductible. Also the tire and wheel was for trailer and truck(hdt). Had a tire on trailer replaced and that more than half paid for the warranty. We had a bidfoot leveling jack that had a retainer ring break and the paid to have it replaced. It could have been fixed with a new ring but paid 1000$ to have a shop replace the whole thing. We have had good experiences with the warranty company and approved and payed the same day to the service center. The only bad thing is that they won’t pay for the part and let you fix it yourself. The jack could have been fixed with a ten dollar part. The company name is Compass. You have to figure if the warranty price seems worth it for the trailer and how you will use it. If full time then it makes more sense than if you just use on weekends. 

If you search any of the forums, you'll find too many discussions on this topic to count. 

My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many times, too. The standard seems to be that 80% of extended service plan revenue goes toward commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes toward paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

In the past we have had both good and bad experiences with "extended warranty" companies.  They will weasel word every chance they get to keep from paying.  If it is a covered item, they will generally pay.  So, if you do go down the warranty rabbit hole, be sure and read the contract in detail to see what is and is not covered.  Also make sure that you have the ability to get a full refund (in writing) for the contract within 60 or 90 days so that you can really read the contract.  Also, check your responsibilities to maintain the unit and what records you need to prove your maintenance.

On the last RV we bought, I self-insured and put the money in the bank.  We never got close to what the "warranty" would cost.

Now on the new truck we just bought, I did get the extended coverage since these new vehicles have such extensive computer controls and the drivelines are so complicated.  Hopefully, I will never need to use it, but I at least have the peace of mind that I won't get shocked with a huge repair.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

It has always amazed me how many insurance companies are BIG sponsors of motor sports.  I am an NHRA & NASCAR fan, and there are so many insurance companies that are sponsors on these teams and on the events.  It has caused me to wonder how much profit do these companies make to be able to doll out so much money as sponsors.

Marcel

2 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

It has always amazed me how many insurance companies are BIG sponsors of motor sports.  I am an NHRA & NASCAR fan, and there are so many insurance companies that are sponsors on these teams and on the events.  It has caused me to wonder how much profit do these companies make to be able to doll out so much money as sponsors.

According to a U.S. Treasury Department report from 2019, the property and casualty insurance companies – of which auto insurance represents about half – had more than $68 billion in net income for 2018.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

11 hours ago, Second Chance said:

had more than $68 billion in net income for 2018

That could affect the National Debt some.  It would be helpful if they would adjust their premiums so that we are taking it in the shorts so hard.  I dont begrudge them making a profit BUT....  Perhaps I should move some of my investments over to insurance companies, as they seem to be adept at returning on their shareholders investments.  They sure havent returned much to me on my premiums, and there is always the fine print IF you make a claim.

Marcel

Buying an ESC is no different than buying health insurance on your person. You are betting you'll encounter high medical expenses during the life of the contract; the Ins. company is betting you'll stay healthy and not need medical care. A man on a different RVing forum now wishes he had bought an ESC when he bought a newer MH. The engine blew 2 different times, resulting in his out-of-pocket expenses of $30,000 total.

i would not recommend an ESC for a towable, but , new trailers have so much electronics and CANBUS in them they are very exensive to repair/replace the electronics systems.

I would not buy an ESC from a selling dealer, the price is too inflated, plus they want the buyer to add the ESC cost into the financing, which greatly increases the total cost of the extended service contract.

Contact wholesalewarranties.com  They are an independent ESC agency and find the best deal for that particular persons needs.

We bought an ESC from Camping World (paid cash) when we bought this MH from consignment. Our reasoning was, since this MH had been parked in a barn for 8 years, since the owner was in poor health, buying the ESC seemed prudent.

The ESC more than paid for itself during the 3 yr. contract, including deductibles and diagnostic fees (which BTW must be performed and paid by the owner before anything else)

That's my opinion; it and $2 will buy a cup of coffee at some places.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961