Washinton State Ferrys?

homelesshartshorns

Is it possible to take a ferry from Everett Washinton to Port Hanlock? And if so, how much is the cost for my rig and toad? I'm trying to get from the western end of Hwy 2 to the Olympic National Park and Hwy 101! Any suggestions apprecated. 

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Here's a map of the ferry routes.  You'll have to contact Washington State Ferries to get up-to-date prices.  A nice, easy one is from Coupeville to Port Townsend.  The Escapees park near Port Townsend is a great place to stay.  You can easily do day trips to the national park from the SKP park. It's not far at all.  Lots of neat things to do from the Port Townsend area in all directions.  You can also drive your vehicle down to Bainbridge Island and as a passanger, take the ferry to the Seattle waterfront near the Aquarium, Pike Place Market. Then board the monorail which will whisk you across town to the Space Needle.  Then return to beginning... saving the shopping at Pikes Place for last before boarding the ferry again.  It's a nice, easy day trip.

https://wsdot.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2021-04/WashingtonStateFerries-RouteMap.pdf

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I'm trying to get from the western end of Hwy 2 to the Olympic National Park and Hwy 101!

To get prices you need to visit Commercial and oversized vehicles on ferries and calculate based on your total length.  If you plan to see the sites in the Seattle area I suggest that you consider routing via the Tacoma Narrows Bridge to save some money and you also need to be aware that the tide swing in Puget Sound is around 10' so there could be times that your coach will have problems getting on and off of some of the ferries due to the steepness of the ramps. I have used the ferries many times as a passenger and with the CR-v but because of the tide issue we took the motorhome over the bridge. Olympic NP has many different areas of interest and in most cases you must leave the park and use the highways to visit them as there are very few roads in the park. If you have not done so, check out the NPS maps on their website. The park is not all contiguous but there is a gap between the mountain part and the coastal section. We particularly like the Elwha area and suggest the Deer Park area with the towed. On the west is the Hoh Rain Forest which contains the only  US rainforest. The Lake Crescent area is another favorite of ours and you should plan time to hike out to the coast as it is spectacular. Lake Ozette is right on US101 and is another place that you must see. Hurricane Ridge is a ski area in winter and can be seen in a day but is worth the time and again, by towed. Also take some time to visit Neah Bay which is at the most western point and is native American.

Since our eldest son lived in Sequim for many years we have spent a lot of time in that area. I recommend a good campground is Salt Creek Recreation Area, where we hosted several times.

Edited by Kirk W
add a campground suggestion

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I used to live in that area.  The most direct route is to take the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston, then Hwys 104 and 19 to Port Hadlock.  If it's a clear day the view from the ferry's passenger deck is spectacular.  Unless you want to see other stuff on Whidbey Island it's a long way up and around to get to the Keystone (Coupeville) - Pt Townsend ferry.   The other factor is Edmonds to Kingston is a major crossing and has frequent service with large boats.   You'll have no problem getting your rig on or off the ferry, large trucks use it all the time.  The Keystone - Port Townsend ferry uses smaller boats, runs less frequently and sometimes has runs cancelled if the tidal currents are too strong at Keystone.

If you can avoid rush hour traffic, it's actually about the same amount of time (including the average wait for the next ferry) to go south on I-5 through Seattle to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, then north via WA 16 and 3 to the Hood Canal floating bridge (free), then 104 and 19 to Port Hadlock.   Tacoma Narrows Bridge only collects toll in the eastbound direction, you'll be going on the free side.  These are mostly 4 lane freeways up to the Hood Canal Bridge, then wide and easy 2 lane highways past there.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Great info from all the posters.  I'm planning a trip to Marysville WA and would also like to go to the 3 National Parks so I can mark them off my list.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

22 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Great info from all the posters.  I'm planning a trip to Marysville WA and would also like to go to the 3 National Parks so I can mark them off my list.  

Don't forget Mount Saint Helens National Monument.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

47 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

Don't forget Mount Saint Helens National Monument.  

I did forget, I'll put it on my list.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car