anyone using portable solar batteries ie Bluetti

• GlennWest changed the title to anyone using portable solar batteries ie Bluetti

Good evening Glenn, There's several brands of those so called "Solar Generators" coming online. What's great is their simplicity, plug n play, almost idiot proof, anyone can use them, sooooooooooo convenient.......NO I dont use them or consider them the best bang for the buck when it comes down to energy storage capacity and inverters. I shopped around did my homework, use my own installed LiFePo4 batteries, PSW Inverter, 12 VDC and USB outlets, plus various methods (Solar, DC to DC, 120 VAC charger) to recharge........... 

Again its my opinion they are great for many users and a good product, its just that I ended up with more energy storage inverter and DC capacity for the dollars spent.

To each their own works for me

John T

Most of the "solar generators" on the market are intended to support small loads for relatively short durations of time.  All they are are fancy boxes with a battery and an inverter on the inside.  Some have nice connection features for directly plugging various devices into them for recharging or to power them, but they are still basically just an inverter and a battery in a box.  Some of them have solar charge controllers also built into them so you can connect solar panels to them directly to recharge the battery inside. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of them for the RV.  I would rather build my own system out of individual components so I can get exactly what I need.  If your power needs were modest, they could be an option though.  For tent campers and the like, they are a nice option to have a little power at the campsite.

Generally speaking, there are usually cheaper ways to get the same(or more) available power in your RV by building a system out of individual components.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

They're great for folks who choose to afford them and just want something that's plug and play. 

EXACTLY, and add to that as noted by Chad, for those with low energy requirements. For those of us who want to power our coffee makers , microwaves, insta pots, air fryers, hair dryers etc etc for longer periods (absent a generator) I recommend individual Lithium batteries and Inverters to get more energy storage and inverter capacity for the dollars spent. AGAIN, even if not as dollar efficient, they are so simple and easy to use if I were a low energy user ID BUY ONE IN A HEARTBEAT LOL 

John T

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, portable solar batteries like the Bluetti are becoming increasingly popular among outdoor enthusiasts, campers, and RVers who want to generate their own clean, renewable power while on the go. These devices are essentially rechargeable battery packs that are charged by solar panels, and they can be used to power various devices and appliances, such as lights, phones, laptops, and even small refrigerators.

One of the advantages of portable solar batteries like the Bluetti is their portability and ease of use. They can be easily transported and set up wherever you go, and they don't require any complicated wiring or installation. They also don't emit any harmful emissions, making them a more eco-friendly alternative to traditional generators.