Bed or no bed?

hemsteadc

I'm close to selling my M2-106 Freightliner with a flat bed.  My previous tow was an F450 with a flat bed.  I'm considering a standard pickup with a standard bed, but I need some opinions from those who do that.  

I see it all the time, in fact most 5er pullers are standard bed trucks, but, I guess my concern is the small clearance between the 5er and the top of the bed.  Is that a real issue for you?  Do you get a lot of contact there, or is it a non-issue?

I pulled with a 2004 F-350 DRW long box, I had about 5 inches of clearance between the box and my 5er. The only time I had an issue was when I drove over the edge of the driveway down into my parent's yard, the rear most top of the box would get very close to the 5er.  I always tried to keep an eye on my clearance when on uneven ground, But not really an issue.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

Really depends on the terrain you travel. Some people don't like the look of a flatdeck, but a well built deck can be art.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 3/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, hemsteadc said:

Thanks.  It's moot now as the buyer doesn't like my price.  

Maybe another one will come around soon. 

Good luck, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.