Battle Born Battery failure

Glenn, I actually saw that You Tube video LAST NIGHT !!!!! For sure that Battleborn Battery suffered one catastrophic failure I hope they determine the cause. I thought at one time BB (or some other maker) DID NOT APPROVE SERIES CONNECTIONS and the failure noted did involve a series 48 volt connection of four BB's ????????????? Interesting video for this engineer........

John T  Retired but still ever curious EE

Glenn, yep there are several of those Battle Born units out there. It's strange how ONLY that the third battery in a series string of four used to make up 48 Volts WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM AND FAILED BIG TIME. He indicated THAT BATTERY was reading MUCH HIGHER voltage (wasnt it 17 volts?) then the other three in series that were near 13 volts each. I dont know how THAT battereis BMS allowed such ???????? Hope BB figures it out, I didnt notice it to be any Victron failure ???

Stay tuned

John T 

Edited by oldjohnt

Battle Born does indicate that these packs can be series , not to exceed 48volts, that each pack must be at full state of charge prior to connecting them in series for proper balance , and to disconnect and charge them individually to full SOC annually. His comment that they had been running fine for over a year tends to make me think the maintenance routine wasnt followed.  Maybe the cause, maybe not 

Yo Glenn, I just watched the video for the second time and according to it there was a Battle Born Battery Failure and he also indicated Battle Born was replacing all eight batteries WOWWWWWWWW talk about good service. QUESTION Does Victron make those batteries for Battle Born ??????  I ask as you speak of Victron batteries and Victron replacing them ??

2 hours ago, palmeris said:

Battle Born does indicate that these packs can be series , not to exceed 48volts, that each pack must be at full state of charge prior to connecting them in series for proper balance , and to disconnect and charge them individually to full SOC annually. His comment that they had been running fine for over a year tends to make me think the maintenance routine wasnt followed.  Maybe the cause, maybe not 

palmeris, Good point and it was ALWAYS that same location (third in series string) where the battery read 17 volts (even with different batteries placed there) yet the other three read 13 volts ????????? Whether or not he failed to follow Battle Borns directions regarding charging balance and annual maintenance I HAVE NO IDEA ?????? I hope Battle Born lets us know.

FWIW one pure guess. Regular (NON BMS) batteries in series receive the same charging amps HOWEVER the Battel Borns EACH have an EMS which looks at the terminal voltage and delivers charging amps accordingly, with four in series and each its own BMS perhaps there could be balance problems and why one failed ?????????????????? What say you ??

John T   Though long retired still an ever curious engineer and proud of it 

Edited by oldjohnt

5 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Too bad the video is now unavailable - someone made it private.  Too graphic?

Yo Lou, you would have enjoyed it........ I didn't try again today, watched it yesterday and the day before ?????? It didn't look good for BB, maybe there was a complaint ??????? As I posted above it may NOT have been all BB fault however

John T

Battle born indicating that multiple units is series must be disconnected and charged individually on an annual basis to balance each pack ...speaks to the fact that there are multiple BMS in the series string with no visibility to what the other packs / bms are doing or need... a multi port charger that can individually monitor and communicate to each BMS or a true 48 volt( or desired voltage) pack with its own BMS monitoring each cell would be another solution, but disconnecting and balance a couple times a year seems a cost effective solution...something to keep in mind when multiple BMS are in series...packs in parallel would be no issue

On 3/15/2023 at 6:57 PM, GlennWest said:

Better to buy a 48v battery then if this is true

I agree, iffffffffffffffffff your preferred battery manufacturer makes a 48 Volt battery ???? it saves allllllllllllllll those series connections with their potential problems, balance problems, and any in series multiple BMS issues. Now if you have a suitable 48 Volt Inverter/Charger,,,,,,,,,,,,An MPPT 48 volt charger for your solar,,,,,,,,,,,,,A 48 to 12 DC to DC converter for any 12 VDC loads YOURE GOOD TO GO..........  Im NOT a fan of multiple series connections and more than necessary electronic components, but sure higher voltage has its advantages especially for high energy users. To each THEIR own, no necessarily right or wrong answers on this.

John T  NOT any solar expert NO Warranty lol

25 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Victron doesn't sell 48v batteries. 

If so that doesn't surprise me one bit, I'm not aware of Victron batteries 12 or 48 Volt ??? The ones that failed in the OP were Battleborn not Victron. A quick Google search does make it appear several companies indeed manufacture 48 Volt LiFePo4 batteries, take your pick lol  

48 volt lithium iron phosphate battery - Bing images

Best wishes to all here

John T  FREE dry camped near Wildwood Florida, gotta love Solar and Lithium yayyyyyyyyyyy

• GlennWest changed the title to Battle Born Battery failure

I call those Senior Moments and have them often grrrrrrrrrrr and its gonna get worse DRATS !!!!

John T  Live in the RV Moochdocked in a friends driveway in Inverness Florida... Happy with my SOK Lithiums working PERFECT so far but believe BB to be good quality

While trying to find that video, I ran across a video  of a couple who had a 10 BB battery bank. They switched to  Enduro Lithium batteries for several reasons.

I found it interesting Enduro makes 12V, 24V, and 36V batteries.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961