Diesel Mechanics Program

Vegas Teacher

I know some of you probably thought I was writing to ask about a good mechanic or getting a Commercial CDL again, but no, I crack myself up LOL!!!!!!

Anyway I thought I would tell you about a new school I was offered a biology position here in Vegas. 

We are going to open a brand new high school year that is a technical trade high school and it offers all the classes of a high school along with the kids majoring in a technical program like diesel mechanics, construction, landscaping, sports medicine and drafting to mention a few.

At the interview I was asked if there was anything I could bring to the table that was unique about me that would relate to the kids and their career choices. So I said absolutely, I pulled out my phone and showed them the picture of my big orange Volvo 780, then showed them pictures of Jack Mayer's RVH life styles site and they loved it. I think I might just be the only teacher in the district to own a Volvo semi. I also told them I interned / shadowed diesel mechanics last summer and they loved it. We talked for a while about the semi then moved on to my idea for dog training clubs and grilling clubs.

Anyway we never know how what we do in life might effect us down the road. Buying the Volvo has been a lot of ups and downs, mostly the up side. I only had downs when it was the big ticket items or the air line that blew out and left me on the side of the road, waiting to be towed. I will get to talk to my kids about so many really interesting and relevant things they will deal with and relate to them on what they are learning.

Later,

Cory O

Great perspective Cory.  I have been a machine mechanic and now a contractor installing machines for 30+ years.  My work involves concrete- cutting, rebar, embeds and pouring, installing the equipment with mechanical skills such as welding, adjustments, operation as well as some include electrical wiring to cause the equipment to operate with air power, hydraulic power or mechanical springs.  I have been amazed how few young people are not considering careers in the trades, because there are still buildings needing built and maintained, vehicles needing repaired, equipment needing installed and repaired.  I do feel that MY generation may have put too much emphasis on college and now we find ourselves in a shortage of younger folks interested in some very fulfilling careers.

My Gdaugther is only 24 and is making a very nice living as an auto mechanic.  She went to trade school like you descrided and has taken a path that has led her to a solid career.  She has school debt but is very satisfied with her career choice although it took a while for a company to realize that although being female, she is still a valuable asset to their company even though she doesnt fit the traditional mold of what a mechanic looks like.  She still likes her long hair done, her nails done and the things she enjoys being female but that for her includes auto mechanics.

I encourage you to share the opportunity to mold young people into careers that are not college based-heck they cant all be coders!!  Congrats.

Marcel

17 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Great perspective Cory.  I have been a machine mechanic and now a contractor installing machines for 30+ years.  My work involves concrete- cutting, rebar, embeds and pouring, installing the equipment with mechanical skills such as welding, adjustments, operation as well as some include electrical wiring to cause the equipment to operate with air power, hydraulic power or mechanical springs.  I have been amazed how few young people are not considering careers in the trades, because there are still buildings needing built and maintained, vehicles needing repaired, equipment needing installed and repaired.  I do feel that MY generation may have put too much emphasis on college and now we find ourselves in a shortage of younger folks interested in some very fulfilling careers.

My Gdaugther is only 24 and is making a very nice living as an auto mechanic.  She went to trade school like you descrided and has taken a path that has led her to a solid career.  She has school debt but is very satisfied with her career choice although it took a while for a company to realize that although being female, she is still a valuable asset to their company even though she doesnt fit the traditional mold of what a mechanic looks like.  She still likes her long hair done, her nails done and the things she enjoys being female but that for her includes auto mechanics.

I encourage you to share the opportunity to mold young people into careers that are not college based-heck they cant all be coders!!  Congrats.

You are correct! I am so excited to be at a school like this. I know we are starting something incredible! I think the best thing about it is, I might get to go down and play with all of the toys. I love carpentry, I want to learn a lot more about auto / diesel mechanics and if they have an old fashion drafting machine / arm just for fun, it would be out of this world.

Cory O

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

Kudos to your granddaughter!  I am one senior citizen that believes females can and should pursue any career they choose. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

9 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Kudos to your granddaughter!  I am one senior citizen that believes females can and should pursue any career they choose. 

I am one too, with her Father not in her lifes path, I was a more involved Gpa, and I am so proud of her for navigating this road.  And she really is enthusiastic about my Volvo, she loves horsepower!!

Thanks for the support.

Marcel

Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) has been touting the trades for years as a career path often times generating six figure incomes.  We’ve lost a lot of hands on knowledge.  Glad your school will support it. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

One of my blog friends has a daughter currently transitioning from auto machine to airplane mechanic through a trade school path. She started at a quicky oil change place and moved up from there. I love seeing this!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

What burns me to the quick are those schools that will not hire previously tenured Mechanics with a defined Well Adapted history as instructor or even mentor as "They Have No Degree".  I was a Certificate graduate of a leading trade school, cannot even become a instructor there even as My instructors were NON Degree carriers as I have asked, several good friends, long term hard advancing workers also looked to enter training for the Next Generation where previous experience was extensive would be infinitely helpful.  Got to sit in on a class where a Education Degree individual was teaching, the lack of ability to answer student questions other than to state "will see that when enter the market" as a Avoidance answer.  We had enough Parts Changers and unable to diagnose trainees in my day, has expanded vastly in the last twenty years.  The ones I have major issues with are those that can do nothing without installing Electronics equipment for "Diagnostic Time", not all problems are electronic.

We’ve definitely lost a lot of the tradesmen.  My father entered the military at age 18 out of HS in 1941 as a private and left in 1945 as a 1st Lt. and the pilot of a B29 flying off Guam in 1945.  He was 22 and entrusted with the most sophisticated airplane of its time. When he was discharged the airlines were hiring more “senior “ pilots and basically had their “ pick of the litter” so he took whatever work he could get being married with a child on the way.  He did construction, masonry, and ended up in auto mechanics.  The man could fix anything that had moving parts especially car and truck motors and it involved diagnosing the problems not throwing parts at it.  He was asked to teach at a school for troubled teens when he was in his 50’s but was not immediately hired since he “didn’t have a degree”.  He went to college at night while still working full time and earned a degree and taught troubled youth for 15 years.  Moral to this was the degree, though necessary, was window dressing, a state requirement but did nothing for his ability.  A lot of bright kids are being overlooked and need to be encouraged.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Local Trades 'College' has had Instructor ads for the last several years, are considering reducing the number of Classes available for the Trades citing other schools have better levels of instructors, yet that is a "for Now" condition.  I went to David R Ranken Trade School in St Louis, 1970s, to which the last classes thru my line of courses went from 10 months crash course to a one year both Cert programs, then a two year AS Degree ended in early 2000s with lack of entrants to the courses to continue the offering, that as the entrants were unable to meet the Collegiate side entry qualifications.  I actually drove to that Local school at Linn MO yesterday, spoke to the HR people, they were quite amazed at my qualifications of 45 years HOWEVER noted No Degree even as could consider my time in industry as a portion of a degree they COULD not hire me given the Schools REQUIREMENTS.  Just prior to leaving HR Office I asked how the current classes were faring, their response was limited success as the instructors are quite capable of Classroom skills the technical side was suffering.  I then asked if they actually heard what they just stated, thanked them for seeing me and explained had wasted enough of my time there.  

Edited by ddm502001

I went to the same technical school in St. Louis (Ranken) in 1986 for machine shop but haven’t been back there since. Wasn’t in the best neighborhood then and if still in the same place I don’t want to see it. We had great instructors there then that had real life experience not just book smarts. The high school I went to had a vocational machine shop course that was 3 hours a day for 2 years. I think that might have ended 15 years after I graduated high school (1986). They always pushed college degrees but you still need the trade for a lot of things. Is the main Ranken building still on Finney ave off of Grand in St. Louis?

Is still there, the old STL Streetcar building that housed the Auto trades was all rebuilt and the entire area sealed off 'From the Neighbors'.  That area of town has regressed far further, owing to the nature of HUD Ownership 74% of the homes are now either vacant or completely gone there.

Went back for Graduation of an ex Neighbor's daughter, still not a pleasant place to be in or get to.