Vehicle values

NDBirdman

I used to use NADA Guides to value vehicles/boats/campers, etc.  I see NADA was purchased by JD Powers and no longer exists.  I went to KBB's site, can't get a price, never been a fan of their service probably due to I can never get it to give me a price, seems like it only want's to act like an internet car sales service.  How can I now find a vehicles price?  I have even googled the intra net looking for trucks set up like mine, seems like low mile duallys are just about non-existent.  The only ones I could find had 200-500,000 miles, most with silly prices.  I can find on the powers website a price for a similar vehicle's price, but refuses to let me add the dually option which was a 10k add on.  Before NADA died from the take-over, my truck was priced at $55,500 but now the only value I can get is low 40s because none allow the dually accessory option.  Dealers are making low-ball offers based on JD Powers comercial side not showing any DRW add-ons.  I'm almost to the point of purchasing a motor-home and shoving this truck along the fence row, I would rather let it rot than let stealerships steal this truck from me.  Does anyone know where/how to get a real world value on vehicles? 

Sorry for the rant but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 minute ago, durangodon said:

I just went to both NADA and KBB websites and got a value on my dually truck with no problem.  Are these the websites you're trying?

https://www.nada.org/nada/consumer-vehicle-values

https://www.kbb.com/

Don beat me to it, but same. Neither site will let you add values for such things as air bags or fifth wheel hitches, etc.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

How can I now find a vehicles price? 

You could go to your nearest library as they probably have the published edition of one or possibly both books and as subscribers will have the complete, current copy that is updated monthly and allows you to value the specifics of each vehicle. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Don beat me to it, but same. Neither site will let you add values for such things as air bags or fifth wheel hitches, etc.

Nor would they let me select an option for DRW.  Got the KBB site to give me a value but the NADA site goes straight to JD Powers which seriously undervalues vehicles and won't let you add the value of DRW.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get it figured out.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Out of curiosity I tried to value my truck and you're right, the NADA site stinks. I wasn't able to indicate the long bed, the drw, or get the correct engine size.  Even though I entered diesel it came up as the 6.0L Vortec engine which is a much lower value.

On the other hand KBB allowed me to enter all the correct info.

2018 Keystone Cougar

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW D/A

I think dealers are the primary users of those guides and they don't care about add-ons. When we traded in our View they didn't even list the solar system in their ad to sell it. In California! You'd think a lot of people shopping for an RV in California would care that it had a fully installed solar system.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

17 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I think dealers are the primary users of those guides and they don't care about add-ons.

Dealers do not use the public website but subscribe to the monthly books. Nearly all new automobile dealerships are members of the NADA and the subscription to the monthly books is part of the membership, unless something has changed recently. Most financial institutions that do automobile loans also subscribe and use either the NADA/JD Powers books or the ones from Kelley. Most used car dealers are members of the National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NIADA) and they too used to get a copy of the NADA books but I'm not current on what they use now. Many, if not most public libraries also subscribe to one of the two books and larger ones used to have both. There is more information in the subscription books than what is on the public internet site and it is more current. I suspect that the dealer subscription books are online and interactive nowadays as well, but I do not have current information to verify that. 

I don't believe NADA books are available any longer, I used to buy one before doing any vehicle purchasing.  Can't find one beyond 2019 now, that's about the time they were bought out by Powers.  They have always been a dealers low-ball value, proved that in the past but now... NADA is gone.  While it will come up in a search, it pops you straight to the Powers web site.  I figured out KBB somewhat but it would not let me put any add-ons in for pricing.  Dealerships will always use the lowest price which ever site comes back with it... but they are in in for their $, can't blame them for that but..... at same time I will protect my investment.

I'm going to go talk to my bank about pricing and see if they will say what they now use.  Used to be most every loan officer had the little yellow book on hand.

I'm not going to let the stealership purchase my truck for a lowball price, First few days next week I will give them one last shot as they are always calling because they know I'm interested in selling.  I just wanted a print-out of my trucks value like I used to be able to obtain.  The last time I was there, they came running out saying this (paper in hand) is the recent value for my truck.  It did not even show the factory DRW or camper/tow set-up along with a few other factory extras installed past stock truck.  If they don't meet my price, we have a decision to make.  Either keep truck to use around here and buy a motor-home, or use truck and purchase a 5th wheel.  I'm looking at 2 MHs, but also found a Momentum 320 we like sooo.... soon maybe another RV.  One way or another, we are NOT going to experience a month of daytime highs of minus 20..... not gonna happen..... NOT

Past 2 winters I fell on ice 3 times flat on my back.  I now have shoulder/neck pain, left hip and left knee always some level of pain, sometimes excruciating.  This is the reason I seriously need to leave during the winters.  I'm tired of hurting so one way or another..... not a single winter here again... darn ice.....  Getting older stinx!

Edited by NDBirdman

7 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I'm going to go talk to my bank about pricing and see if they will say what they now use.  Used to be most every loan officer had the little yellow book on hand.

You may well be right about the books being completely gone. That may even be the result of their dealer service going online as we have lost our contacts inside of NADA in the years since Pam stopped working for a chaA pter. Seems like everyone we knew has retired! I think that your loan officer is a good place to start. If you would be so kind, share with us what you learn.

If you have a CarMax nearby they also will buy a used car and make an offer on it and their website says that they do it online too. A friend of ours sold his extra car to Carvana and was very pleased with the result. A Google search found several other such online purchase offers but I have no knowledge of any of those.

Good idea, there's a Carmax right across from the stealership, I'll have to stop in there.

Momma nature is trying to give us a shove south... LOL  This morn it was -20 again... now it's warmed up to -18.  We were floating around +15-20 for a while, now she has to kick us in the shins again.... gotta love it... NOT  My sis is funny, she is constantly telling me she's cold, it's 60f in FL... Me, at 60f, I'm riding my motorcycle in that heat!