DuckDuckGo may not be all that private

Chalkie

There have been several threads in here about using DuckDuckGo as the search engine of choice for added privacy. However it may not be as private as we think/thought. 

Neutronian, a company that rates privacy of various companies, has a surprise.

Some of the companies that were named may surprise marketers. Bing, DuckDuckGo, Roku, Blogger andAmazon Prime Video ranked among the bottom 10% -- below average.

"DuckDuckGo, a search engine marketing its services based on privacy, but monetize services through Bing, got dinged for lack of disclosure and transparency,” says Timur Yarnall, CEO at Neutronian. “Some of the others were dinged for making it difficult to find key terms like 'opt-out,' policies, or active litigations."

Full article can be found here.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

That article states Neeva search engine is 77% rated for privacy. However this seems to contradict that statement: https://www.makeuseof.com/reasons-you-shouldnt-use-neeva/

IMO it's all in the eye of the beholder. As stated in that article, nothing is completely safe and private on the internet.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

That article states Neeva search engine is 77% rated for privacy. However this seems to contradict that statement: https://www.makeuseof.com/reasons-you-shouldnt-use-neeva/

IMO it's all in the eye of the beholder. As stated in that article, nothing is completely safe and private on the internet.

I don't think the two articles are exclusive, as even that article says "Neeva SafeSearch Is Good, but Not Perfect". I also went to the sign up page and it was not in dark colors as that article says, it would be interesting to know what theme the author has his browser set to and what browser he is using.

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I don't think the two articles are exclusive, as even that article says "Neeva SafeSearch Is Good, but Not Perfect". I also went to the sign up page and it was not in dark colors as that article says, it would be interesting to know what theme the author has his browser set to and what browser he is using.

Did you read this statement?  

A dark pattern is a type of user interface designed to trick you into doing something you didn't intend to do. It's never a good sign, and can be an indication that a company is not entirely on the level.

If you're new to the concept of online privacy, and have decided to sign up to Neeva, you may take the privacy claims at face value and be eager to find out more.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

22 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

A dark pattern is a type of user interface designed to trick you into doing something you didn't intend to do. It's never a good sign, and can be an indication that a company is not entirely on the level.

👍

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 1/23/2023 at 3:38 PM, 2gypsies said:

If you're new to the concept of online privacy, and have decided to sign up to Neeva, you may take the privacy claims at face value and be eager to find out more.

Yes! But I guess I missed the meaning. Thanks!   I hope all the big(ger) letters were sufficient.

Humm, FireFox has a dark theme selection, does that mean it is has a nefarious intent too?

I understand a dark theme uses less electricity than a light theme. (dark screen, white lettering)

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

20 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Yes! But I guess I missed the meaning. Thanks!   I hope all the big(ger) letters were sufficient.

I didn't put the red lettering, size and underlining in my post.  That came up from the link.  Any apology for being so sarcastic?

Full-timed for 16 Years

No, since I am able to make that quote without the large letters and colored text, but thanks for recognizing my picque. 

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

I didn't put the red lettering, size and underlining in my post.  That came up from the link.  Any apology for being so sarcastic?

Edited by Chalkie

43 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

No, since I am able to make that quote without the large letters and colored text, but thanks for recognizing my picque. 

I just now clicked on Ray's post with the link.  Under the black graphic IS a red, underlined line.  I did NOT create it myself & I wouldn't even know how to do it within a link!

Full-timed for 16 Years