OT: WiFi Ranger.

SuiteSuccess

We bought our trailer used and it came with a WiFi Ranger Sky2.  Never used it but don’t have the password from the previous owner.  I have all the identification numbers and tried the factory reset which requires multiple timed reboots but it did nothing.  Any suggestions so ai can reset to factory settings?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, I had similar difficulty with one of their other products. Connected via the Ethernet port to my laptop. Bingo, that got me in and was able to reset. It might be worth a try if the Sky has an Ethernet port. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

1 hour ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Carl, I had similar difficulty with one of their other products. Connected via the Ethernet port to my laptop. Bingo, that got me in and was able to reset. It might be worth a try if the Sky has an Ethernet port. 

Thanks Jim.  All I can find is a box and antennae on the roof and an on/ off switch in the main power compartment (where slide buttons etc are).  Should there be another component somewhere?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, looked it up on RV Mobile Network’s site and there’s no Ethernet port on the Sky2 and it can operate independently or paired with one of their inside units. It’s been discontinued. 

We used to have an outside WiFi router but found it’s utility to be very limited. There were occasions we used it but in my opinion it didn’t justify  the cost of upgrading every few years.  We still have an inside router serving as the hub for the TVs, laptop, phones, printer and etc which is pretty useful when one device wants to “talk” to another on the same network. 

Here’s the link to Mobile Internet’s review, though it may not work without subscription. 
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/wifiranger-sky2/

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Thanks Jim.  I found an upgrade kit to make it a “Sky4” but that will probably not be supported soon.  Think I’ll just use it as a roof ornament, lol.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, most routers have a tiny reset button, often on the back of the unit. While it has power, press and hold said reset button in for about 30 seconds. A "tool" like a paper clip is often small enough to press said reset button in. Once reset, it should show up on a computer as a basic / generic router in which you can enter the ID and password you choose. From what I see in the picture, you may have to remove the weather proof cover to gain access to the reset button. Here are some links to WiFi Ranger set up and Control Panel:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wifiranger+control+panel&t=chromentp&ia=web

Have you tried calling or contacting WFR support through their website? I have found them to be extremely helpful. I believe DocJ on this forum is still associated with WFR. Try sending him a personal message. He is very knowledgeable regarding the WFR products. I believe the reset procedure using reboots has changed more than once. Not sure what the current intervals are. It may depend on the firmware version the router is running.  

Have you seen this video below?  It would work if the previous owner never changed the default password.

Otherwise, I would definitely call WiFiRanger.  Phone: 208.321.5544 (open at 8 a.m.)  They are based in Meridian, Idaho.  Very helpful people!  Time your call for early during the workday, you will have an easier time getting through.  We LOVE our WiFiRanger product.  I'm currently using it to be on the WiFi network at the Elks Lodge we are parked at.

19 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks Jim.  I found an upgrade kit to make it a “Sky4” but that will probably not be supported soon.  Think I’ll just use it as a roof ornament, lol.

Sorry I am late coming to this discussion.  

One thing I want to verify is whether you are actually seeing a broadcast from the Ranger.  If you are, then trying to perform a reset is the correct way to get the password set back to the default.  I assume you are using a time or stopwatch to timed the reboots and are using the switch that controls power to the device.

If you can't get the router to reset or you aren't seeing a WiFi broadcast at all, then the best option would be to purchase the upgrade kit hat will restores it and transform it into a Sky4.  I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Sky4 wouldn't be supported; it's still one of the primary devices we sell for installation on new RVs.  It can be ordered from our website:  Sky series upgrade/repair kit

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

22 hours ago, docj said:

Sorry I am late coming to this discussion.  

One thing I want to verify is whether you are actually seeing a broadcast from the Ranger.  If you are, then trying to perform a reset is the correct way to get the password set back to the default.  I assume you are using a time or stopwatch to timed the reboots and are using the switch that controls power to the device.

If you can't get the router to reset or you aren't seeing a WiFi broadcast at all, then the best option would be to purchase the upgrade kit hat will restores it and transform it into a Sky4.  I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Sky4 wouldn't be supported; it's still one of the primary devices we sell for installation on new RVs.  It can be ordered from our website:  Sky series upgrade/repair kit

No offense docj, just saw Sky2 was introduced in 2015 and is now obsolete (see Jim’s link above).  Didn’t want to update a product that would be quickly obsolete or no longer supported.  Anyway back to problem at hand.  I am not even seeing a broadcast from the Ranger.  I did the reboot sequence on two separate occasions using a stopwatch and the power switch.  I assume the upgrade sets it back to factory password etc.?  Thanks for the help.  Will look into the upgrade and probably go that way.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Anyway back to problem at hand.  I am not even seeing a broadcast from the Ranger.  I did the reboot sequence on two separate occasions using a stopwatch and the power switch.

If you don't have a broadcast after doing all that, the rebuild kit is the logical next step.

However, it is worth noting that you could, alternatively, upgrade to one of the newer Converge models since you have 12V power on the roof and don't need a cable to connect to another router inside the RV.  If you were to consider going that route you should let the WiFiRanger staff know that you are upgrading from an existing installation and would want the power wires to exit the case from the bottom rather than the back.

FWIW the Denali and Everest Converge models are more powerful than the Sky4 and the Everest has dual band WiFi (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz) also.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

7 hours ago, docj said:

If you don't have a broadcast after doing all that, the rebuild kit is the logical next step.

However, it is worth noting that you could, alternatively, upgrade to one of the newer Converge models since you have 12V power on the roof and don't need a cable to connect to another router inside the RV.  If you were to consider going that route you should let the WiFiRanger staff know that you are upgrading from an existing installation and would want the power wires to exit the case from the bottom rather than the back.

FWIW the Denali and Everest Converge models are more powerful than the Sky4 and the Everest has dual band WiFi (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz) also.

Thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3