New carb for gen

I need a new carb for my Onan 5500. It’s part number 541-0765. Looks like they run $450-$500. 

I prefer oem but the Amazon replacements are $50 each. Anyone have good luck with the knockoffs? Do I stick with oem? Wanted to clean and rebuild, but when tightening the altitude knob (black piece missing) because it was way too fat, the adjustment screw broke off (oops). So looks like a new one needed 

yes oem is costly. you are paying for the brand name. and far better quality control as it will fit correctly and work correctly.  as the (i do not want to accused as going political here) knockoffs can be more of a problem than one can believe. and not just for a carb.

so i say buy oem and relax.

Edited by packnrat

48 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I have to wonder why you think you need a new carb ? 

Did you smash it with a huge hammer or run over it with a 'dozer or some such ? 

Well, I broke the brass altitude screw, which I cannot seem to find a replacement parts kit. Looks like they are just sold as a unit 

Amazon will allow you to do a return within 30 days. Buy it and try it. If it does not work properly return it as defective.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

As I implied , I wouldn't waste time or money if the generator runs fine as it is . But , that's me .

If you feel the need to have a new needle , buy the cheapest repop carb you can and simply use its needle in the current OEM carb . 

Goes around , comes around .

59 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

As I implied , I wouldn't waste time or money if the generator runs fine as it is . But , that's me .

If you feel the need to have a new needle , buy the cheapest repop carb you can and simply use its needle in the current OEM carb . 

This was a consideration.  

1 hour ago, Ranger Smith said:

Amazon will allow you to do a return within 30 days. Buy it and try it. If it does not work properly return it as defective.

The only issue there is I’m going on a 7 day boondocking trip in 2 weeks. I need it to work! 2 kids under 2 with no a/c in 90*+ heat isn’t gonna work 

Take the broken parts to a machine shop and have an new one made.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

**UPDATE** well, I’m sold on the carbhub carbs from Amazon. I bought 2 just in case. A 10mm socket and flat blade screwdriver had it switched out and running in 15 min. It starts east now, runs smooth and works perfect. For the first 2-3 min it surged but hasn’t a single time since. It now runs better than it did with the original equipment. Hopefully it keeps on keepin on. 

• 3 weeks later...