Camping trip - a bust

hemsteadc

My camping trip from hell:

Drove 3 hours to arrive at my favorite BLM camp.  Full. Completely full, on a Wednesday. I've been camping here for years and this has never happened.

Drove back 45 miles to plan B campground.  Space available, but there's a forest fire burning 3 miles away, the wind is howling, and no sign of anyone trying to put it out.  People were camping there, and a guy told me if there was danger the sheriff would come by and get us out. I'm sorry, that doesn't seem like a great way to get a good night's sleep.  

Drove another 80 miles to Mesa Verde NP.  Campground partially open, just one loop for tents. Lots of campers, but I can't fit in there.  Now it's 5pm.

Drove 35 miles to find another campground closed.

Well, that's 4 possibilities down the tubes. Gave up and drove home.  Arrived just before dark at 7:30pm.

9 hours of non-stop driving only to end up back where I started.  Oh well, at least the cat survived and I didn't have a breakdown.  I'll wait a few weeks until things have settled down. This was the first good weather and everyone wants to go camping.

Edited by hemsteadc

It will probably get worse. That is why I prefer to make reservations even though sometimes that doesn't work but getting to the campground early does help. I have a trip planned in the fall that might use some BLM camping but at least there appears to be multiple spots in the area. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

getting to the campground early does help. 

That was probably my mistake.. getting there in the afternoon. There were a couple spaces with a tent in one and a table in the other, and just one that appeared paid for.  Somebody always has to game the system by doing that.  

Edited by hemsteadc

• 2 weeks later...

Bad advice here.....

Get a horse........very few camps will let you in.....

Lottsa folks don't want to  camp near horses (they bark too much,,,,)

Camping with a horse increases the work of camping so much that you will want to not kamp too long......

You never can never have too much water when you kamp with a horse .....until.....you are forking manure ankle deep in mud......

Oh ya.....when you do find a campground that will allow the nag in then you get to show how rich you used to be by dragging out your ......HORSE PAPERWORK that is bigger than Trump Taxes and likely cost more but dont worry it expires EVERY six months ($275 to $660 depending on how many states you transit).......

Get a horse,,,,,,,way more than any camping hell .......

Drive on..........is the horse still in the trailer.....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S