Friend Traveling to Bozeman Montana

Vegas Teacher

Howdy all,

I have a friend traveling from Las Vegas North on 15 to Bozeman Montana. She is driving a 48 foot class A Newmar Motor coach. She is worried about road conditions currently as she heads north. Does anybody have any words of warning or advice for the route she will be taking? I am not sure of which highway she will be heading east on but more than likely whatever is the most direct. She drive 6 hours or less each day or 300 miles. So it is going to be a very long trip for her.

So if you live along this route and can let me know if any weather dangers are lurking please chime in!!!!!

Later,

Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher.

Watch the weather in northern Idaho/southern Montana, (think Monida Pass), then around Butte, MT.  90 is an easy e/w route, but 15-20-197 has better scenery. Keep a very close eye on the weather on this route, year round.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I was told by someone on this site, to stay away from route 26 between Idaho Falls and Jackson WY. 
In the summer watch the internet for fire areas. Not usually a problem (I think?) but nice to know about.  

Also beautiful scenery between Ennis and Bozeman (287-84) with one tight curve between cliffs and river.  We made it no problem in our rig just don’t let the tight turns on a short stretch surprise you. Additionally be aware there is a higher pass, and snow/fog chance north of Ennis. If she might go that way.  Lots of boondocking spots on that river too.  It’s the Madison River. 
8 months ago the road got quite rough south of the Montana line, on route 20. It was a few miles not the whole way. I forget exactly where.  Might be after the highway narrows to 2 lanes. 
If your friend likes fly fishing she should come prepared.  There is a fairground in Bozeman we used. It was a decent neighborhood and inexpensive.  Elizabeth City west of Ennis is interesting.  
I hope this helps.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

18 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I was told by someone on this site, to stay away from route 26 between Idaho Falls and Jackson WY. 

Hwy 26 is a very easy drive. It runs along the river.  Perfectly OK for any size RV. It's flat.

You may be thinking of Hwy 22 (Teton Pass) between Victor & Jackson.  That's a biggie!  10% grades.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Hwy 26 is a very easy drive. It runs along the river.  Perfectly OK for any size RV. It's flat.

You may be thinking of Hwy 22 (Teton Pass) between Victor & Jackson.  That's a biggie!  10% grades.

I stand corrected.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

16 hours ago, Sculptor said:

In the summer watch the internet for fire areas. Not usually a problem (I think?) but nice to know about.  

Also beautiful scenery between Ennis and Bozeman (287-84) with one tight curve between cliffs and river.  We made it no problem in our rig just don’t let the tight turns on a short stretch surprise you. Additionally be aware there is a higher pass, and snow/fog chance north of Ennis. If she might go that way.  Lots of boondocking spots on that river too.  It’s the Madison River. 
8 months ago the road got quite rough south of the Montana line, on route 20. It was a few miles not the whole way. I forget exactly where.  Might be after the highway narrows to 2 lanes. 
If your friend likes fly fishing she should come prepared.  There is a fairground in Bozeman we used. It was a decent neighborhood and inexpensive.  Elizabeth City west of Ennis is interesting.  
I hope this helps.

Thanks, I am passing along this information!!!!