We are making the plunge into full-time living at the end of April. We plan on bringing our Polaris RZR with us and are excited to seek out new riding areas wherever we go. 

We do not have a set itinerary at the moment. Once we close on our house, we'll be parking our rig on a family member's land while we get it situated, and decide where we want to travel first. We want to do a solid mix of boondocking & campgrounds. What I'm looking for is anyone's personal experience of traveling with a ATV/UTV and staying in campgrounds. We chose a toy hauler because we have a toy - obviously - but we also wanted one because of the versatility of the garage space. I will be working full time from the road and planned to utilize the garage as extra office/living space. 

How do campgrounds usually handle folks like us who have a toy that is not the typical golf cart or motorcycle? Of course, we'd do our research and find out the rules before booking, but I'm curious if anyone here has any personal experience with this, and how you've found campgrounds to be in the case of an ATV or UTV. If riding is prohibited that's a given...but I wonder how campgrounds handle visitors who unload their toys to park them for the duration of their stay. 

TIA! 

Edited by vlbrown86

Around me in ND, alot of parks have signs that state no ATV/UTVs.  But, you can drive them on any gravel road with 50mph speed limit; some towns allow them on the street, some don't.  But, from what I've read, UTVs, if you can put a car license on them if they have proper lights/turn signals/brake lights, ie street legal.  Private CGs, it's a crap-shoot, need to ask each one individually.  Here in ND, if you don't have the (tax) sticker on it from your home state, you will get a ticket. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

It is usually campground specific.  Some don’t have any issues with them and some do.  It will be a case by case basis.  There are some campgrounds that will not let you unload the SXS on their property.  You will have to ask each campground when you reserve your site.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

It is usually campground specific.  Some don’t have any issues with them and some do.  It will be a case by case basis.  There are some campgrounds that will not let you unload the SXS on their property.  You will have to ask each campground when you reserve your site.

I figured as much...in our area (New England) it's not allowed at most campgrounds unless we're way north. thanks for the feedback! 

I don't have one, but by observation they are far more common in RV parks in the west, probably because there is a lot more to explore with one. I went in and looked at all of the campgrounds that we stayed in last year and found no restrictions on such vehicles in any of their rules. I did find 2 in more developed areas that restricted the use inside of their parks in the rules, but no prohibition of unloading one. The 2 with restrictions also applied the restrictions to motorcycles. I'm not sure how much that helps, but since you have only had 2 replies I thought that I'd offer the little that I know. In the desert areas where many snowbirds go, vehicles of that sort are very common and Escapees has a special interest group for them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

by observation they are far more common in RV parks in the west

Yes, and that aligns with what I assumed, as well. Hoping we don't find that restriction in too many places, as it would be a real drag to have to keep it loaded and lose half our living space. thanks!! 

Keep in mind that all the unloaded 'stuff' will have to fit on your site and many times, wheeled things need to be kept on the actual parking spot; not in the grass, gravel or dirt of the site.  Likewise, no riding on your site itself.  We volunteered for national parks and state parks and some were very strict with this.

Good luck with your new lifestyle!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We mostly boondock in the west and prefer to stay in dispersed camping not in campgrounds.  Most of those areas allow ATV use.  Driving on public roads is complicated.  That is area specific.  Sometimes specific to a defined area or certain roads in a county.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 3/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, 2gypsies said:

Keep in mind that all the unloaded 'stuff' will have to fit on your site and many times, wheeled things need to be kept on the actual parking spot; not in the grass, gravel or dirt of the site.  Likewise, no riding on your site itself.  We volunteered for national parks and state parks and some were very strict with this.

Good luck with your new lifestyle!

thank you! good tip. 

On 3/22/2022 at 9:44 PM, Randyretired said:

We mostly boondock in the west and prefer to stay in dispersed camping not in campgrounds.  Most of those areas allow ATV use.  Driving on public roads is complicated.  That is area specific.  Sometimes specific to a defined area or certain roads in a county.

Our goal once we get settled into our rig and get situated, is to make our way out west and boondock as much as we are able. We've been researching laws and rules in different areas...my folks live in AZ so we'll be spending a lot of time out there and the rules are fairly lenient (at least in their area). We frequently see people on sxs on main roads (i've seen some on main roads I'd never be comfortable driving ours on, but hey, to each his own :D ). Thanks for the input! 

1 hour ago, vlbrown86 said:

Our goal once we get settled into our rig and get situated, is to make our way out west and boondock as much as we are able. We've been researching laws and rules in different areas...my folks live in AZ so we'll be spending a lot of time out there and the rules are fairly lenient (at least in their area). We frequently see people on sxs on main roads (i've seen some on main roads I'd never be comfortable driving ours on, but hey, to each his own :D ). Thanks for the input! 

Arizona is pretty easy going as far as sxs.  We have taken our RZR there and it was always easy to find a place to ride.  We see a lot of sxs's on the street and once saw one advertised as never been off road.  Laughlin NV sometimes has  a big sxs race.  Big fast and expensive machines.  Especially during the winter it would be hard to find a better place to ride.  We are in Colorado and there are a lot of trails here.  Many still covered in snow and many are 50" or less.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift