Being diagnosed with macular degeneration is not fun

Last weekend I visited a shoot range. I did not take rifle along as I was not a member.

My wife and son were along.   The wife gets antsy when she is not interested in what I am doing. But the son was interested as there was one long range black powder shooter there.

In five shots at 500 meters, he hit the last four on a ram. Without optics. At this range they shoot chickens at 300 meters . Turkeys at 400 meters also.

So it can be done.   But can I do that with my rifle.    

But yesterday my eyes were playing tricks on me. Or so I thought. That milk jug at 600 yards was blank.   Ok watched tv last night, no problems.  Went this am, that milk jug cannot be seen. 

Ok .  So on my way to town this am, i notice it was gone.  Now the road crew that was putting in new guard rail along the road. Apparently took my milk jug down.

So I have two weeks to figure out if I want to show up at a regional bpcr shoot.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would give a update on my eye situation.

We have been back in Montana for two weeks, so it was time to make doctors appointments.   

On the 25th of August is my next ophthalmologist appointment. We are back at our site in North West Montana. I have a garbage can lid on a concrete wall at 1000 yards.

When morning sun it on that concrete wall I can see that lid without glasses. The concrete wall is along a highway.

It is one of those normal concrete barriers that is used along highways.

I am still taking 1 willow bark capsule a day. I also take PreserVision. I have taken PreserVision since I was first diagnosed with macular degeneration in both eyes.    

Will report on what the Ophthalmologist finds and what he has to say. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I had a appointment with my ophthalmologist.

Did the normal eye test.   Prescription for my glasses are the same. 

The ophthalmologist said that my eyes look good. Basically my problems are gone, that were causing AMD. I had wet in the left eye and dry in the right eye.

I will try to get a copy of my report on Monday.  To have a better understanding of his diagnosis’s.

Vern

Sounds like you're doing fine with the eye disease. Stay the course. I would participate in the shoot even if just for having fun.

IMO it's always good to challenge yourself. I have glaucoma and tremors, which means I cannot shoot free-hand or see the target well, I must use sandbags. i still have fun with this relaxing hobby.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Yesterday I had a appointment with my ophthalmologist.

Did the normal eye test.   Prescription for my glasses are the same. 

The ophthalmologist said that my eyes look good. Basically my problems are gone, that were causing AMD. I had wet in the left eye and dry in the right eye.

I will try to get a copy of my report on Monday.  To have a better understanding of his diagnosis’s.

Vern

Macular does not disappear but it can be controlled.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/agerelated-macular-degeneration-amd#:~:text=Risk factors for AMD include,the progression of the disease.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching my diagnosis.

It is confusing to me. And it is scary to me also.

My normal Ophthalmologist is the one that originally diagnosed me. I had never met the first ophthalmologist, before I had eye problems.  So from September 3 2020 until December 18th 2021. I was getting injections in both eyes. Every 6 weeks or shortly there after.

Up till my last visit, I believe he just thought that my situation finally got bad enough to see a eye doctor. That I had problems for some time before. As in not just 4 to 6 weeks that I had vision problems.

This was the summer of 2020.

Second ophthalmologist just went along with it. He was in Truth or Consequences NM.

There is another very rare explanation for my situation. I have only stumbled it to this situation about a week ago. 

I am still trying to understand my situation. 

I am planning on getting the information to my ophthalmologist this week. At the last visit he did ask if I could share what I find, if I thought it was related to my situation..

will keep informed.

• 3 months later...

Today it is 2 years since I have had a treatment from a Ophthalmologist for my eyes.

My next appointment for a checkup is February 28.     Unless I have a problem.

I also have reduced my willow bark extract intake to only one capsule a week. This reduction of willow bark extract started two months ago. I have seen no difference in my vision. My prescription glasses are still needed.

Will keep informed,   Vern

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I had a visit to the ophthalmologist.

Had a detailed vision test. Then had my eyes dilated.

The ophthalmologist came into the room. We talked about my vision. He is more than confused.

But said my vision has been stable for over 18 months. I told him the different vision test I have been doing.

I also told him how to find new medical information on the net. That is new medical information for all medical situations.

He never heard of Google Scholar.  

This website has no advertising? No selling of anything. Just factual information. 

My internist Dr. uses Google Scholar for her research daily.

I had an eye Dr. appt. Tuesday afternoon. He had diagnosed me with beginning Glaucoma a few years ago and put me on Latanaprost eye drops to  bring the pressure down. Tuesday it was 16 in left, 17 in right, right in the middle of the normal range, with  20/30 left and 20/40 right eye. Not too bad for being 81, the important thing is to follow Dr.s instructions exactly.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I refuse to allow the pupil dilation drops (What is Tropicamide made or derived from? : deadly nightshade)
There is a small up-charge for not using the drops - there is an alternative method of imaging the retina.
For some reason, the effects of tropicamide are not completely gone after a few hours.  My vision will retain a slight softness (lack of acuity) for several days.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich